Internet service

Don’t even bother speed testing if you’re connecting wireless - plug in. Old routers suck, especially if there’s more than one connection.
Best I could get out of an old Dlink was about 4Mb, plugged in got over 30Mbps.
Just set up a 7 link 7 km wireless hop 30 Mb from office, 26Mb on customer’s computer. Last hop is a cheap Belkin N300.

Okay, thanks for the advice, my wireless router is pretty crappy. However, I have done some tests plugged directly into the modem and still had speeds that were below 3 mbps during peak times. So maybe a better router will help my devices share the signal better.

Thanks!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Old routers suck, especially if there’s more than one connection.
[/quote]

Yep. I get good connectivity with my router on wired and wireless. This is my router. For me it has been worth the money.

ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

Best cheap router: ($60-$70)
thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-be … ys-ea2700/

A good wifi router: ($90-100)
thewirecutter.com/reviews/asus-rt-n56u/

The best one: ($150 or so)
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-w … s-rt-n66u/

[quote=“MiG”]
The best one: ($150 or so)
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-w … s-rt-n66u/[/quote]

That link also suggests that one have a look at the RT-AC66U (my router). Asus makes great routers.

Chuckling at MiGs’s cheap $60-$70 routers. Cuz I keep going to service someone and they’ve got a $10 one from Princess Auto and freak out at a $39 Belkin… and motels trying to serve 40 units of bunked up treeplanters with an old $39 Dlink…

Yup, I have an ASUS as well. And a open-mesh network. And a Ruckus Wireless :smile: 6 SSIDs in my house. Crazy.

[quote=“MiG”]

Yup, I have an ASUS as well. And a open-mesh network. And a Ruckus Wireless :smile: 6 SSIDs in my house. Crazy.[/quote]

Nice. I wish I had your download speeds. Quantum 50 looks nice, but, I think that 20 meets my needs for now.

The AC68U has recently been released.

Upgraded to the 20 package from City West. Much improvement from the 5 I had. Download a movie in 7 mins now.

Did the 50 upgrade today. Seeing the attached speeds to Los Angeles.

Pretty happy with it so far considering we live literally at the end of the earth.

This is with a pfSense FW (P4 class), client is an i5. I see the same with my 2x2 access point @ 5Ghz. Had to kick my cable modem for it to see any difference from my old 20 plan.

Sucked back 4GB media file in just under 12 minutes.

Did some voip testing locally, and with a provider in the USA. Local is indistinguishable from a land line. The USA provider, well, VOIP without QOS over the public internet is a dice roll at best. :smile:

Tim

I got Quantum a couple of months ago. Not sure it made any difference in speed. I reset my citywest modem then tried the speedtest. Wish I hadn’t. Seems its slower than before I had them switch us over to Quantum. Oh well. I guess its better than no internet at all.

If you are getting only 6 down to Haida Gwaii on Quantum 10, and it’s not much better than you were getting before on some other slower plan, maybe the leap that it could possibly, I know its unlikely, but just for the sake of argument, might be your own equipment that is the bottleneck?

Citywest takes a beating often for posts showing much slower than what they are claiming from their customers premises. Then Citywest has to go into people’s homes only to hear “Well, I’ve got top of the line router and wifi that I bought at Best Buy. It was a great deal. On Sale!”. (insert eye roll here)

Unfortunately the great unwashed masses have an incorrect expectation that any crap they plug into the wall should get five nines of the advertised speed when it comes to technology. And then forums like these give the great unwashed masses a soap box to rant about how everything in their life is shitty, but its never their own problem. “Oh why me! Why have the tech gods forsaken me!”

Liz…

Tim

P.S. Liz is a Swype autocorrect for lolz. Yeah, I’m taking that.

[quote=“tjdressel”]Did the 50 upgrade today. Seeing the attached speeds to Los Angeles.
Pretty happy with it so far considering we live literally at the end of the earth.
Tim[/quote]

Nice. Are you consistently getting close to 50 MB/sec down? So far Quantum 20 works quite well with Netflix and downloading large files.

Can’t say for sure. I’ve only had it for one day.

With my 20 I would say I could get 20 probably 95% of the time. Weekday evenings between say 5pm and 9pm would be the worst, often not being able to get much better than 15. Torrents were particularly bad, however content coming from the three large CDN’s could usually max the pipe even in the 5pm to 9pm window which makes me suspect its a quality of the circuit issue, not a quantity available. Reasonable considering cable is a shared topology. But from Friday night until Monday mornings I could always get the full pipe which was handy for weekend movies. :smile:

I just tested again this morning, getting 49+ everywhere on the west coast of north america. Haven’t actually seen it top 50 yet though.

Cheers,

Tim

Yup, 7:20 PM in the evening and I pay for Quantum 15. And i have no cheep router, RT-N66U…

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3157716046.png

I will see what my other line is and post.

Yeah I pay for Quantum 10 as well http://www.speedtest.net/result/3157797601.png

speedtest.net/my-result/3159054651

I just upgraded to the Quantum 20 very impressed so far