Idle Glue Chat

Winds
Issued 10:30 AM PDT 09 October 2010 Today Tonight and Sunday

Hurricane force wind warning in effect.

Wind south 35 knots diminishing to 25 near noon then increasing to southeast 35 to 45 late this afternoon. Wind increasing to southwest 50 to 65 after midnight then diminishing to south 30 to 40 early Sunday morning. Wind diminishing to southwest 25 Sunday afternoon.Wind increasing to southwest 50 to 65 after midnight then diminishing to south 30 to 40 early Sunday morning. Wind diminishing to southwest 25 Sunday afternoon.

weatheroffice.gc.ca/marine/f … teID=03300

Pretty WILD last night, that’s for sure ! So we have to go through this yet again, hardly slept last night as house was just a vibratin’, from the WIND !!! LOL

It woke me up once. It was really howling. But I love the sound of it, so it gently rocked me back to sleep. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m actually suprised our cats didn’t blow away lol. They decided they wanted to go out at three in the morning when it was still really howling…

Actually when its crazy windy and raining like that i sleep like a log didn’t hear a thing lol, and now i look out and its like a disaster ha ha ha.

At 3am there was a loud bang in my yard - so loud I actually lept out of bed! I losta good chunch of my cherry tree…and sometime after that, half of my fence was destroyed. I’m guessing I’ll lose the rest of the fence tonite!

We didn’t lose anything at all. Everything is permanently battened down around my house.

This is par for the time of year, and to top it off, this winter is apparently going to be very wet, snowy and cold, well see but be prepared for the worst in this changing climate !

Power out in Terrace and area.

We should actually have a Prnce Rupert weather report. Wherever the wind gauge is at the airport must not ever get hit directly by the winds. It blew much harder than what it said on Global TV(reported 105). It had to have blown over 125km/h, (heard reports of close 150)and the temp is always 1-3 degrees off, plus the rainfall in town is sometimes vastly more than what the airport gets.

There is a weather station on top of City Hall but its always ‘stuck’. When it works, it updates every couple of minutes.

weather.princerupert.ca/

I just checked it and it is currently ‘stuck’ at Oct. 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm.

Another poster said it was measured at around 154 kph at Ridley and a friend of mine who works at the container port said they had gusts measured at 160 kph and their guage only measured up to 160 kph!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16484&start=30

[quote=“Hoser”]

There is a weather station on top of City Hall but its always ‘stuck’. When it works, it updates every couple of minutes.

weather.princerupert.ca/

I just checked it and it is currently ‘stuck’ at Oct. 8, 2010 at 2:02 pm.

Another poster said it was measured at around 154 kph at Ridley and a friend of mine who works at the container port said they had gusts measured at 160 kph and their guage only measured up to 160 kph!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16484&start=30[/quote]

That seems appropriate that the weather staton on top of our City Hall should be as slow and behind as those that occupy the place ! LOL (sorta!)

Not looking good for the rest of this week. Storm nearly as bad as sunday morning is predicted wednesday evening. Storm force is thursdays forecast.

Today Tonight and Wednesday

Storm warning in effect.

Wind southeast 35 knots increasing to south 40 to 50 early this morning then diminishing to 25 to 35 early this afternoon. Wind diminishing to south 20 early this evening and to 15 near midnight. Wind increasing to east 15 to 25 Wednesday morning and to southeast 40 to 50 Wednesday afternoon. Wind veering to south 45 to 55 Wednesday evening.

Looks like the power went out again early this morning in some parts of Prince Rupert. I woke up at 5AM and the power was out, woke up at 8 and it was back on. It looked like my entire street and surrounding area was all out of power…probably a lot of people late for work this morning with their alarm clocks not going off, luckily I woke up when I did.

So after reading the write up from our Mayors comments about how we weathered the storm…I am left a bit in disgust. For a city of this size we had no idea of how long it would be before power, gas etc would be returned to us we should really have some way of finding out. I tried to find the local station on my radio but atlas there was nothing but static. I have talked to people out in Port Simpson who thought they would be lucky if they got there power back by today and that is all they had heard. We couldn’t even get the weather network on tv once the cable came back on, and when we did we could find out what the weather was like at the airport in Terrace. I’d really like to see the city counsel have some sort of radio station or something for the times when we are left in the dark so the citizens of Prince Rupert could have some idea of when things might start getting brighter again!!
But on a positive note…when driving around the city to see what kind of damages had been done, I was extremely impressed by not only the city worker but members of our own community!! What a way to show the spirit of Thanksgiving!!! It’s members of the community like that that makes me happy to live here!!

I checked the weather from the City Hall site and we are still stuck at Oct.8th. ! I checked with Google and apparently weather warning issued until noon for winds gusting to 55KM but nothing for the rest of the week except the usual suspects ! Rain,rain and more rain ! I don’t care what the Mayor has to say anymore, the fact that he stooped down from his self appointed ivory tower to address us at all, his meager constituents, does nothing for me whatsoever. I want to know about our ESS team and where they were during all this. Could they not have posted on one of the sites available and keep us updated about our town? Apparently not and that sucks as when Danielle was the leader of that group, she did a great job ! Kudos to BC Hydro and the city workers and to Citywest, who when I called yesterday regarding cable outtage, promptly returned my call and were very courteous in spite of the fact she said they were very busy !! Thank goodness for this site and the info we gain here or we would be up a creek without that proverbial paddle ! Hope all had a good Thanksgiving !!

Michael Curnes away for the long weekend or so I am told, but this issue needs to be addressed, as to who is in charge when he is away…
I heard that Dave Mckenzie (not sure who he is) had said that nothing was going to be done right away…
I applaud BC Hydro Crews, PNG Crews and City West … As for the Mayor I never voted for the idiot and never expect much !
Anyway who is running ESS when Mr. Curnes is away!

Well I hope codybear is right with her forecast; however, according to Environment Canada there is 60 knot winds(69 mp/h) in the forecast for tomorrow evening for dixon entrance east, which is 4mp/h under hurricane force.

Sites like this are great for when we have power. But what about when we don’t?? We have always been taught to have an emergency radio on hand for when the power goes out or we have storms like we did this weekend…but what good is the radio when you can’t get anything but static on it??? So much for emergency planning when the only thing we can be prepared for here is slow information from our Mayor. Hope everyone has lots of batteries and flannel jammies!!

1-888-POWERON ( 769-3766) is the number you call when the power goes out. It’s BC hydro, and they give you an estimated time to when the power will be back on. It’s in the phone book…

Looks like another very nasty one on the way for monday.

Monday

Wind southeast 55 to 65 knots diminishing to south 40.