Highway 16 driving

After I’ve ran into this issue a few times over my drives between Terrace and Prince Rupert, I would just like to let people know a little known fact about highway driving. It seems little known since I see a lot of people do it. And don’t be shy and share with your friends…

When a car is overtaking you, yes you; the car going at 80 in a curve and 100 in the straight lines and 110 when being overtaken (or any other drivers); it is distastefully, dangerously and completely illegal to ACCELERATE while being overtaken. I’ve even had instances where I was passing a “slow” (80km/h) car at the very start of broken lines, that car would accelerate to the point where I had to floor it completely and merge ASAP way past the solid line so I wouldn’t get close to crash into incoming traffic. That one time a G4S truck held me in the incoming lane and wouldn’t let me pass safely until I had to go to what I would call an unsafe speed… Next time I’m taking plates # and calling the cops. I’ve pretty much had it.

"Duty when overtaking
157 (1) Except as provided in section 158, the driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle

(a) must cause the vehicle to pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance, and
(b) must not cause or permit the vehicle to return to the right side of the highway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.
(2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, a driver of an overtaken vehicle,
(a) on hearing an audible signal given by the driver of the overtaking vehicle, must cause the vehicle to give way to the right in favour of the overtaking vehicle, and
(b) must not increase the speed of the vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle."

Just to add to your post, also never hit the brakes when a vehicle is about to pass you. Slowing while someone is accelerating behind you is asking for trouble. I see this so often and it drives me crazy. Maintain your speed. The car passing you has judged his acceleration and speed required to pass based on the speed you’re going and isn’t expecting you to slow down or speed up.

Or worst, slows down and pulls over to the right. Like you said the best thing to do is maintaining your speed. Worst case scenario, slow down if the car is already passed you and something comes up in front…

The worst part about slowing down is you are taking away the passkng drivers option of hitting the breaks and pulling in behind you.

I followed some asshat home for speeding up and braking holding me in the oncoming lane for havjng the nerve to pass him when he was doing 70. I almost got in a head on because of him. If you do that kind of thing fuck you. Seriously i hope you crash a.d your car catches on fire with you stuck inside alive.

blackboxmycar.com/

Those seem pricy. I saw one on amazon for around 80.00. Ill find the link when im home

I have one of these on my wife’s car: thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-dash-cam/

The quality is pretty good. It was $60 or so.

I have one with a GPS and G-force sensor on my car. It was about $90. Has a camera pointing inside as well. These are great for wildlife, idiot drivers, etc. And they are always recording, so you never miss anything.

I recorded this video with another $60 dx.com camera a few years ago. The quality has really improved on these cameras!

I’m going to go out to the car and pull out the SD card to see if there’s anything interesting from my drive today :smile:

Edit: Nope, nothing interesting. Other than this motion-activated activity:

I was thinking of getting one of those cheap Chinese cams, but I find most of them bulky and kind of questioned their reliability. That’s why I bought the BlackVue cam because they hide nicely in front of the rear-view mirror, plus the hard-wiring kit is pretty easy to install.

I’ll probably buy the $60-80 cam if I ever bought myself a winter beater.

How does the hard-wiring kit work?

I have a spare camera, and want to put it on the back of my car.

I used the “Power Magic Pro” for BlackVue cams. Pretty much you connect the cam to the timer/voltage regulator via the car charger adapter, then you connect the timer to the fuse box. Pretty sure this kit would work with other cams, since you only need to connect it with the car charger adapter.

EDIT: Generic hardwiring kit /w video, same concept >>> blackboxmycar.com/collection … /power-kit

$60, not cheap, probably better off making one if you have lots of time on your hands.

Not unique to your chunk of road at all. Check it out: everone you try to overtake speeds up. Some because they assholes, most don’t even know they’re doing it.
Get up to the limit push the button and steer is too complicated for many people. Oh yeah, you gotta slow down through the little towns. That require touching the brake pedal and pressing resume when you’re through.
I have a sleeper, looks like a soccer Mom car, but pull that shit on me and off come your doors.

A double solid line means you have to slow down.
The pressure of air makes your car wider the faster it goes.
Ride your brakes down hill or you might risk going the speed limit.
Slow down if you see traffic coming towards you.
Slow down if you see someone coming up behind you.
Slow down to let them pass if there’s a blind corner or crest of a hill, otherwise speed up. slow down, swerve, whatever you have to do to prevent the fool from overtaking you. He should know better.
The sign at the end of a passing lane means jam on your brakes and swerve left so the bastards will let you in.
Sweat bullets if you think someone is tailgating, because that’s a really bad thing. They’re probably gonna ram you like they do in the movies
or worse be a biker and beat on your door with a chain making you feel totally helpless cuz your just a 150lb cowboy driving a 40,000 lb Peterbilt (that was a funny movie…)

Best advice: don’t buy a Ford in Vanderhoof. It’s obvious passing through there that gas pedals are an extremely expensive option.

[quote=“PLA”]

I was thinking of getting one of those cheap Chinese cams, but I find most of them bulky and kind of questioned their reliability. That’s why I bought the BlackVue cam because they hide nicely in front of the rear-view mirror, plus the hard-wiring kit is pretty easy to install.

I’ll probably buy the $60-80 cam if I ever bought myself a winter beater.[/quote]

I cant find the link, must be on my other computer that im too lazy to fix. I remember it had 4.5 star reviews though whatever thats worth.

To the OP;
I feel your pain.
+1
"Like"
etc…
If I didn’t like my truck so much I’m just about at the point of doing a pit maneuver on them…