I am looking for work and willing to relocate A.S.A.P

Hey, a job, is a job, low payin, or not, I make less than 1750 after taxes a month, and I also have a family, however I know what work means, If a person truelly has the heart,(in which most don’t), however to look for work, they will find work, we all had to start somewhere, and yes, even I had to work at a gas station myself, a few years back.

Everyone has to start somewhere.  Kids and adults are now getting the idea in their heads that they are instantly worth $15 or more with no experience… and that attitude is going to get them nowhere.

Amen to you smartass, so so so true

Amen to this post and your previous one also…I work with many of these “don’t need to work, welfare will pay for me for the rest of my life” types and sadly, obviously they do…There are jobs out there and if the welfare system and its workers would get off their asses and start enforcing some of these rules they have, job search back up calls for one and throw thier asses off for lying to and abusing everyone, maybe there would be a little, just a little, mind you , change. I am sick to death of all these so called programs that require people to check in with some board once weekly and bang! a cheque at the end of the month. Put them to work in town, cleaning up the streets, the waterfront , something. They do this back home where I am from, they must work 8 hours monthly to qualify for further assistance and it works. It gives people a sense of value and dignity and polishes up their working skills. Thumbing through the phone book and jotting down the same places as they did the week before and no one notices?..Give their heads a shake :angry: Oh wait, probably putting them to work against their will is a violation of their human rights…I give up… :unamused:

Maniac, pls accept my appologies, if I in any way have deterred you from possibly considering making a move this way, first, and foremost, there is work here in Prince Rupert, if you are a job seeker, then you will find one, the jobs are here, Most anyone who personally claims that there is no work here, usually are the ones that drop a resume off once, if you are persistant, then gettin a job should be easier

Yes and the other thing that drives me crazy about certain individuals is their skipping from one job to another because the work is “too hard” or “I don’t like my hours”…we had quite a few people show up with numerous jobs listed on their resumes at the hotel I worked at and the manager usually just turfed those into the recycle bin right away since it was clear those applicants just were not going to cut it. (my sister is a prime example of this-she could potentially list twenty jobs on a resume or leave only the better jobs on and then have to explain all the damn gaps) When we were truly desperate for staff over the busy winter season we did hire a few such people and it was like we’d installed a freaking revolving door in the kitchen-my sympathies for the head waitress grew substantially since she was training new servers constantly or so it seemed for a couple of months there.

I’m getting back into work after taking a couple of months off after our move to the Island. Not a ton of jobs in this market outside of Timmy’s and the like but I walked into the local newspaper on Monday and got a job there immediately because I was dressed appropriately (tailored shirt and black pants), had a short but well written resume that showed I worked well with others and can stick with a job plus I shook hands and made good eye contact with everyone I spoke to. Much the same story with the hotel job since I ended up not even interviewing for the post but the manager appreciated that I walked in looking professional and while I only had one job listed on my resume, I had been there twenty years…

My son is finding it harder, has filled out a few applications at most of the local fast food places but he’s also proving very stubborn about how he dresses and acts when he is going into these places to look for a job. He’s going to have to try a little harder at presenting himself and when he does get a job, he’s going to have to work hard at it and stick it out even if it’s just selling burgers. We all have to start somewhere and my husband is a great example of this-from a gas jockey in college to a municipal director may seem like a big leap but it can be done if you learn how to sell yourself effectively and work very hard when the job calls for it but also knowing when it’s time to most beneficial to move on and up.

That doesn’t sound like a big leap at all. He was going to college, obviously getting an education that would lead to his current job. Unless they have a good connection, pretty much everyone who works while going to school has a low level job.

It is a leap when you know that after he graduated from college, it was over a decade before he got a job that was directly related to his chosen career…in the meantime he slogged it out in two jobs that helped prove he was willing to work and was not afraid to get his hands dirty. Of course he was in Rupert at the time so job choices were very limited in his field anyhow but what can I say? He grew up there and loved the place for a long, long time.

Still, unless you had a family member that could get you a good job, pretty much everyone had a low level job before landing a good job. I’m not saying your husband didn’t work hard (I’m sure he did); it’s just a pretty standard progression. Ask anyone who has a good job now and most of them will say they were a “gas jockey” or delivered pizza or (gasp) worked in retail at some point.
People tend to exaggerate the number of lazy bums out there that won’t work if they get the chance, when the fact is, considering Canada’s unemployment rate is 6% and at least SOME of them are trying to find work, those bums are in a small minority.

What I’ve seen over the past while (and my sis is a prime example of this), is that some people feel entitled not to have to work hard or learn to deal with crap bosses or work odd shifts. Instead of approaching work as the chance to not only earn cash but maybe make themselves more knowledgeable about the job/career/etc, they just make up excuses to leave when they feel that things are getting too hard for them. I’m not talking about an abusive employer or working for slave wages; I’m talking about finding the saddest ass excuses to walk away just because they can’t be arsed to stick it out. This is why I have a lot of respect for people who do take those low paying grunt jobs and work their way up the “food chain” over a period of years…not only is there nothing wrong with hard work but some individuals can find even what others would call a menial job satisfying in the long run because they can do it well.  My 44 yr old sis on the other hand bounces from place to place,using the flimsiest of excuses for having to move on and I’ve met a few fellow “players” who continue to rail against the employers yet have not the brains to figure out that this is the reason why they are living at home and driving a 25 year old Civic held together by bailing wire. Not even sure she’s qualify as being “unemployed” when she is between jobs anymore because I’m not sure the last time she held down a job long enough to be eligible for U.I.

Oh well, she can always mooch off of my long suffering mother I suppose. How many others like her are there out there??

44 and mooching off her mother?? God, I hate that. I have a brother that was doing the same - except he’s a few years older than that. My mom finally got the strength to move away from him and into a place that he can’t weasel his way into.
Thankfully, more people are like your husband and tough it out with low-paying work until they get a job they’re happy with.
And I like what you said about some people being happy in supposed menial jobs. It’s true. Not everyone can be a doctor or lawyer or longshore worker. I know a lot of people in the retail and service industry who are happy with their jobs and it shows because they’re darned good at it, making me want to eat/drink/shop at those places.

Hey there, i live in Squamish BC. I became very happy to see your article. I am interested in that one job you posted outta the local newspaper; digital printer needed… I cant find a prince rupert job classified posting anywhere, and I was starting to get very very angry. I want to move outta squamish. The cost of living here is ridiculous! your gonna laugh when i tell you, you cannot RENT A PLACE AND HAVE A DOG anywhere, there is not one place in this town that allows you to have dogs (not even bsmt suites)! and we are the recreational capital of CANADA! give me a break, lots  of ppl that enjoy recreation enjoy it with their dogs right! the only way you could have a dog is if you bought a two bedroom one level home for $480,000 dollars :astonished:!!! REAL ESTATE IS RIDICULOUS HERE!

I am third generation of my family to have been here. I feel really sold out because i have to leave to start a life away from the town i love all because we are right DAB SMACK in the middle of Vancouver and whistler, the host cities of the 2010 Olympics! WHO CARES! so they jacked up the prices of real estate! besides my town is now nothing but a tourist trap. I don’t know anyone here anymore, all locals are leaving, all of our recreation is becoming developed upon . . . as far as i am concerned squamish won’t be the RECREATION CAPITAL ANYMORE!

so i was wondering if you knew of a site i could find jobs in prince rupert. it looks beautiful there, and i am willing to get outta this town as soon as i can. I was hoping someone could help me out, and mabey guide me in the right direction.

thanks so much
i really appreciate the time you took to read this,
Shaneen A. Mameli