Grizzly Bear Killed on Work Channel Road

Fuck you for suggesting a gate… do you realize how far I’d have to carry my canoe if they did that?

(probably not very far because I’d bring out my gas grinder if someone else hadn’t already done so)

I am suggesting nothing really.

To be honest, many of my postings are hybrids of retorical questions, food for thought and my perspective on matters. As well as my observations, sometimes opinions, that I provide as is, in order to invoke thought on the subject or related subjects.

I inferred that you would read my post and provide your thoughts on the subject as you did.

If you are asking what I think a good course of action would be, then your inference as to avoid rural areas would be somewhat accurate. We have plundered many animals natural habitat and now we kill them for encroaching on our new found areas. It’s not fair and I personally avoid areas not entirely for my own safety, but because I would hate to see an animal put down because I wanted to go backpacking (which I do).

I ain’t a tree hugger or animal rights activist, I just believe in co-habitation instead of food-chain-dictated logic.

Sorry, but there’sA bit of mis-information here. First of all the relocation of any wildlife, especially a bear actually takes quite a few resources and time.
Second, the area in question here actually is a forest service recreation area and used to have designated camp sites,with fire pits, picnic tables and outhouses.
This road was at no time planned to link with the green river road, and this can be checked through the Provincial Environment ministry of forest land use plan map for the area, with the logging blocks and roads laid out.
The provincial ministry is not expanding or creating new campgrounds, and in fact is downsizing the ones that don’t make enough money to be sustainable. Remember Exchamsiks River campground?
Also the work channel area is NOT a sanctuary and is a legal area for hunting both bear and moose as defined in the provincial regulations for the area.

ahh your a  funny guy …  i agree man, i love going to theese kind of places alot ,  and also agree that there isnt alot of places to go around here need more forest service roads but i would definatly like to see the last of the grizzlys relocated rather than shot .

actualy im prety sure the exchamsiks campground was closed due to the rotten trees they’d have to cut down to be safe, which is prety much every tree in the campsite  and for moose hunting, the work chanel road is also part of the nass valley moose hunting closure feel free to hunt there and see what conservation does  i do hunt and the only real place to hunt moose in open season is salvis everywhere else is limited entry

Have we forgotten that our natural habitat is the same as the areas that you and others feel we should avoid? We were not naturally part of a conctrete jungle but rather, that is the world we created for ourselves. For thousands of years man has hunted, gathered, fished, trapped, etc in these areas in order to survive and many still practice this natural way of living. Most of us however are very disconnected from the natural way of being and choose to purchase our food and live a completely different lifestyle than was practiced for years. Abolishing us from areas in which we may encounter other forms of life, such as bear, would destroy a natural way of life  and we would effectively lose many of the skills needed for basic survival. I’m not saying that anyone should kill a bear or any other animal for no reason but occassionally, it may be necessary for self preservation.

As I have said, feed a bear and kill a bear. If people leave food, fish guts, and other refuse for a bear to get into the result will likely be a dead bear. Once a bear used people it becomes a danger. National Parks has had some success by temporarily closing an area to the public but this only works if the bear has not yet become to accustomed to human food.  A temporary closure of the last km of the Work Channel road may help improve the situation. Bottom line is that if the situation does not improve we may indeed see the road closed.

There is one simple way to both enjoy the wilderness and not cause the death of any wildlife and that is to clean up after yourself. In both bear deaths the problem started with the first person who left a mess behind that attracted the bear. 

Shoot the idiots who leave their fish, fish guts and food around - not the bears. How can people be so stupid?
Kate

I so agree with Myframe - clean up after yourselves and if you can’t take it out with you, then burn it into non-existance, at the very least. Hopefully Conservation does close the Work Channel road - that may teach those sporties and other fishers to smarten up their practices. I have so little patience for this and it’s so unfair to these magnificent animals.

We saw a grizzly bear at Kloiya Bay last month and it was an amazing experience - perhaps 3 years old. This magnificent animal was chewing on plastic that some campers left behind during an event that I will call the “OK Corral”. These people were complete ‘animals’ (although an insult to the animals). They beat the crap out of each other, pushed over their small travel trailer after beating it inside and out with a baseball bat - and the crap went on. They had a bunch of little kids who pretended to be asleep so they would stay out of the fray. They left behind everything - busted up trailer, food, cooler, hatchet etc. and expected everyone else to clean up their mess. What a disaster. The RCMP attended and took two away but not far enough because on the last long weekend, there they were - out there again. Stealing wood from other campsites etc. Letting their agressive German Shepherd run loose - not the dog’s fault he’s aggressive - he is clearly an abused animal and behaves accordingly. I must get off this soap box because I could go on! The point being, this is the type of behaviour that attracts the bears to local areas. No garbage / food, no problem. A habituated bear is a dead bear.