Is the “electorate’s choiceâ€

An interesting question has arisen, in the wake of the announcement yesterday that the RCMP are proceeding with criminal code charges against Prince Rupert city councillor Tony Briglio over an alleged incident at Seafest last June.

If an elected official were found guilty of any criminal code charges not directly related to city business, would they still be allowed to serve out their term on council?

While we shall not pre judge the current case set to go before the courts in January and keeping in mind the right of presumed innocence until found guilty, the process of municipal politics makes for an interesting study here…

( from  the blog a town called podunk,  click on the link below to see the entire article   http://atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html#5262865164050853358) –

Well considering how long it sometimes takes to get to trial,  we could be voting for a new counsel before he gets his day in court.

Oh and for anyone interested in viewing this January 7th appearance, I wouldn’t get all excited. That’s a Monday, which is first appearance court. People appear in front of a Justice of the Peace who handles the preliminary work before it gets to court. There are usually multiple appearances on Monday’s before a case ever gets close to the courtroom. I doubt Briglio will even appear on the 7th. I’m sure he’ll instead have his lawyer handle the appearance.

[quote=“ThePodunkian”]
If an elected official were found guilty of any criminal code charges not directly related to city business, would they still be allowed to serve out their term on council? [/quote]

According to Mr Pond - yes, they can. In looking through the Community Charter, I couldn’t find any immediate reference to what happens if a councillor is found guilty of criminal charges. I found references to how a councillor is expected to conduct themselves though.

Regardless of whether Mr Briglio is convicted on these charges, I believe he owes the community an apology. That was a community event and he is a community leader - is he not supposed to be a role model?

If nothing else, he should ‘wear’ his shame. It would be a very mature and responsible way to address the consequences of a bad choice (i.e. drinking to excess). It may also help send a message to the rest of the community that the sort of behaviour he has been charged with is inappropriate and destructive.

The only person Briglio owes anything to is Mr.Baggs. He owes him a tetnus shot or something. This was really a very small incident, but it would go a long way to address the issue in some way.
I do not think that the city should be even considering removing him from office, just the cost alone is enough of an arguement for me. :smile:

I was digging around the internets today and found the criminal code for all assaults:

lawyers.ca/statutes/criminal … ssault.htm

Podunkian can you post those references?

Also my input is yes he should be removed as I believe city councilors should be role models for the community and should conduct themselves as such. 

Also I don’t think there would be any cost at all, Just run a councilor short.

Just my 2 cents.

So, if he is found innocent, he should still apologize??

If we really believe that a “person is innocent until found guilty” than maybe we should all step back a bit and let due process take its course. Otherwise, we really aren’t applying fairly this basic precept of our justice system.

I believe that - regardless of whether he is found guilty on assault charges - he should apologize for the mistake of publicly drinking to excess. THIS is a bad example that perpetuates the drinking culture of Prince Rupert.

We should be able to expect our leaders to own up to mistakes and - even better - tell us what they learned from those mistakes. To me, that is what being a leader is about.

Who is to know/judge if he actually drank “in excess”.  How do you gauge that?

Generally, being asked to leave a public event and/or falling asleep at the table are both good indicators that someone has had too much to drink.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t begrudge him a few drinks - or even getting drunk at the beer gardens…he certainly wasn’t alone.  I just think that as a role model in the community, he should own up to a mistake.

So the court proceedings are not enough for you? What exactly would be enough? Tar and feather the man? Maybe you could nail him to a cross and have him walk through the town?!?! lol

[quote=“chiefdave”]
So the court proceedings are not enough for you? What exactly would be enough? Tar and feather the man? Maybe you could nail him to a cross and have him walk through the town?!?! lol [/quote]

Ah…irrational hyperbole…what a shocker!  :unamused:

Are you saying that publicly elected officials should be exempt from basic human responsibility? Not nearly enough of us are willing to admit when we have made a mistake and own up to it.

A real leader would take that step - to set a higher standard.

I know that we - in Rupert - have fairly low standards, and I think it is high time we raise that standard.

I don’t think he should be removed from office - even if he is found guilty of assault. But I don’t think he should wait for a court order to address his own behaviour - that is HIS respsonsibility… just as it is each of our own responsibilities to be accountable for our own behaviour.

A noble sentiment, but not a realistic one. There is no way he is going to publicly apologize for any wrong doing related to this incident, when those very comments could end up used against him in criminal/civil court.