Fire on Eastside?

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]I was waiting for someone to bring up the fire fighters.

They did an awesome job!

And, I for one, am glad I pay taxes to pay their salaries.[/quote]

Ditto…when you look at the break down from our taxes, it ain’t much.
Prince rumor is alive and well, I have heard that 2 girls were seen running from there before the first explosion. Just like the report of a plane crash.

Right, because if there were auxiliary or volunteers they might have lost the building.

There are other things we can talk about cutting from our taxes I’m sure. Why cut emergency services?

Especially in a town, with so many old buildings. The wood frames are tinder dry. Seconds count.

I’d gladly lose most of City Hall staff to keep fire fighters paid full time with benefits and vacations etc.

This

While I appreciate the job the firefighters do and personally cannot commit to a volunteer force we should never forget that a lot of communities are protected with them very effectively at a tremendous savings- Prince Rupert was one of them.
A volunteer group doesn’t mean no paid firefighters, it means less of them and utilizing those we have in different ways.
A community with limited funds must make the best use of those funds, does the current role of the fire department and staffing levels meet this communities needs?
At the moment, with this generation, the answer appears to be yes…
It’s sad really.

Our fire department is worth every dollar and then some. Our insurance rates would be higher. Do people look at that paper that comes with our property taxes. It says on a property worth $168 k that $230 goes to emergency services. Some pay more and some less. That’s not a lot.