Is drinking and driving a good idea

The newspaper couldn’t possibly post the names of everyone who went to court. Plus if they did there would be no “shock value” to posting them at all which is clearly working in the case of the DUI people. Newspapers post things that get people talking. This has worked in that regard.

If you want to “publish” the names of people who get charged with things then by all means step up and publish them. Anyone here could create a website to do so. Every courtroom in Canada is open to the public unless specifically closed by the Judge which is not common. Any person can get the information on who is charged with what. It’s public knowledge and happens in front of everyone in court. Hell you might even convince your local newspaper to let you write a “court watch” column.

Put up or shut up girls.

Good on the RCMP for publishing convictions.  Here’s one that somehow missed HTMF:

rcmpwatch.com/rcmp-boss-in-h … ver-moose/

I will leave that to the journalists in the meantime I will continue putting my efforts towards being part of a multi service team that does all that they can to save the lives of those hurt by drunk drivers.

So you will excuse me if I am not going to be preached to about steping up to the plate.

Yes, that one was all over the radio a few weeks ago.  Insp Noble wasn’t the only one fined however, there were a couple other guys who got in deep doo-doo too.

Oh and on drunk drivers… I welcome the publishing of their names too.  If you don’t like other people knowing… DON’T DO IT!  We live in Prince Rupert… it’s not like the 10 people that drove by while you were pulled over didn’t clue into what was going on in the first place.  :unamused:

Was I talking to you? Oh sorry… I guess I confused you when I used the phrase “ladies”.

Won’t somebody please think of the automobiles?

well the post was made and the information is out there. you all said your piece. are you going to drink and drive now that you will be publicly humiliated in the daily news. and every time you step into a grocery store, or the movie theater people are going to know what kind of idiot you are, a danger to society. you will not only bring shame upon yourself , but your children and the rest of your family. you parents will have to explain to their friends y their son/daughter was in the paper. and not in the paper for something good, but in the paper because you were a danger to society. how is that going to make you feel

I am not a drinker, not even socially.  However, this does not make me the type of person who will dislike those who do.  In fact, some of the best times I’ve had in life, were at parties with a great bunch of fun people who were all drinking and having fun.  “FUN”, being the operative word.  I really do think that some people who drink are more fun to be around, than when they’re sober.  Whether out and about in a night club, local bar, or at a friend’s house, I usually tend to direct myself to where the positive energy is.  (I do not like to be in the company of those who drink and become negative, mean and nasty.)  I’ve had so many great times with so many people.  Really, I have.  The aspect of drinking, telling jokes, relaxing and eventually saying stories about yourself you would never say sober, is truly an event you would like to repeat.  But, take away the party, take away the alcohol and one realizes with horror… “how do I get home?”  While a person’s decision-making ability is now impaired, they have to make an intoxicated decision, and its so true to think that the person in question is more sober than the rest of them… it seems to always be the case.  Who’s fault is it that the party-goer didn’t plan out the evening a bit better?  If the party-goer drives to a party to get drunk, then ‘intent’ to drive drunk was made before alcohol was even admitted.  Its very difficult to convince a drunk that they are too drunk to drive, not all but most.  I strongly believe that if people are going to need wheels after an evening of partying that they should be responsible in planning out how to get home before they start partying.  Its that simple. 

It sounds like Prince Rupert has had more than it can deal with regarding drunk drivers.  I have been through a lot of road blocks, so I know they’re out there.  For those who think it is unfair that the Daily News is publishing the names of those convicted of this criminal activity, I do have a question…  What would you propose in doing to curtail the problem of drinking and driving in your community?

I tip my hat to the RCMP and moreso to the Daily News for this newest realm of fighting back by publishing the names of those convicted.  Reading those names means nothing to me personally, but if this solution will taper the problem, then I am all for it.

Agreed.  If you head out drinking plan in advance how you will get home.

…writing in long drawn out paragraphs…loses peoples attention…quick easy to read and attention getting was my purpose

and again the bravado and the trash talking a few of you  on here do so often I find amusing.

I disagree that writing in caps causes people to focus on how I wrote it instead of what I wrote especially that I am writing from a victim’s point of view  and a person who deals with the consequences of drinking and driving.

Instead I believe those who choose to question the method despite of the message dont like what I have to say… Especially being provoked  over something so superficial and using caps.

