Fire in the Fort

Close one today!!!
Fire broke out about 4 pm just on the edge of town, like one lot from the first house on the hill. Really strong winds, but it was so close to town it was brought under control quickly.
Half the people here were on the beach watching the helicopter fill it’s bucket right off Cottonwood Park and dump it under a mile away.
Brought some trees down that took out power, but it was restored to town about 7 pm. Unfortunately everything north including the mills will be without power until 4 pm tomorrow.
Heard there were evacuations in Houston, and at the nearby mine!
GTG, stealing bandwidth now, mine’s fed from that area with now power until tomorrow!

lots of dry beetle kill around there no? good luck.

Power was restored at 5 pm today. The usual ID10T calls.
Did you know that it’s ‘unacceptable’ that the Internet should go off when a forest fire burns out the power lines and a cu**stomer can’t get those important emails from his sister?
Hear that God? Quit tossing those lightning bolts and controlling spontaneous combustions or he’s gonna give you a good telling to!

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Power was restored at 5 pm today. The usual ID10T calls.
Did you know that it’s ‘unacceptable’ that the Internet should go off when a forest fire burns out the power lines and a cu**stomer can’t get those important emails from his sister?
Hear that God? Quit tossing those lightning bolts and controlling spontaneous combustions or he’s gonna give you a good telling to![/quote]

well i’d be pissed too if my ISP was trying to blame god for his issues. There is no god… before you disagree consider the source :wink: Wheres your diesel generator? your customers ARE paying you top dollar are they not? 4 9s uptime is to be expected at your prices.

Yeah you’re right. The guys my equipment is colo’d in should have stopped that chopper dropping water and forced the pilot to fly through the smoke at gunpoint to refuel the generators.
I mean what’s a little wood no one is buying anyway compared to the pain suffering involved having to remember there’s backup 56K dailup. Little Billy could be four by the time that 12 megapixel shot of him with cake on his face downloaded.
I’d flagellate myself out of shame but the pricklebushes all burned too…:smiley:

In 25 years of driving through the Fraser Canyon I’ve never experienced the smoke that I drove through yesterday and today.
Williams Lake was positively eerie looking, driving into the town yesterday you couldn’t even see the lake, and the sun was almost completely covered. Road crews in Willams Lake were spraying green fire retardant on the side of the roads to try to create a fire break.
I’m spending the night in Smithers, I should be home in PR tomorrow (our clothing smells smoky indeed.) :smile:

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Yeah you’re right. The guys my equipment is colo’d in should have stopped that chopper dropping water and forced the pilot to fly through the smoke at gunpoint to refuel the generators.
I mean what’s a little wood no one is buying anyway compared to the pain suffering involved having to remember there’s backup 56K dailup. Little Billy could be four by the time that 12 megapixel shot of him with cake on his face downloaded.
I’d flagellate myself out of shame but the pricklebushes all burned too…:smiley:[/quote]

Should have told all the tards that were complaining, to go to the beach and watch the helicopter put out the fires instead of bitching at you! I would have changed the message on your business answering machine to " sorry we are down right now, i can’t come to the phone, im at the beach watching the helicopter out out the fire that has caused this issue for the whole town’

Made a run to Terrace Friday afternoon and back Saturday to drop off the grandkids. The smoke thickens as you go thru Vanderhoof-Burns Lake.
There was a camp with a whole row of motorhomes and dozens of tents for the fire crews in Fraser Lake, the radio played a loop of evacuation notices and asked people to call if they couldn’t get out, huge area south of town.
Got held up by roadwork in Endako and we were gagging on the smoke. I don’t know how they managed to work at all.
On the way home, the cell went off with one of the customers having Internet trouble. She was right pissed off that I wasn’t in town to instantly deal with her problem. Demanded to speak to me, even told Cath I better pull over to talk to her, the smoke couldn’t possibly have anything to do with it. Got politely told to fuck off. And of course, it came back on in 5 minutes according to the logs…

Wow it’s been Hell Week, power outages, fires, blown equipment and off-road closures so I can’t even get to our transmission sites!

wish i was there Herb, i would lend ya a hand!

Drove from Calgary to Kelowna earlier this week. Very hazy in the pass, lots of smoke.

Then drove north yesterday. Smoke everywhere during the entire trip. After PG, it started raining, so that helped things. Vanderhoof smelled like a campfire that had just been extinguished.