Hands-on Education

just a couple ideas

How about classes for children, that actually teach them to work, at jobs they would enter, once they left school?

You know carpentry, plumbing, electronics, clerical, painting…

We need to put them in positions of responsibity, so that they become more responsible for their actions. Something like, build gardens and walkways around the schools, get the children involved in actually building a desk, then a classroom, a school, and after that a society…

Have a partnership with companies, and the district, agreements and such.
I figure its money well spent, in that you ensure a healthy, happy, tax paying, citizen.

Should we worry about what the rest of BC/Canada is doing, or just do this thing here, in Prince Rupert, and let them copy us, or is it going to be more of the usual, underpaid, overworked, and under-appreciated workers paradise that keeps me walking 2nd and 3rd…only you can answer this, so please on with the fireworks!

How about Drivers Ed? An actual hands-on and classroom setting where youth could learn how to drive the RIGHT way. Other provinces do it, but as far as I know it either doesn’t happen at all in BC, or there’s very few schools that do it.

How come?

Hands inside the swimsuit or outside?

[quote=“daemon”]just a couple ideas

How about classes for children, that actually teach them to work, at jobs they would enter, once they left school?

You know carpentry, plumbing, electronics, clerical, painting…

We need to put them in positions of responsibity, so that they become more responsible for their actions. Something like, build gardens and walkways around the schools, get the children involved in actually building a desk, then a classroom, a school, and after that a society…[/quote]

I grew up in Croatia, Europe. There, when you enter high school at 14…you already have to know what you want to do career wise. High schools there are organized by trades. I believe my dad went to the high school for what would translate to “Tourism and Hotel Managment”. I believe that is because they teach you everything through grades 1-8, that you would learn here in 1-12. Before my family and I moved here, I finished gr. 6. When I came here, I was really advanced in my studies, I was put in gr. 8 right away. In gr. 6, I already had classes like: geography, history, physics, biology, chemistry etc. It was hardcore, but I really felt like I was learning something. I started gr. 8 here, and I knew most of the science and math curriculum they teach here gr. 8-10. My dad was appalled, and even called me stupid once I was getting into my senior years, because I didn’t know certain things about this and that. I totally agree with him. I kind of feel robbed of the education I could have had compared to what I’ve learned through the Canadian education system. Then again, everything has its advantages and disadvantages. If we had stayed in Croatia, I probably wouldn’t have a very bright future since the country is corrupted beyond belief, and living expenses are atrocious, where as here, I think I have a better chance for a more stable future since there is much more opportunity…well, for pretty much everything. I’ve rambled on a little bit…but it would be great to have some establishments like I know of back home, where you learn about what you want to go into, then you go on the field, sort of like career prep here, but it’s for two years out of the four that you attend the school. My dad is a pretty intelligent guy, so I believe it would work. :smile:

Dr Seuss Re-Released
edited by Larry Flint

The Cat That Shat in the Hat
Bartholomew and the Hose Beast
The Ginch I got for Christmas
The Fox in Nylon Sox with Garters
Horton Hires a Ho’
One fish, Tuna fish, Red fish, Blow fish

It does my heart glad to see there are individuals in residence who pocsess a valuable instrument , that one of awareness, skill to question complassency, the will to seek not more but better.

Does anyone remember a thread about Computers going to the dump?
Please, make effort with personal responce amida@citytel
I wish to come away with full comprehension and to lend it out too, that there is much nobleness in thithing especially if an item has earned its way already and is deem obsolete.
If you make the effort, I have an important post in another thread, the creation of 2 societies, one of them is learning (Computer) orientated and an enterprenerual club associated, income earning wedsite, wholistict healing, phillosophy of life (Buddha)are the main concepts. I wish it to grow to resemble myosiline of mushrooms, or like new neuro-pathways establish after a trama to the brain through learning.

I intend it to be fun, nothing but fun, replete with such. When learning is fun, it becomes osmotic.

As an example, to have a spell checker some how incorperated lends to greater efficiency when one is of limmited modility. Ease of use generates a good feeling, a thank you! If you can preceive this as a challenge, immediately there is greater predication of becoming so.
Go ahead, I dare you. Make some estatic.
Ease of use, in turn will have generated an increased sense of pride and accomplishment in the doer. Something to display, a trophy. And all who visit will have respect for that who does do do it, that whatever is to do, was done. And all are better for it.
Ever lend encouragement, never biminish that desire.

Spell-checked or not… some things still don’t make sense. :unamused:

It may be, then, that this selectionally introduced contextual feature is rather different from a descriptive fact. We have already seen that the earlier discussion of deviance is not subject to nondistinctness in the sense of distinctive feature theory. This suggests that any associated supporting element does not affect the structure of the system of base rules exclusive of the lexicon. Notice, incidentally, that the appearance of parasitic gaps in domains relatively inaccessible to ordinary extraction cannot be arbitrary in irrelevant intervening contexts in selectional rules. A consequence of the approach just outlined is that the notion of level of grammaticalness can be defined in such a way as to impose problems of phonemic and morphological analysis.

MiG you hit the nail right on the head… :unamused: or the nail hit the head, from what I make out from your quote ohh the paradoxes of relativity.

So far, the fundamental error of regarding functional notions as categorial suffices to account for the system of base rules exclusive of the lexicon. With this clarification, the speaker-hearer’s linguistic intuition is not subject to problems of phonemic and morphological analysis. Notice, incidentally, that any associated supporting element is to be regarded as the ultimate standard that determines the accuracy of any proposed grammar.

Also, any transformation which is sufficiently diversified in application to be of any interest, the earlier discussion of deviance is necessary to impose an interpretation on a descriptive fact. A consequence of the approach just outlined is that the appearance of parasitic gaps in domains relatively inaccessible to ordinary extraction is, apparently, determined by nondistinctness in the sense of distinctive feature theory.

http://tinyurl.com/a7jxm

Nope, more like:

rubberducky.org/cgi-bin/chomsky.pl

Noam Chomsky is one of my heroes!

Hah, upon seeing this thread, my first instinct was to link the Chomskybot, but I see that MiG beat me to it.

By combining adjunctions and certain deformations, the appearance of parasitic gaps in domains relatively inaccessible to ordinary extraction is, apparently, determined by a descriptive fact. Nevertheless, the systematic use of complex symbols appears to correlate rather closely with an abstract underlying order. We will bring evidence in favor of the following thesis: the notion of level of grammaticalness does not readily tolerate the ultimate standard that determines the accuracy of any proposed grammar. Notice, incidentally, that a case of semigrammaticalness of a different sort suffices to account for a corpus of utterance tokens upon which conformity has been defined by the paired utterance test. Of course, any associated supporting element does not affect the structure of the strong generative capacity of the theory.

The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there’s free thinking going on, while all the time the presuppositions of the system are being reinforced by the limits put on the range of the debate."

Noam Chomsky

I wish we still had the old “nick” robot from the old Hotline server days. He’d have a field day in this thread.

what does a “nick” bot from hotline have to do anything with a debate on the policies that govern the education of children, so far I count 2 out of 13 replies that arent childish attempts to compensate for a lack of intelligence.

And let me guess… those 2 belong to you.

[quote=“MiG”]Nope, more like:

rubberducky.org/cgi-bin/chomsky.pl[/quote]

Interesting thing but I was merely asking if Chomsky could be wrong! :wink: