Go Canucks Go

They made it to the last 8 teams alive in the playoffs. They won their division in the regular season. Sure, it’s always disappointing when your team gets eliminated, but I get a kick out of everyone that’s fleeing the sinking ship. Making the conference semi’s two years in a row is doing alright in my books. The Canucks have a decent team right now, and the thing NOT to do is burn it to the ground for a fresh start.

How did the Islanders do this year? Let me know how the Oilers do next year.

Raise your standards.
0 Stanley Cups in 40 years sucks. Sucks like LA and Buffalo. SLURPPP!!!

Were you there for the amazement of 82? Now that was a ride.
The Almost of 94? Great team, great goaltender AND goal scorers. That’s how you do it.
Not riding on a goaltender who now is known to stink under pressure.

All 3 home games STUNK. No other description applies.

So for the 41st fucking time for me ‘there’s always next year’

KO by chicago in the 2nd round 6th game just like this year and last. Might as well make it 3 years in a row.  Canucks suck and always will suck.

I think Jesus here might’ve had his heart broken when he was a young kid… thus the obvious hatred towards a team. Maybe you went for Pavel Bure’s autograph and he laughed at you and slapped you in the face? Something like that?

The Canucks had a decent season. They beat the Sharks one game, which they haven’t done since I saw them live 3 years ago? (Boy that was a disappointing loss for the Sharks)

The defense were plagued with injury, which does go a long way to hinder a team in the playoffs.

Luongo didn’t do too hot in this series, so what? The rest of the team did pretty bad too. It does happen. I do feel the hatred to the Canucks for “choking” is a little pitiful. I mean, Montreal didn’t burn Halak when he had that 7 goal night.

Chicago has a solid team with good synergy, and a goalie that is there to prove himself. They played their hearts out and won as a result.

Thankfully San Jose will be there to stop Chicago, worry not!

AHAHAHAHA Bure… AHAHAHAHAHA.

You can talk about their ‘good season’ or them being a ‘good team’ until you’re blue in the face… when it comes down to it they cant handle the pressure and they choked again as usual.

They will choke again next year too.

I grew up in Vancouver during the 50s and 60s and listened to Jim Robson’s play by play of Canuck games against Victoria, Seattle and Portland.  As a teenager I went to the Canuck games when they won the championships in 1969 and 1970. 

In 1974, I moved here and was still a Canuck fan.  My first visit to emergency occurred sometime that first winter.  The Canucks were playing Montreal on Hockey Night in Cananda.  They were winning 2 - 0 at one point but lost late in the third period.  When the third goal went in, I was so mad that I slammed my hand on the floor.  (I was sitting on the floor so I didn’t do anything wildly contortional.)  It wasn’t until the game finally ended that I realized that I had dislocated my finger.

On the way home from the hospital my wife, a lifelong Habs fan, said,  “Wouldn’t it be a lot easier to cheer for Montreal.”

I didn’t give up on them right away, but after 36 years in Rupert, I am no longer a Canuck fan.  And I refuse to jump on the bandwagon when they do well.

In fairness though, the Canucks did not choke.  They lost to a better team.

There was no choke, they got their clocks cleaned by a better team in Games 3,4 & 5.
Chicago wasn’t intimidated by the Sedin’s puck handling, they just muscled the puck away.
There was no big Willy Mitchell to clear the front of the net, but the weakened defence still managed to do all the scoring last few games.

Montreal are finished this evening, Penguins will bring the house down for the final time. Boston over Flyers.

Montreal with a Win, Philly with a Win

and you feel so good right now…

Luongo ran out of gas, he held back the wave in the first period, but that third goal heading into the second period intermission was the surrender point, while they put up a quick flurry in the third the Hawks got their balance back after a timely time out and then put the finishing kicks in.

If I’m Mr. Gillis, I’m checking around for some free agency dates to come for a pair of guys that wear number 33, maybe that young fellow #33 from Chicago and that other big fellow in Boston with the same number.

They would no doubt go a long way in perhaps helping the Canucks make it past the second round. 

Exactly!  Chicago is a young team that learned a lot in last year’s playoffs.  I am picking them to win over San Jose but it will be a close contest.

I feel as silly as a Canuck Fan who thought they were going to win, so Habs have won that round, never thought it would happen. Very hard to take they must go down next round. Pleaseeeeeeeee

The problem as I see it is Luongo. He plays well enough when he has the superior team. Against St Louis last year he played good, but Van had a better team, so the pressure was not on him. The same could be said this year against LA.
In the Olympics Canada had a better team and the pressure was not all on Lou to carry us. There is no salary cap in the Olympics, so that may be the only place where Lou’s team can have a clear advantage in talent.
When we play against teams that are equal to us, Lou cant elevate his game and carry the team. In the only 2 wins we had against Chicago we were clearly the better teams on them nights, and won easily, so there was not that much pressure on Lou.
There was no game in the 2nd round you could say, without Lou we were screwed and would have lost without him.
I would venture to say that Halak has almost single handedly won Montreal 4-5 games this play-offs, and every team left has had their goalie steal them a game.
With Lou having a large salary, the team in front of him likely will always be somewhat less talented than our opponents  because they have mire money to spend when their goalie does not make 6 mill per season.
Lou is a good goalie, but I feel he does not have the mental make-up to ever carry the Canucks to the cup.

Don’t ask the goaltender to win you a Cup.
Ask the goal scorers.

Vancouver has a history of asking the Hanlons, Macleans, Cloutiers and Luongos to cover for limping through the playoffs.

Zero goals by a forward in the last two games. Zero!
Henrik Sedin a -4

The Courtnalls, Bure, Ronning and Linden were the best we ever had.

Wow, This is the dumbest quote I have ever read. A goaltender always wins you the cup. If your goaltending isnt great you cannot win in the NHL playoffs. Name the last time a goaltender didnt win the cup for his team. Or better yet name the last time Goal Scorers won the cup for there team. Even the 80’s Oilers had Fuhr who played great so you cant really say the oilers and Even Barasso played well for the pens back when they won there cups.

So in closing your quote is ridiculous and makes no sense.

While I think luongo is just as big of a whiny self important bitch as crosby. You’re wrong.

The whole fucking team needs to play well to win the cup. Sure the goalie can keep you in it when your defense breaks down but they dont win it. How many goals have goalies scored?

So in closing you’re stupid and probably wont comprehend what I just said anyway.

No doubt a goalie is important to a Cup victory.  However, of the 44 Conn Smythe winners - given to the MVP of the playoffs - only 13 have been goalies and four of those were from the losing team.