Help!

Okay, I’ve got a problem on my computer, and being I know pretty much nothing about computers I’m putting it out there to all of you.
For about two months or so, my computer has been acting up - as in, randomly this darker blue screen will appear and it says something along the lines of “a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer” (I took a pic of the screen with my camera last time it came up, I just have to figure out how to post it on here :confused: ) Other times it’ll just skip the screen and restart. Anyways, I have no idea what to do. I thought it could be a conflicting program on my comp, so i deleted iTunes which was the last thing that I installed- but eventually i will need that on my computer, so that doesnt help me much. Does anyone have any ideas of what could be the problem, or have they experienced this themselves and know what i should do? I’d appreciate any help i could get as this problem is really very annoying and definately not good for my computer. Thanks!

Could be many different things, however, I’d start by checking the RAM.

I dont think its your hardware. I think a file got deleted. Ive had every error in the book, and 99% of the time it was windows missin a file, or a stupid virus. Use a system restore on a date before you had this problem, or install windows again and do a repair. Or just reinstall windows all togther.

I agree. Download a program called ‘Memtest86’, burn it to CD or floppy and boot the machine. The program will scan all sectors of your RAM and run various mathamatical tests to ensure it works correctly. I havn’t ever gotten a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) caused by missing files or drivers. In my experience, if Windows needs to access some files that are corrupt or missing, it usually just tells you it can’t do that, OR it would crash when you try to access that file(s). Usually, if important system files are damaged or missing, you won’t even get the thing to start up.

That being said… run the Memtest86 util… Are any fans acting up or not spinning? My most common cause of BSODs are overheating components…

Infact, Windows 2000/XP has NEVER given me a BSOD that wasn’t directly r3lated to insufficient voltage, bad RAM or high temperatures…

Good Luck!

Check for swollen caps… also.

turn off system restore and forget it ever existed.

Actually system restore has worked for me… once…