Hawkair shutting down

2 posts were split to a new topic: But I thought Rupert was booming

I have a real hard time believing that it suddenly gets quiet right before Christmas …with people either flying out before Christmas or comming to visit …I could see January to the end of march …but before Christmas ?? This sounds like another company spoon feeding us BS.

they were losing money in Rupert, don’t forget the company that bought Hawkair was involved in the oilsands air freight business, so that has dropped alot, westjet is kicking it’s ass in Terrace, so only option is to cut costs, will they be back in summer doubt it

basically the prices out of Terrace, I would say is the biggest factor… I do agree though that Jan-Mar was likely slower than December … company was pretty slow here for a while if it were doing that well, i cant see them leaving. many people that took Hawk Air in Rupert at one time walked right by them in Terrace to West Jet… I also cant see them coming back next summer If the resuse of aircraft PG-Kelowna is that good in the winter it will be even better in the summer…

1 Like

I can understand why they had to shut down, but they literally pissed on everyone in Smithers. HawkAir pilots (CMA pilots) were the only ones that knew how to fly out of Smithers in low-ceiling conditions. Air Canada can’t do that at all. Knocking two outbound/inbound Dash-8’s one outbound/inbound Dash-8 is just going to make things worse for the community.

The ceiling doesn’t matter since the approach minimum is the same. The difference is the minimum visibility. Jazz has higher visibility minimums for doing the approach.