French accents

English words don’t have accents.

Résumé or resumé are French words, though. French does have accents.

http://www.midwestmascots.com/adam/resume/scooby1.jpg

the epitome of linguistic absurdity

http://hackingthemainframe.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/normal_crazy%20french%20guy.jpg

When such words are used in English the accents are dropped.

Bullshit. Or you’re just being naïve (notice accent).

You use accents when they make a difference in pronounciation.

‘Resumé’ or (‘résumé’ for the purists) is a great example of when it’s proper to use accents. Otherwise you get ‘resume’ which has a completely different meaning.

But perhaps you’re talking about American, not English. Flip through the OED sometime and you’ll see plenty of words with accents.

yank friend did ask me to help him do up a ‘rezoom’ one day. gf razzed him once told him ‘the thing beside your plate is a serviette. I’m wearing the napkin’

Speaking of words, the National Scripps Spelling Bee was on TV today. If you missed it the final 5 words were:
5) scheherazadian
4) arete
3) schwarmerei (spelt wrong during the competition)
2) gaminerie
Winning Word 1) autochthonous

I’m always impressed with the level of skill these kids show. Amazing!

[quote=“MiG”]Bullshit. Or you’re just being naïve (notice accent).

You use accents when they make a difference in pronounciation.

‘Resumé’ or (‘résumé’ for the purists) is a great example of when it’s proper to use accents. Otherwise you get ‘resume’ which has a completely different meaning.

But perhaps you’re talking about American, not English. Flip through the OED sometime and you’ll see plenty of words with accents.[/quote]

Excuse me, that’s Bullshité.

The funny thing is that French speakers never say résumé, but refer to a Curriculum Vitae (or CV for short.) I think both are used in English but I hear résumé more often.

résumé in French = summary in English.

Does the lack of quotation marks around a foreign word in written English indicate that the word is commonly used? Or is it just the writer’s decision to use a foreigng word within the text without quotation marks?

Eglish has always stolen words from everywhere. Between that and tech speak being English it why all the furriners are worried about their languages.

Have you looked in the dictionary? How do you explain all those accents if they’re not supposed to exist?

My copy of Webster’s (not OED, sorry MIG), has these words with accents: à la carte, attaché, blasé, bric-à -brac, café, cliché but then I stopped looking. The accents are there, and Websters is an American dictionary, right?

I don’t believe in dictionaries. Our language is too fluid; it’s constantly changing.

You said “we don’t use accents in English”. Says who? You?

Where do you get that? If not from a dictionary, then where?

So where do you learn to spell? How do you know if it’s a correct spelling or not? Why do you correct other’s spelling? Why do you suggest others use a spellchecker?

He’s trolling, MIG, he knows he’s wrong, don’t feed the trolls.

Who’s to say who has the right or authority to define how the language works? If I write my own dictionary full of misspelled words, does that then make them right?

Ok, we’re not arguing about spelling, stick to the issue. Whenever somebody points out that you’re wrong about something, Hoshq, you immediately try to steer the topic somewhere else.

You said that English doesn’t use accents. I told you to look in a dictionary, and you’d find lots of accents. So you’re wrong.

No amount of trolling and trying to change the topic is going to change that.

Look at your keyboard. See any accents? 'nuff said.

while we’re on the subject wtf is an oomblat?

Apparently you do. You’re jumping on somebody for using accents, then when MIG points it out, you say that nobody should tell anybody how language works? You can’t have it both ways.