Graham/Atlin area residents make a bid to silence waterfront train whistles

What a joke.

This is like complaining about vehicles driving down your street, dogs barking in your neighbourhood or babies crying in public places…come on.

Suck it up. It’s called life. People quickly forget to enjoy their surroundings, rather than just to consider it a part of their every day routine.

Were the trains not there before all the nice houses? Funny how every one wants the new industry to come to town and when it does shut it down because of noise, lights to bright,ect. And what about the cars that are always cutting in front of the trains,try stopping a train on a dime a little noise is a good thing

People have a tendency to forget why a train whistle is used, when a train comes to a crossing the whistle is blow to warn people of the danger that is approaching, there are a lot of blind or semi obstructed,areas and public crossings. from fairview to the down town yard,stop the whistle and the probability of someone getting hurt increases.If the people who live on Graham/Atlin should take that into consideration before they complain about noise from trains.

I don’t think that it’s really accurate to say that anyone that lives in the Westview/Graham/Atlin area is wealthy. Yes, there are some of the nicest and most expensive houses in town there, but I think that, just like the rest of Rupert, they are the exception and not the rule.

:blush:Defers to the greater wisdom of your statement… for a moment I forgot that I was on the HTMF board in Prince Rupert… where the prevailing wisdom is do nothing, put up with anything and then bellyache like mad. To think for a moment that the residents of Prince Rupert would willingly do what most municipalities do when dealing with trains crossing their boundaries was a moment of folly. My humble apologies to all for my lapse…
:imp:

Even though I agree that the train noises come with the view in that area, residents have a right to ask if certain alternative measures can be taken to reduce the whistles.  As podunk’s article says, something similar seems to be in effect in Terrace so why not explore the same thing in Prince Rupert.
It’s obvious to me that safety of the workers and the public is the primary concern but I’m not knowledgeable enough about railroad ground procedures to tell if all the whistles are essential or not.

Although some people here see this as complaining, I think that, since Prince Rupert is still in Canada, the area’s residents can ask questions and express concerns, no matter what their presumed wealth status is.  If complaining means raising an issue with any level of government, then it’s an intricate part of democracy!

What an inconvenience for the residents of Graham/Atlin. A train whistle a few times a week, usually between the hours of 6 pm and midnight. Doesn’t the safety of our residents mean anything to them.

You’re purposely downplaying the issue, but that’s all right–if you’d read everyone, you’d know that the residents also proposed several alternatives to whistles, like automated light systems, which are in place at most railway crossings near residential areas.

You are right every one in Canada has the right to complain or should I say request change, But what I Still don’t understand if the complaint is about silenceing a whistle when they are there for the publics safety is this not a no brainer, yes there are other ways to approch this with gates ect, maybe the city should put on a discusion on driving through flashing signals, walking pets on the tracks or other hazards that engineers face every day becouse of the publics disregaurd for there safety

Even if there was automated gates and signals and such. Trains still have to blow their whistle when coming up to an intersection don’t they?

Once upon a time , in a land not far away, lived a group of people who complained. They complained of a foul, sour, chlorine smell that on occasion would permeate their community.
Friends and neighbours of the “complainers” would disagree. They said it was the smell of money, the smell of the economic engine that supported their great city.
Over time those who would complain were fewer, they learned to tolerate, even enjoy the smell, knowing the benefit it brought to all the community, and they all lived happy ever after, the end.

Nope, as I mentioned earlier, fully automated gates at level crossings mean that the engineers do not have to blow the whistles…the town I lived in had three such crossings and finally managed to get the middle crossing (just off the downtown core) automated just a year or so ago. No more whistles for the residential areas around that crossing, so no more phone conversations with my hubby drowned out by the wail when he was at the office!!  :smiley:

Gates do not mean a whistle does not have to be blown, only a anti whistle zone which is regulated by transport Canada.Heres a thought Police,Firetrucks,Ambulances there sirens, are they next, next weeks topic red lights and the delay they inflict on us.

Emergency vehicles in Rupert don’t throw on their sirens dozens of times during the week, the trains do. They didn’t used to, and because of that the issue wasn’t that big a deal… now the whistles go very often, 24/7 and the residents are apparently becoming annoyed.

But I won’t bother arguing. This is turning into another, typical HTMF thread in which anyone perceived to be a right wing, ‘rich’ person is thrown under a bus. Were this a group of ‘poor’ people petitioning around a like issue, they’d get way more support than those pompous rich people.

Sure sounds like you are bothering…

I live on 5th East.  I hear sirens go right by my house 6 or 7 times a day. 

Well, that’s your opinion, I guess.

Oh wait, so now you’re accusing HTMF of doing exactly what you’re doing? 

How about you answer the points presented instead?  Rise above the HTMF crap you accuse us of, instead of contributing to it.  Your comment about rich and poor is no different than the comments you’re complaining about.

I thought it only fair to add the folks who are complaining are not just making it up, I live on 7th east, not too far from the tennis court across from the cop shop and I can hear the train whistle loud and clear from my backyard, I noticed it a few weeks ago actually before this thread. I am not complaining, it doesnt bother me at all but if I can hear it all the way over here it must be quite loud on graham or atlin,  its most likely a legitimate bitch.

i love the train whistle, as much as i loved the planes at sealcove in the morning… u do get use to it…and if u don’t u can get ear plugs…

funny how people think, no whistles for three years,thats what happens when there is no work, now there’s work,trains are back, think back people Prince Rupert is here because of the railway, progress sometimes has draw backs but thats life.Yes train whistles are noisey but they are there for safety and until there is an order for anti whistle zone they will remain.

I don’t see what the big deal is. These residents have a right to complain. It’s not going to harm anyone if they do manage to get the whistles to stop and if they get the CN to install a gate there the city is safer for it. So why exactly are people complaining about their complaint?

Because that is all anyone ever does is complain. Complain about complaints, complain about “unjust” things going on in the city.
Lets all be happy with what we have can’t we? Isn’t it better to live life enjoying the things around you, than to pick at the negative things going on? Negativity always breeds more of the same.
A great example of that is this post. :smiley: