I was wondering why certain topics get closed

Just curious as to why certain topics get closed by the MODS. The topic that got closed yesterday from my eyes did not break any rules.

Your topic should have been “Why DO Topics Get Closed?” - I was counting on getting a direct answer when opening the thread with “Why Topics Get Closed”. In any event, good luck with that.

Likely because the threads have become like beating a dead horse… Pointless.

Fair enough

Riiiight! And its always nice to have someone else decide that for, to decide when you have said what you wanted to, or that all that can be said or “should” be said has happened. This is the only forum I am a member of that does this routinely, something else I have noticed is that some members are free to use profanity, if I or a few others use the same words we end up in the wasteland. This board is anything but an even playing field and does not allow free speech as others will decide when you have said what you wanted to and how you can say it. it happens all the time here and the only place I go to that it happens. Selective tolerance and censorship isnt cool in my books, MODS delete my account its useless anyways. I’ll find somewhere else to hang out, enjoy your dictatorship hitest.

LOL!!! I would expect if this really was the case many many more threads would be locked on here.

We should set up a forum where people who want things deleted routinely can argue with those who don’t want things deleted ever.

I’d say there’s just as much complaining about stuff not being locked/moved to the wasteland (we don’t delete), as there is about stuff that is moved or locked.

Go for it, lay out the circumstances when you think things should be locked, and when they shouldn’t be.

Whoever gets everyone else to agree to the rules can be the new moderator. I’m not kidding. Who is up for that challenge?

You know, I’ve been on a lot of forums over the years. One of the things that eventually kills them is exactly what’s going on here.

I had a perfectly legit thread going about radiation from Japan coming over to the west coast of Canada and the US. Had lots of readers. It vanished.

Point #2, the atmosphere here at times is poisonous. Foul language and attitude from certain members intimidates would be members. There’s only about a dozen folks who actually keep this forum going. That’s a bad sign when there are hundreds of readers in such a geographically isolated area.

I would appeal to the owner that maybe some changes do need to occur here.

x

[quote=“ChrisJ”]

Riiiight! And its always nice to have someone else decide that for, to decide when you have said what you wanted to, or that all that can be said or “should” be said has happened. This is the only forum I am a member of that does this routinely, something else I have noticed is that some members are free to use profanity, if I or a few others use the same words we end up in the wasteland. This board is anything but an even playing field and does not allow free speech as others will decide when you have said what you wanted to and how you can say it. it happens all the time here and the only place I go to that it happens. Selective tolerance and censorship isnt cool in my books, MODS delete my account its useless anyways. I’ll find somewhere else to hang out, enjoy your dictatorship hitest.[/quote]

If you don’t like the way the moderators run the forum, I don’t see why you’re still here. You have the freedom to choose to come here, you can choose to post. Why not choose to leave?

We’ve been around for almost 12 years, and we’ve heard that this place is dying plenty.

[quote]
I had a perfectly legit thread going about radiation from Japan coming over to the west coast of Canada and the US. Had lots of readers. It vanished.[/quote]

Threads don’t vanish, they go to The Wasteland. Here’s your thread. (feel free to keep posting in it!) Generally, moderators don’t moderate threads they are taking part in. I’m just as upset that our conversation was ended as you are. But I totally understand when a thread needs to end.

Who decides when it needs to end? A moderator. Each of the moderators have different triggers and different levels of comfort. I’m ok with that, and I’m sure they’re ok with it too. For example, I hate the endless First Nations/it’s not fair/blah blah blah/racists! discussions. I move those to the Wasteland as soon as I see them. Others don’t. I’m ok with that.

This isn’t a courtroom, and we do this as volunteers, and as a hobby. We’re not here 24/7.

This boils down to “HTMF should be the way I want it to be, and it will be better.” See ChrisJ’s comments above. Same thing. Do you want us to moderate those who use bad language, or moderate those who have ‘attitude’ ? He doesn’t.

Current uniques are about 1250 per day. That’s 1250 different people each day that visit HTMF. Our weekly and monthly uniques are about the same – 6500 or so. That tells me that most people check HTMF once a week or so, while regulars check in every day.

About 65% of visitors are from the Prince Rupert area. We’ve always had way more readers than posters, even in the early days.

I’m no longer the owner, but if you can outline what the rules should be, and get everyone to agree, then we’ll do it.

I’m being serious.

I just don’t think you’ll get everyone to agree. Because this thread can basically be summed up as “why can’t HTMF be the way I want it to be, not the way someone else wants it to be?”

I call them strings instead of threads.

If you don’t like the way the moderators run the forum, I don’t see why you’re still here. You have the freedom to choose to come here, you can choose to post. Why not choose to leave?

Finally bubbasteve735 after all these years I can agree with you on this one. Who would have known.

[quote=“Bandit3999”]If you don’t like the way the moderators run the forum, I don’t see why you’re still here. You have the freedom to choose to come here, you can choose to post. Why not choose to leave?

Finally bubbasteve735 after all these years I can agree with you on this one. Who would have known.[/quote]

The “love it or leave it” philosophy is far to
easy to fault and is best left to those who
can’t defend the status quo through logical
arguement.

I’m totally serious about wanting suggestions.

For example, we created the Wasteland in response to a suggestion. It seemed like a good idea.

Give us suggestions that make sense and we’ll consider them.

Can we rename the wasteland jesus land? Or texas? Or alberta?

Topic re-opened.

[quote=“MiG”]I’m totally serious about wanting suggestions.

For example, we created the Wasteland in response to a suggestion. It seemed like a good idea.

Give us suggestions that make sense and we’ll consider them.[/quote]

never ask directions from a starfish

If we want to honour our own htmf jesus, the wasteland could be named the promised land;-)

[quote=“pokerjunkie”]
never ask directions from a starfish[/quote]

Especially one that is sunbathing.