Gorgeous Wolf

There is only room for one apex predator in our society and that is us.

Bears, wolves and other savage beasts are fine in the forest.  When they come in to town they should be hunted down and killed.

I don’t believe in the fairy-tale view of animals as nice cute fuzzy cuddly harmless creatures.

They are wild animals, they kill to survive.  As fewer and few people carry weapons these animals are losing their fear of man.  Most wolves will run away from man, some won’t, a few will attack.

Yes I know this is not politically correct but it is the clear and obvious truth.

It’s also an inconvenient truth.

yes we are working with the help of  Chris Darimont, lead researcher for the Rainforest wolf project and Heather Bryan, who will be up in the fall, the university of saskatchewan is doing the genetic testing for parasites.

You must feel high and mighty…  humans have screwed up the environment so much it’s not funny. Yes we are the mighty hunter & gatherer, we take control of everything mucking with mother nature,  you think it’s just so easy let’s get a gun and shoot then ask questions… look at over fishing, look at over logging in south America pushing everything out of the way for farm land that cannot produce anything after 5 or 6 years. Look at all the animals that have become extinct . For what….
  Its so easy to say kill all other animals but tell me how you are going to do that safely….Come on be realistic, for sure when wild animals come in town they should be transported back, but who is going to do it. Then look at where we live. We live in the middle of the wilderness, we are surrounded by millions of square miles of trees, mountains and ocean. The animals have lived here longer then you or I….
You can post your rhetoric all you like but I’m sure that many of the fine readers will disagree with your philosophy of  nature……

Right, and you are such a “civilized being” - you don’t kill for your food - well, perhaps that’s premature of me.  You might be a hunter so you might hunt for some of your food.  Otherwise, you let others do it for you.  Just because others may “hunt” for your food by growing it on an enclosed farm and having no way for the prey to escape - that appears to be the same in your eyes.  Sad.

Why don’t wolves run away from man?  There are a myriad of reasons - and I am NOT a wildlife biologist - simply I have loved wolves and their nature from the start.  Let’s see…man encroaches on wolves when they expand for building, for the landfill - for just about every darn thing they do.  All of a sudden the wolf sees a part of their territory taken away.  By your way of thinking, the wolf should just roll over and say “yes mastah” and move along to whatever small area they have been sheltered to.  But - if this were your neighbour - who said - “Hey, I want half of your backyard cuz I just need more space” - would you react the same?  Would you “roll over and say yes mastah”.  Unless you are simply a troll fishing for worthless games, you probably wouldn’t.

As far as that post about wolf attacks - there was one with a child and a wolf enclosed in a pen (I keep thinking it was a zoo, but that might be wrong).  Oh heaven forbid.  The childs’ parents didn’t give enough of a crap to see what their child was up to and doing and crawled into a WILD ANIMAL CAGE.  Wow.  Yup.  Completely the wolf’s fault right there (sarcasm!)

I’ve never encountered an adult wolf with NOTHING between me and it - it’s always been a fence, or a vehicle - when I was 12 I did see a wolf pup on a hike and was mesmerized - but then my grade 8 biology class reverberated in my head - “A wolf pup will never be far from its mother”.    I looked around frantically and ran away fast.  Hindsight of course says - don’t run…but my case turned out lucky.

My message here - is that people are always whining about how they never know when a wolf might be there - so do some research!!  I  took a walk today with my two small dogs on the Buhtze (sp?) trail.  I read the sign before we left.  It says clearly - this is a wolf/bear area and keep all pets on leashes - or better yet, leave them at HOME. 

How much of a 2x4 over the head do you need?

It would be nice if the two of you were able to engage in a rational discussion without personal attacks.

Have a nice day.

I just want to thank you Astrothug for your posts regarding these beautiful animals…I was “lucky” enough to find myself up close and personal with a pack of wolves (5) last May around the old dump on Wantage Rd.  I have to say, due to my ignorance of how to deal with an encounter with wolves, had I not been with a friend who knew what to do, I thought I may have been in danger. I have since learned that this would not have been the case after I spoke to the Conservation Officer in Terrace and received very enlightening protocol on the do’s and don’ts of an encounter. They are gorgeous animals and though I was frightened as we were followed down the road towards the City Yard as we walked “calmly” towards civilization, I would not have missed the sighting for anything. I had not heard about the wolf sightings in the area and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, dusk in the woods, for example…I become very angry with pet owners who, although warnings are posted, still take their pets for walks and then complain and demand the wolves be destroyed as they had attacked their pet. If you love your pet, leave it at home please and take the proper precautions for yourself…Live in harmony with these and all animals…Much info was publicized in the Daily News at the time regarding the wolves…Also contact the SPCA or the Wildlife Shelter if you feel out of the loop… Thanks

I’m not attacking you and I don’t think kaleid  is attacking you personally, but your philosophy is flawed in this day and age.
 It’s this type of thinking that has gotten man in to trouble with Mother Nature, we take, we strip the recourses and we think we can control it. When you take out one species of animal, it can have a drastic impact on the rest of the eco-system. By killing the wolves the deer population would get worse, oh and by the way the wolves are eating fine, I’ve seen enough scat to know…
your response is to cull the deer population I also agree with but until you can tell me how you are going to do it safely there is no point in discussing it. You want people walking through town shooting the deer, I don’t know about you but with our kids playing in the same micro forest that dot our city I don’t think that is to wise.

The reason there is so many wolves is because there is an over abundance of deer… less deer = less wolves. Culling the deer population would be the whole coast of BC, but you can’t do it because the BC government has protected most of the coast. The great bear rain forest park.  Nature has its own way of dealing with too many animals or too many of one species.

I believe I was the one who mentioned culling the deer population, it can be done safely, but I was not thinking of the bleeding hearts who would oppose that way of action, the goverment would approve such measures if it was in the public’s best interest. Too many deer (this is second hand info) means ticks and diseased ridden deer running around which also means the wolves has an AMPLE supply of easy prey. But it would seem you are correct on a few points as the public would rather blow a wolf away rather than a (harmless deer)

usatoday.com/news/nation/200 … acks_x.htm
Or this idiot
metacafe.com/watch/159381/deer_attack/

Anywhoo, I’m done  :stuck_out_tongue:  …maybe…

Reminds me of the guy who thought he could make friends with grizzly bears.

planetark.org/avantgo/dailyn … wsid=22494

Timothy Treadwell had a mental illness, he also was protecting grizzlies in a national protected park, who was he protecting the grizzlies from. 
Timothy new he was there to long he also knew that the grizzly that killed him and his girlfriend was an old grizzly that could not catch fish anymore, he maid a choice to stay a few days longer and he paid for it with his life.
Comparing Grizzlies and Wolves is like Comparing apples and oranges.  But then again we can debate this forever, It really does not matter what you think…