Fraudulent Computer Repair Phone Calls

I mentioned a while back about people here getting fraud pone calls. The caller usually announces he’s from Microsoft or one of the Antivirus companies and they’ve discovered your computer or your modem is infected.
It’s getting pretty bad in the Fort, since I had them run something in the local paper and posted it on fortstjames.com I’ve been getting one or two calls a day from people who’ve been called. God knows how many they’ve tricked.
They found at least one sucker in this exchange, so they’re stepping it up.

Microsoft and other software companies DO NOT CALL YOU AT HOME.
The called ID will display Long Distance, Blocked, or a random US phone number. They pressure you to install Remote Desktop, or go to a website and download something.
Telus can’t block them. If you even cooperate a little, they’ll call over and over again pestering you.
Hang up.Be rude. Threaten to hunt them down and KILL THEM slowly and painfully. Maybe they’ll charge you with threatening and the RCMP can finally catch the buggers.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I mentioned a while back about people here getting fraud pone calls. The caller usually announces he’s from Microsoft or one of the Antivirus companies and they’ve discovered your computer or your modem is infected.
It’s getting pretty bad in the Fort, since I had them run something in the local paper and posted it on fortstjames.com I’ve been getting one or two calls a day from people who’ve been called. God knows how many they’ve tricked.
They found at least one sucker in this exchange, so they’re stepping it up.

Microsoft and other software companies DO NOT CALL YOU AT HOME.
The called ID will display Long Distance, Blocked, or a random US phone number. They pressure you to install Remote Desktop, or go to a website and download something.
Telus can’t block them. If you even cooperate a little, they’ll call over and over again pestering you.
Hang up.Be rude. Threaten to hunt them down and KILL THEM slowly and painfully. Maybe they’ll charge you with threatening and the RCMP can finally catch the buggers.[/quote]

I still get the calls probably because the first time I listened longer than I should have before hanging up. The next few times, I just hung up. Then I was rude and the last time I was ruder yet which is out of character for me. Hopefully that will work.

Now if there were some way to be rid of the horn that announces that I have won a trip …

Just got the call a couple of days ago. Said I was so happy he called and when was he coming over to fix my problem? Never got a reply. All I heard was a “click”!! Coward!!

Just had my first call …fortunately I don’t have any character so I had no trouble telling him what he could do with himself.

I told him I don’t have a computer.

God I hate this town ! (the Fort)
Today a guy walks in all pissed asking if I remember fixing his computer. Yup a couple weeks ago.
**Well why did you install such and such.com antivirus and charge my credit card $59 ??? **
That’s how I come in.
HE answered that goddam call, sat in front of his computer, installed the software and gave them his credit card info. And promptly got infected so he brought it to me.
Completely forgot he’d done anything. At least he didn’t deny it, like most people I encounter.
WTF is wrong with people? Normally I’d think “Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity” but every third customer I get is as thick as a brick. It must be the water…

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
WTF is wrong with people? Normally I’d think “Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to stupidity” but every third customer I get is as thick as a brick. It must be the water…[/quote]

There is no cure for stupid. Job security for you. :smile:

I’d like the security without the abuse. Like fifty year olds capable of seeing their Visa was charged a week before they brought it in, by a different company. Like take just one red @#$%hair of personal responsibility and isn’t a complete asshole.

Glowering customer walks in, hands on hips balled into fists. "You know that Lenovo laptop you sold me? Well I ran it over with a steamroller and now it won’t work at all. What are YOU going to do about it? YOU sold it to me!!!"
Like it’s close to one of every three customers!
A lady brings in an all in one, I ask her to go back and get the power supply and she fucking argues for 20 minutes that it doesn’t have one, it doesn’t plug into the wall at all, it never came with one. How does it bloody run? By the Power of The Ancient Fucking Pharaohs?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]I’d like the security without the abuse. Like fifty year olds capable of seeing their Visa was charged a week before they brought it in, by a different company. Like take just one red @#$%hair of personal responsibility and isn’t a complete asshole.

Glowering customer walks in, hands on hips balled into fists. "You know that Lenovo laptop you sold me? Well I ran it over with a steamroller and now it won’t work at all. What are YOU going to do about it? YOU sold it to me!!!"
Like it’s close to one of every three customers!
A lady brings in an all in one, I ask her to go back and get the power supply and she fucking argues for 20 minutes that it doesn’t have one, it doesn’t plug into the wall at all, it never came with one. How does it bloody run? By the Power of The Ancient Fucking Pharaohs?[/quote]

You are a patient man, herbie! No one should be required to put up with abuse like that.

Sorry for the foul language, too long in the land of loggers and truck drivers.

No worries, man! I can understand how frustrating it must be to deal with abusive customers.