I need a new laptop

The stored key should pick the version that was originally installed.
Delivered another Binary Light switch Logic lesson today. See, the lights go out when it’s OFF. Lights still on mean NOT off.

Yep. The Ryzen laptop had Home installed on it. I wanted to install Pro and I have a key for that. The USB installer found the key for Home even after I deleted the partitions. Oh well, Home is okay I guess.

You could set it to Legacy, install Pro with key and go thru a lot of bullshit to convert it to eufi…
or just use Home. Working on one that’s Pro… he bought it for his 9 yr old kid.To play Roblox…

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, herbie! I will look into that.
At the moment I’m also considering updating in place to Home 11 or doing a clean install of Home 11. I’ll be curious to see if that little utility was correct in stating that the Legion is ready for 11.

If that won’t run 11 then nothing will.

1 Like

Agreed. I think it’ll likely run 11.

I was about to try 11 on a refurb laptop but I want to sell it ASAP, won’t use my production machines.
Just made a bi-annual visit to move pictures from an iPhone to the computer and discover again they’d paid some guy on the phone $299 US for a tune-up and desktop icon that said it was Network Firewall. Left knowing full well they hadn’t listened or watched how you make a folder, name it Snowmobiling or drag your snowmobile pics into it.
I should;ve installed Teamviewer, phoned them back and charged $399…

1 Like

I’m hopeful that Microsoft will offer their media creation tool to generate ISOs for 11. I would rather do that than have left over detritus from 10 on my SSD. Interesting days ahead.

My 18 year old finally booted up her new MacBook Air laptop for university; she set it up to her liking. She loves it.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

1 Like

AND THE DUMB AS A POTATO
Moved accountant into new office, they will use someone else’s wireless. Explained their desktop did not have wireless, don’t worry I will take care of that.
Brought USB wireless stick, showed her what it was, explained that if she unplugged it she’d lose the internet, how I set it up to automatically connect for her. Also pointed out that the cheap desk she bought might have a hole to hide cables, the little cubby on the side had no hole to pass cables through so it was for storage.
Sent the invoice a couple days ago for setup & wireless USB stick.

it’s Sunday morning she calls,early to tell me her son cut hole in the desk, reconnected the cables but she has no internet. Also how I must’ve left something there when I visited because there was this thing stuck in the back of her computer that said B-E-L-K-I-N on it. with w-i-r-e-l-e-s-s u-s-b in small letters.
Same woman who called the office 10 years ago because there was a popup on her screen that said “Microsoft has finished intalling updates” and this button that said D-O-N-E on it.

1 Like

So on September 4th we’re taking our 18 year old to university in Prince George. We’ll be hanging around for a few days. While in PG I plan to check out Sarita Computers. I have an old T420 Thinkpad that may be on its way out. I’m looking forward to see what they have.

Going into PG hang a right after WalNutz at the Cdn Tire station, then a right at next light by Chevron. Mall entrance is instantly on your left they’re down at the end by the beer store.
It’s a tiny storefront, even smaller than the one I used to have in Fort St James… refurb’d computers stacked everywhere.

1 Like

Today a lady lost her Internet. She was using someone else’s wifi because it was better than her DSL at the old house so she cancelled that.
Telus wouldn’t do anything because it wasn’t her internet (obviously). She was paying the other person (who moved away) to use it, that person evidently didn’t pay the bill.
FIVE calls later she was mad at me for informing her they wouldn’t listen to me, cuz it wasn’t mine either.
SIXTH call that they’d got it straight but it didn’t work. Yet another ON/OFF idiot, didn’t know Samrt Hub from DSL router, that Internet Access popup on the computer means it IS working, didn’t know that if start page comes up you were ON the Internet, nor know to click Different User on Gmail when her graddaughters login was listed, didn’t know to click NEXT button to go to the next step not Learn More… didn’t understand YOUR ACCOUNT WAS SUSPENDED CONTACT YOUR EMAIL ADMIN meant she needed to back to the lineup on Telus and got really really annoyed when I pointed out that she’s told Telus to turn off her Internet when she moved SO THEY DID, and that there was no point me coming there cuz I can’t administer Telus’s servers.
Old people! When they FU they really FUBAR things as much as possible and insist they didn’t.

1 Like

OMG back came a customer I hadn’t seen since Covid. Sold them a rebuilt desktop for $50 at least a year before.
Wouldn’t boot at all until a USB stick did the repair, then it was slower than bejeezus. Opened it and almost burned my fingers touching the hard drive.
Popped in an old 3.5", had to clean the drive, set BIOS to both AHCI and use stick as primary. Then installed 21H1 and it ran decently. Checked the sticker on the old hard drive - a Hitachi (known for being POS) built in 2006.
Hope she doesn’t expect it to run for another 15 1/2 years!!!
Also found the boot drive and the big case fan were on the same power feed - cause of her boot problems.
Plus I discovered a chunk of tape w my daughters name on the motherboard. I built a X2 250 system in an ‘alien’ style case way back when, she sold it to some kid who moved back here. He’d given it to me ages ago and I’d used it for a few years until I got a better mobo/CPU and made do with that for a couple more years.
So whadda you know, the cat came back…

1 Like

So you’ve had it for a few weeks now what’s your impressions?
Itching for a CPU even faster yet? LOL

1 Like

I’ve had the unit for 6 weeks now and I love it. It’s the fastest laptop I’ve ever used. I’m really happy with it. The Ryzen 7 is a solid processor. I’ve always run Intel units. I don’t have a need to get anything faster. Yet. Haha.

1 Like