Grant of $50,000 to send delegation to China

A delegation from Prince Rupert will be visiting China next month and it won’t cost the City one penny.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 73199.html

What a friggen waste of money!!!Not one of them knows the first thing about running a business,just look at the pulp mill debaucle…am where the hell do they think the money is coming from?There is only one taxpayer!

I hear ya saltybear except for Joy this council does not know there asses from a hole in the ground, much less running businesses…
So it’s not out of the city purse, we are paying for it either way… I agree what friggen waste of money… I feel positive about many things but this council is not something that I do…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]

I hear ya saltybear except for Joy this council does not know there asses from a hole in the ground, much less running businesses…
So it’s not out of the city purse, we are paying for it either way… I agree what friggen waste of money… I feel positive about many things but this council is not something that I do…[/quote]

The provincial government has made money available for a trade mission. Perhaps it may turn out to be a waste of time, perhaps the $50,000 could have been used more effectively somewhere else, but I don’t think the council can be criticized for using the money that has been given to them for this one time use.

In fact, there is money left over to send five people from the business community. I hope we have five groups - large or small - that will find the trip useful.

As well, we can criticize the council all we want for a wide variety of reasons, but to be fair I am pretty sure that two of the three people going to China do run their own businesses and the third has family members that do.

I too have a lot of respect for Joy, so when she sounds encouraging about the trip and hopes that other community members can take advantage, then I am not going to trash this opportunity out of hand.

In no way am I an apologist for this council, but I am starting to feel sorry for them. They are being held to some imaginary standard that probably doesn’t exist any more.

Well said…

I too,feel sorry for our council,because of their incompetence…what industries do they represent?? Fishing???Logging???Tourism???who are a mickey mouse bunch going to get the Chinese to invest in PR?Again look at how this bunch of misfits has handled the mill and that is :THE CHINESE:what a farce!!I don’t have a problem with people with some smarts going and trying to sell Prince Rupert,but that is NOT our mayor or even city staff!and not council!

If you think you can do the job better, than why dont you run for council come election time??

vacation time at city hall again. Only 50k? is that just for 2 days?