Hey, someone suggest me a hosting comapny

this is where i stick my pokey stick of FUCK YOU in the eye of every internet advertiser and go 100% based on someone elses recommendation: someone suggest me a host to use for my internet hypertext website of awesome animated gifness!!!

time to renew my scenario!

thanks for suggestions, i dont mind spending money for quality website, like for one with WWW in front and DOT COM on the ass end, i hear those are big in japan right now too.

How much you want to spend?

How much traffic?

honestly havent even priced it out, i thoguht about googling it and then gagged when i realized the mess of results i’d get,
im only looking for about 500 mb storage, maybe 50 gigs in transfers (50mb x 1000downloads?), maybe some email accounts that forward.

hmm, seems 1and1 is 5 gigs of space, 250 gigs/month transfers, 500 email accounts, and a domain for 2.99 a month…

Yeah, 1and1.com is the best bang for the buck.

tried tested and true, ok thanks a bunch MiG!

WORD OF MOUTH ADVERTISING : 1
INTERNET ADVERTISING : 0

I got my domain name registered at 1&1… it was like, $3 or something.

There is also surfspeedy.com i was hosted there. There is also lfchosting.com or webhostplus.com or oneplanhost.com I can name lots.

i aint hostin my high-falutin steez with the likes of yo’ssef there jleaman… probably didnt steam clean the SSH when you moved out…

You don’t even know how to use ssh so what the fuck you talking about ?

lunarpages.com $6.95 for 5 gigs, domain, 400 Gigs bw
how the hell does anyone make a living at that?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]lunarpages.com $6.95 for 5 gigs, domain, 400 Gigs bw
how the hell does anyone make a living at that?[/quote]

It’s called buying a dell power edge server plus windows 2003.net server and hosting 200 sites on one server :smile: People get billed if they go over band with too. :smile: ask joel he and i do the same job’s hosting tech’s except i do more than hosting.

[quote=“jleaman”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]lunarpages.com $6.95 for 5 gigs, domain, 400 Gigs bw
how the hell does anyone make a living at that?[/quote]

It’s called buying a dell power edge server plus windows 2003.net server and hosting 200 sites on one server :smile: People get billed if they go over band with too. :smile: ask joel he and i do the same job’s hosting tech’s except i do more than hosting.[/quote]

Actually the more common theme is renting a Virtuozzo environment and running 300 sites off a 1.5mbit connection then complaining that its slow. :unamused:

Oh, I do more than hosting :wink: actually slowly moving into a more systems admin role.

I prefer small hosts where I can get technical support ASAP, so I use www.eleven2.com. 2gb space, 75gb transfer, unlimited mySQL databases, $8.88 domain registry (thought I used an independent service).

$6.95 per month I think.

ok, so here’s a hypothetical, what happens if i have a domain, but forget where i registered it, and my hosting goes kaput, how do i repoint the domain to something else?

or, how do i even know if i still own the domain? durrr, did a whois and it doesnt mention me.

[quote=“Alpine Scrub”]ok, so here’s a hypothetical, what happens if i have a domain, but forget where i registered it, and my hosting goes kaput, how do i repoint the domain to something else?

or, how do i even know if i still own the domain? durrr, did a whois and it doesnt mention me.[/quote]

What’s the domain? Is it on a “parking” page right now?

I like my own little hosting service. $199 a year, if you go over 2 MB diskspace we all rag you for writing shitty html. If you go over 1 gig I’ll slide you over to lunarpages and they can eat the bandwidth while I still make money. If your farmer buddy told you Publisher makes good web pages and gif’s make better pictures and you want me to help you on your donated website, I’ll point my finger and openly mock you like John Cleese behind the front desk of Fawlty Towers. If you even know what MySQL is you’re eligible to be a partner, long as you can bring in more people who’ll put up with the first set of conditions.

[quote=“MiG”]

[quote=“Alpine Scrub”]ok, so here’s a hypothetical, what happens if i have a domain, but forget where i registered it, and my hosting goes kaput, how do i repoint the domain to something else?

or, how do i even know if i still own the domain? durrr, did a whois and it doesnt mention me.[/quote]

What’s the domain? Is it on a “parking” page right now?[/quote]

robotsweat.com, no it still points to dead space at my old 1and1 hosting

Looks like it’s registered and hosted at 1and1.com. You probably just added it to that package I gave you a few years ago.

Your name is still on the whois record, and so is 1and1 as the registrar.

I guess I will just wait until 1and1 gets back to me then, because none of my passwords work, they dont recognize my old username to find a lost password, and my ftp access doesnt work. Ah well I’m not in a real rush to make it happen, I just have this feeling that some old hotmail account of mine is getting mail regarding this :wink:

thanks,

Nathan Stroeder provides that kind of service now.

http://www.diamond-host.com