Internet service

I see citywest’s new quantum 50 Mbps service will be available Monday, Dec 2nd. There will be a data cap of 500 GB monthly. I’ve been happy with the 20 Mbps service, but not sure the increase cost for the new service would justify the added speed. Any thoughts?

I agree, I will be staying at 20 unlimited as well. But considering Shaw is offering customers their “Unlimited Data” plans starting at 10 mbits for $120 / month I am not complaining yet. The faster upload speed of the 50 plan is appealing though, it would make encrypted VPN tunnels almost bearable. I may not even use up the 500 gig, I just like the idea of “no worries, no download limit”. Lets hope the 50 unlimited is offered at a reasonable price in the not too distant future.

I will be watching this quite closely. I am hopeful that CityWest will not introduce data caps at their slower speeds. I will be sticking with Quantum 20 for now.

I’ve had 100 meg with Shaw for about a year. I’m a heavy user. Probably 20 devices in the house, computers, laptops, iPads, etc.

I average around 400 gigs a month. Last month I was up to 800 gigs (started using crashplan on a critical computer). Shaw is supposed to charge for extra bandwidth over 500 gigs, but there was nothing on my bill. I don’t think they really care too much unless you’re a real hog. Hopefully Citywest will be the same.

[quote=“MiG”]I’ve had 100 meg with Shaw for about a year. I’m a heavy user. Probably 20 devices in the house, computers, laptops, iPads, etc.

I average around 400 gigs a month. Last month I was up to 800 gigs (started using crashplan on a critical computer). Shaw is supposed to charge for extra bandwidth over 500 gigs, but there was nothing on my bill. I don’t think they really care too much unless you’re a real hog. Hopefully Citywest will be the same.[/quote]

My usage has also gone up now that I am streaming stuff and I have a teenager in the house. I am glad Quantum 20 is unlimited…for now.

Has anyone else been having problems with the speed of Citywest lately? I have quantum 10 and have been very satisfied with it, up until the last month or so. I have been doing speed tests regularly and the best I’ve gotten is about 3.5. Most of the time it’s from 0.9 to 2.5. That’s pretty pitiful. I called in and the lady said she’d forward the request to her “level 2s” but I haven’t heard anything.

I only have the 5 Mbps package and I always get 550.00 Kb/s average download speed

hitest, I notice that’s at 6 in the morning. What are your speeds like in peak times, say around 7 or 8 pm?

Anyone going to bite?

Quantum 50
$120.00/mth

citywest.ca/internet/high-sp … ce-rupert/

[quote=“katray”]Anyone going to bite?

Quantum 50
$120.00/mth

citywest.ca/internet/high-sp … ce-rupert/[/quote]

Not a chance lol.

This is what you get from Shaw for $120/month:

[quote=“PLA”]This is what you get from Shaw for $120/month:

http://i.imgur.com/N5KBZ19l.png[/quote]

This is not Shaw now is it.

Rest assured you’re not dreaming.

shaw.ca/internet/broadband-250/

I’m really impressed with the ShawGo thing. At first, I thought it was a gimmick, but I put in my phone’s MAC address anyway. Turns out there are Shaw WiFi access points everywhere! I think I went from using 3 or 4 gigs of data a month on my work phone to about 200 megs last month.

Is everyone on cable or do we still have some on DSL? Thoughts?

I have DSL I believe.

Good question. Here is my speed right now.

Wow. And you’re on Quantum 20? Here’s mine right now:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3142555017.png

So maybe it’s just slow in peak times? But the 1-3 mbps still seems a bit too low to have happen.

Yes. I am on 20.
One thing you can do is take a look at your router. I recently upgraded my wireless router and got a really good one. I’m not saying you do, but, if you have a really cheap router that can be a factor in getting slower speeds.