Freight car pileup near Polymar

Sometime between 6 and 8 AM this morning was a train wreck about halfway between Prince Rupert and Terrace. Didn’t get a chance to take pictures but there were cops on the highway observing from a distance I don’t think they could get to it from hwy through the slough. Cars appear to be freight. Can someone post pictures if you got them thank you.

I find it interesting that the local news has not reported it and the server won’t let me upload photos.

seems typical : guess there needs to be blood to have it run and the focus is the elections

Hey FTdog, if it won’t let you upload photos, try uploading them to imgur.com and posting the code here instead (look for the forum code after you upload a photo).

Can’t speak to the weekly paper, TV or radio but…

northcoastreview.blogspot.ca/201 … st-of.html

news1130.com/2014/11/15/cn-t … r-terrace/

theprovince.com/news/Freight … story.html

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/dff6e886f719b9b8cab5273d457e05ff.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/15/dfce347b83c40c1d789ee8a297044ffc.jpg

Here are some photos

They really want to transport oil that way ?
If those were tankers it would have been ugly !

I spoke to CBC staff three times between Saturday morning and Monday morning including a call to the newsroom in Vancouver . I told all three different staff that there was a derailment on the main line and that it affected the highway too. I don’t understand why it did not become a news story when on Sunday there was "provincial "news on the radio much of the day.

Were there witnesses? Is it cleaned up now? How close was it to the river? Besides “why did it happen?”, those are my questions.

[quote=“windchime”]I spoke to CBC staff three times between Saturday morning and Monday morning including a call to the newsroom in Vancouver . I told all three different staff that there was a derailment on the main line and that it affected the highway too. I don’t understand why it did not become a news story when on Sunday there was "provincial "news on the radio much of the day.

Were there witnesses? Is it cleaned up now? How close was it to the river? Besides “why did it happen?”, those are my questions./quote

GlobalBC mentioned it on the news and had a post on its Facebook page, as for CBC who knows why they didn’t cover it. Maybe because they were only container cars and not hazardous goods. The derailment was not near the river and I believe it has been cleaned up as well.[/quote]

It just goes to show that the CBC is not getting it. I mean we are talking about lives here. There could have been deaths. That the CBC did not report on it on Saturday is gob smacking.

Windy, who did you speak to at CBC about the derailment? I can see why deRite wouldn’t be there, she works Monday to Friday hosting the show. But sheerly Baker is on a shift that is more flexible??? And why don’t they have more than two staff members? We are getting screwed here in Rupert. I remember when Mark Forsythe was but a young buck and we had full time coverage of things happening here. Now he’s retiring and I’m left wondering “What happeend to our CBC!?”

Thanks for information regarding derailment being covered by Global, and that it has been cleaned up. Nobody hurt and highway not closed for long.

I talked to three CBC people about this and when I called the Vancouver newsroom I did not get the person’s name. Monday, I called CBC here in Rupert and was told they were working on the story. Tonight CFTK television had pictures of the scene on their news at 6 pm.

If you wonder, like me, why a 26 car derailment on this mainline, beside the only road, beside the Skeena, is not news on our public broadcaster you may want to pursue “CBC/Radio-Canada’s Annual Public Meeting” November 19th 2014.

I’m done with the public broadcaster. The CBC is dead. Last weekend clearly showed this.

If Prince Rupert is the Gateway to Asia, and if there is a special cultural identity here (which I believe) then the CBC needs to take Prince Rupert more seriously. A train derailment is not just any old accident. It is very serious. I don’t care that no hazardous material was on board, or that everyone is ok. There has been NO coverage of the accident on Daybreak North. Nothing. Yet cars were backed up for hours. That is troubling.

Windchime, I assume you are going to this CBC annual meeting? I would love to know where this is being held.

If you can go on the web, they are running right now, Thursday am. Go to CBC first. then try " contact us", or “about us” then search for annual general meeting. There was little notice for this. The notice was posted November 13th. I only saw the ad once on tv. I’d like to be at the meeting. I agree with you about derailment being important.

Just talked to CBC news radio producer in Prince George. I stand corrected. He says on Saturday, Vancouver reported on the derailment and that the Transportation Safety Board was sending investigators to the crash. He thinks it was covered at least twice. He said to expect a story on Daybreak North Thursday morning regarding the TSB.

To us in the Northwest, the significance of the incident was great enough to be covered Sunday, as well as Monday on Daybreak North, as people get back to their schedules.

Lives might have been lost. The highway was closed. Every issue regarding railroad safety is at play here, such as engineer fatigue, dangerous goods, proximity to the only highway… . More needed to be said.

[quote=“windchime”]Just talked to CBC news radio producer in Prince George. I stand corrected. He says on Saturday, Vancouver reported on the derailment and that the Transportation Safety Board was sending investigators to the crash. He thinks it was covered at least twice. He said to expect a story on Daybreak North Thursday morning regarding the TSB.

To us in the Northwest, the significance of the incident was great enough to be covered Sunday, as well as Monday on Daybreak North, as people get back to their schedules.

Lives might have been lost. The highway was closed. Every issue regarding railroad safety is at play here, such as engineer fatigue, dangerous goods, proximity to the only highway… . More needed to be said.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. But if its true that the CBC did cover it on Saturday, it is fair to back off on them. That’s when it was news. But no excuse to wait until Thursday to follow up!

[quote=“windchime”]Just talked to CBC news radio producer in Prince George. I stand corrected. He says on Saturday, Vancouver reported on the derailment and that the Transportation Safety Board was sending investigators to the crash. He thinks it was covered at least twice. He said to expect a story on Daybreak North Thursday morning regarding the TSB.

Lives might have been lost. The highway was closed. Every issue regarding railroad safety is at play here, such as engineer fatigue, dangerous goods, proximity to the only highway… . More needed to be said.[/quote]

yes the lack of coverage from cbc is the real concern here,get real

Thanks everybody for your input to this post I never thought it would go this long. I have been working to post a few photos I acquired.

twitter.com/FTDoggy/status/53594 … 04/photo/1

@FTDoggy for more photos