Eh, the use of caps online is regarded akin to shouting in someones ear.  Generally acknowledged as rude forum etiquette.  I’m guessing it was un-intentional, but people would rather get into an argument about it than explain that.

As for the posting of names, good on them.  I don’t think it will have a huge impact, but if it helps at all I’d think its worth it.

emma christison is cute maybe if i drink and drive i can impress her and then i’ll be all like wahooo.

ray noble has cool bikes, i dont know how cool of a dude he is but he has some cool bikes.

Ya,
dont drink and drive cause you might spill your beer, and that is alcohol abuse.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Karma,  I can not tell you that I share your grief or understand you because  I haven’t experienced the same thing you did.  However I can empathize with you with regards to you loss and I feel deeply sorry that such an incident happened to you.  I lost a 3 years old cousin in the same way but I was fairly young and didn’t really understand the impact like you did.

But I also think that the posting of names should be reserved for second time offenders.  Yes, drinking and driving is an irresponsible behaviour nowadays.  Yes, people who do it are not thinking of others.  Yes, people who get caught should be severely reprimanded.  But having the names published in such a way is not a deterrent but a way of pointing fingers and scapegoating on a few individuals.

A relative of mine got caught impaired driving in Montreal.  He hit a parked car while fetching his cell phone that had fell on the floor.  Thank god no one was around so nobody got hurt.  Being an honest person, he stayed on the scene until the cops came.  They did the test on him and found him impaired.  He spent the night in jail and subsequently had his drivers’ license suspended for a substantial amount of time  (one year  I think) which made it difficult for him to keep working as he needed his vehicle and he also got a criminal record which prevented him from leaving the country even though he had a chance to work in the Caribbeans.  His life came to a stop and he became very disgusted with himself for awhile and now, 4 years down the road, he is starting to see things more positively. 
After witnessing this, I can’t agree with adding the public humiliation to people who might have had just above the allowed blood alcohol level in their system. 
But repeat offenders should be dealt with harshly and publishing names is fine.  They got their one chance.

I have talked with some RCMP about why they aren’t tougher with drunk drivers.  Most people who blow over 0.08 aren’t charged at all but simply receive a 24-hour suspension.  Only the most flagrant offenders high over the legal limit or people with multiple drunk driving episodes get charged.

I asked the officers why they don’t charge more people, their answers were:

1.  It takes hours of paperwork to process one drunk driver, this takes the officer away from his duties for most of his shift.

2.  The court system is so lax it is pointless to prosecute most drunk drivers, convictions are hard to get and even if a drunk driver is convicted the left-wing judge will not dole out any severe punishment.

Drunk drivers are putting others’ lives in danger.  In particular they are endangering my family as well as everyone else’s families.

In my opinion drunk drivers are among the lowest scum there are.  Publicize their names, embarrass them, if they don’t like it who cares.  Drunk drivers made their choice so they can live with the consequences.  I have much more concern for their victims who do not have any choice in the matter.

Agreed using caps is akin to shouting and I was very mad when I wrote it …reading what I did.

I wanted to be seen as shouting and it was directed at those who think this is ok.
I wanted to provoke one of these people into a conversation. I was outraged to read such ignorance after the slaughter of my family members from Rupert.

I read these posts just hours after dealing with a serious MVA involving a drunk driver. But I also am not going to be lectured to about being heard properly by those few who chose to express themselves in childish and immature manner.

trilinearmipmap thank you for sharing your loss and views in a mature manner

I hope not to sound like I am in support of drunk driving but I do have some concerns over the RCMP publishing the names of those being charged with Impaired Driving.

These people have only been charged, not yet convicted of anything.  They have the right to their day in court but are already now convicted in the public eye.
They are, as BigThumb eluded to in his example, in most cases average ordinary people who have made a single poor decision and now have to live with the guilt of what happened.  Their lives are forever changed even without the public humiliation.

Why are the names of the many local drug dealers, sex offenders and petty theives not made public when charges are laid?? How about publicly humiliating them too?  Why single out one group??  These are the people who really choose to live their lives in a dishonest manner with no regard for the law as opposed to making a single poor choice.

I also have been effected by the results of Impaired Driving as I have witnessed death more than once first hand as a result of it.  And no, I wasn’t driving.

Everybody who has been convicted of a crime should have there name published in they paper maybe we will  have a bigger papaer and one worth paying for