Forgive me

… For my ignorance, here, but what is this contraption?

I just took this unassuming photo from Totem Park (Summit Ave, across from the hospital), looking out and to my left.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

Shiny :smiley:

I think green would have went better

Great shot!!

Thanks for looking and taking the time to comment. :smile: Do you know what that … thing is? (Because I sure don’t)

its a transformer… made to protect us from terrorists… hehe

It’s doc Loveless and his 80 foot spider!!! quick call Jim West!!! …627-SIGN??

jim wests number isnt 627-SIGN

thats the other sign dude isnt it?

That is a picture of money.  Sweet, sweet money.

all types of people going to make money from your port? hookers, drug dealers, pimps, I can see it all… good luck peoples…

Are you serious?

You have heard about the container port being built in Prince Rupert right?

Look back at a few threads concerning this.  I’m sure it will jog your memory.

[quote]
Are you serious?

You have heard about the container port being built in Prince Rupert right?

Look back at a few threads concerning this.  I’m sure it will jog your memory.[/quote]

That’s like PersonA asking what a specific part of an engine they’re looking at is and PersonB saying, disgusted, “It’s an engine, moron.”

Nowhere in there does PersonB tell PersonA precisely what part of the engine PersonA is looking at.

… To hear of a container port and to know exactly what the above contraption is are two separate issues. That (above) is not “a container port”, just as an exhaust manifold is not “an entire engine”, see?

Perhaps this will help.

Ah-ha! Thanks. :smile: (Now I know)

You are seriuous!!  Whoa…

Those contraptions are the container cranes used to load and unload containers from the container ships.  Terrific shot though especially for not knowing what it was. 

Of course I was serious. :smile:

You see, I work as much with heavy machinery as Richard Simmons does: So even if it looked to be like a crane, to me, it wasn’t sufficient verification to me; I figured I’d ask elsewhere. Thanks for the response, too. :smile:

Sorry pal.  No disrespect intended.  I’ts just surprising that someone could live in this town and not know what those were especially with all of the fanfare surrounding the port.  Time to move under another rock.  Try one with windows… :smiley:

To be sure, I’ve been inundated with port stories, nay-sayers, pessimists, optimists, realists, talks of benefits, drawbacks (yea, have heard them) and so forth. I just wasn’t sure what the heck those points to page 1 were.

Added “drawback”: I live and work from home (Web Development) so indeed, I don’t get out much, save for trips to Safeway, the Dentist and so forth. I’m not a bar kinda guy so that’s out. Thanks again for responses.

…and by the way I didn’t say that those “contraptions” were the container port.  Of course they are the cranes, but they are the most important fixture of the site.

Could have been a smaller thread, indeed.

“What are these?”

“Those are cranes”

"Ah, thank you. :smile: "

I suppose it lends further credence to the idea that what’s important to one person might be inconsequential to another. Thanks, again. :smile:

I don’t think you received an answer right away because it seems highly unlikely that someone living in town would not know what those were.  I thought you were kidding.  Have you seen the new cruise ship dock yet?  :smiley: