Group launches bid to buy Shames Mountain

A group which wants to buy Shames Mountain Ski Corporation and run the facility as a non-profit community co-operative has begun to sell memberships.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 97014.html

Just an update on this - you can buy your Shames memberships NOW: visit friendsofshames.ca to find out about membership benefits and learn more about the My Mountain Co-op! Shames is a valuable community resource and it would be (pardon the heinous pun) a real shame if it closed down or was bought by some other ski hill just to be stripped of its equipment! Our deadline is April 30th! Your mountain needs you!

Have you bought your membership yet? The My Mountain Co-op aims to purchase the Shames Mountain ski area and keep this regional asset alive. Individual memberships are $299, business memberships are $599, and there are also corporate packages available. Membership benefits include discounts on passes, first right of refusal on new amenities and developments, and reciprocal deals with local businesses. Plus you get a vote in one of the coolest co-operatives around!

Shames is a beautiful mountain! I was up there the last weekend of the season and the sheer number of kids bombing around on their snowboards, the little kiddies doing the “pizza” down the hill with their proud parents behind them, and the many smiling faces really brought home the importance of the Co-op initiative. Shames can be a viable concern - the feasability study and due diligence done last year have proved that - and a non-profit co-operative business model will open the doors to many exciting possibilities.

Visit mymountaincoop.ca for more information, or to buy your membership online. You can also pick up the forms at Cowpuccino’s here in Prince Rupert, or the My Mountain Co-op office in the Kiwintsa Station in Terrace.

Come on down to the Liquor Warehouse in Prince Rupert today, Friday April 15, from 3-6 PM - the MMC is hosting a BBQ during the grand opening - hot dogs and hanburgers for sale as well as memberships! :smile:

Wondering how to become a member of the My Mountain Co-op?

friendsofshames.ca/index.php … &Itemid=95

Your lifetime share gives you ownership in a regional jewel . . . helps provide a healthy, winter activity for Rupert kids (there certainly won’t be any school groups taking students to Smithers for ski days) . . . gives you access to membership benefits like member appreciation days, a coupon book with discounts to local businesses, and first crack at new developments and amenities on the hill.

And remember (though we’re thinking positive - this is GOING to happen ) . . . if the co-op doesn’t go through, everyone who purchased a share will have their money refunded by the end of this year.

I’m buyin’ - are you?

My Mountain Co-op is holding a BBQ and membership drive outside of Safeway on Tuesday, May 3, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Stop by for a hot-dog and a coffee and support My Mountain Co-op’s bid to purchase Shames Mountain Ski Area by creating a community-owned non-profit co-operative.

Why buy Shames? This regional asset promotes economic growth, healthy lifestyle choices and recreational opportunities for residents, businesses and visitors to Northwest BC. With the greatest annual snowfall of any lift-serviced area in North America, no line-ups and a family of friendly faces, Shames has united skiers and riders from across the region since its first winter of operations in 1990-91.

Please visit mymountaincoop.ca for more information, or come on out to Safeway on Tuesday afternoon!