I have cell phone & internet questions

Hi there!

My wife and I will be moving to Prince Rupert this spring. We are planning to buy ourselves a LG Smart TV for our joint Christmas present. The advertisements say that these TV’s can access the internet.

We are not therefore planning on buying either cable TV access or a satellite dish system when we get to Prince Rupert as we can just watch stuff that is on the net.

We will however need to enter into cell phone contracts when we get there. In my research, I have read that the local cellular phone company (City West) frequently has issues with its cell phone coverage. However, it is my understanding however that it is the only internet provider in Prince Rupert. Is this correct?

If City West is the only internet provider, is a person better off to purchase a internet/cell phone bundle from City West or is it better to buy the internet access from City West and go with another cellular phone provider even though it presumably will be a bit more expensive?

My username should explain my lack of knowledge and understanding. Thank you in advance for your advice.

[quote=“i-am-a-tech-idiot”]Hi there!

My wife and I will be moving to Prince Rupert this spring. We are planning to buy ourselves a LG Smart TV for our joint Christmas present. The advertisements say that these TV’s can access the internet.

We are not therefore planning on buying either cable TV access or a satellite dish system when we get to Prince Rupert as we can just watch stuff that is on the net.

We will however need to enter into cell phone contracts when we get there. In my research, I have read that the local cellular phone company (City West) frequently has issues with its cell phone coverage. However, it is my understanding however that it is the only internet provider in Prince Rupert. Is this correct?

If City West is the only internet provider, is a person better off to purchase a internet/cell phone bundle from City West or is it better to buy the internet access from City West and go with another cellular phone provider even though it presumably will be a bit more expensive?

My username should explain my lack of knowledge and understanding. Thank you in advance for your advice.[/quote]

What brings you our way? Always great to hear that people are moving this way…

In my opinion city west of course the internet service provider, but do yourself a favor and go with another provider for the cell phone. Rogers can offer local numbers (600 prefix) not sure but I think Telus only has Port Edward numbers, however that is not long distance. Always been happy with Rogers … and citywest internet has improved a great deal…

Or you can go to the source and get a Bell number. Their numbers are now local. We recently got a 778-645 number that is local. No problems so far. MUCH better getting away from City West…As well I heard of someone that went into City West to see if they could open a cell account and were told they are not taking new cell customers. Anyone else have that experience?

Rogers would be my first choice.

Have never had a problem with Telus.

Thanks very much for the advice!

I decided to go with Virgin. They had the best deal on cell phone plans (pay for one Gig and get two) and they run on the Telus system.

I have done alot of reading and now I am wondering if anyone in Prince Rupert has bought a VOIP phone system for a landline?

have a great holiday

i.am.a.tech.idiot

Virgin is actually owned by Bell, not Telus. But it’s the same network.