Hawk Air Emergency Landing

I just heard that yesterday afternoon the Hawk Air Flight out of here had a tough time getting off the ground, the passengers thought they were going into the water.  Once they got into the air there was smoke coming from one engine… They had to make an emergency landing in Terrace…
People got on another plane in Terrace and continued to Vancouver…

Scarwy!

How long does it take to fly to Terrace anyway??

Jeez, I haven’t been on a plane for 10 years, but I think to Terrace it would be like half an hour max.

the actual “flying” part is probably less than 10 minutes, I’d think.  The rest of that time would be taking off and landing.

I was on that plane, and it wasn’t as bad as you’ve heard.  Yes, one engine had to be shut down about 10 minutes after takeoff from Rupert, but it honestly was no big deal.  The staff of Hawkair worked their butts off to stay calm and collected, and tried to keep passengers as calm as possible as well.

There was no smoke, and no fire.  The engine was shut off to avoid the possibility of that happening.  Those planes are capable of flying a lot longer than what we had to on one engine, and a mishap like that happens a lot more often than what you ever hear about.

Gee I am happy to hear that it was not as bad as what I heard.
Someone said take off was difficult, was that true?

I have always enjoyed Hawk Air and the staff are wonderful, I am so glad that you
feel that that it was not a big deal. 

I started to think my source exaggerated as it was not on the news, thank you and safe travels… 

Yes, it was very overexaggerated… honestly it was no big deal.  Most people on the plane were very calm and collected… they thought of it more as an inconvienience than a horror story.

The takeoff was normal from what I could tell… the only thing that was noticeable before we got to Terrace was the feeling like someone was barely putting their foot on the gas pedal of a car again and again, and inching ever so slightly forward.  The sound of the engine was a little choppy, but I’ve heard far worse sounds on a plane.

[quote=“smartass”]
Yes, it was very overexaggerated… honestly it was no big deal.  Most people on the plane were very calm and collected… they thought of it more as an inconvienience than a horror story.[/quote]

Well keep in mind it only takes one person on the flight with a fear of flying and these kinds of stories are bound to pop up. Not everyone is comfortable on a plane, despite how calm they look on the outside.

People also exaggerate things after the fact to make it seem like they’ve been through a HUGE ordeal… when really it was nothing.

There was at least one person I noticed that was having problems with the flight from before we had taken off.  They were very noticibly uncomfortable from the time the plane started it’s engines, and I thought for sure they were going to get out and kiss the ground when we landed in Terrace.