Fire dept

Well stinky, you better work on your reading comprehension. I have never “cried the blues” once on this forum. And I probably volunteer more of my time than you ever will. Now if you try real hard and listen one more time I will explain something to you; I submitted an idea that is widely used and accepted in other communities. If you don’t agree, that is ok. I am certainly not going to get worked up one way or the other over this, if the people of the city want status quo, then so be it. If you don’t like debate and alternative ideas to real issues, that is your problem.

boohoo :frowning: ya you prob have volunteered more than i have, cuz you are old and grumpy and been around longer than i have… your crazy crazyhorse you need to start taking your meds again. have fun playing with your friends on HTMF

You sound older and grumpier than me stink boy, and look at your number of posts, you play on here twice as much as me.

Anyway, enough on this topic. When the trolls arrive, I’m out.

Just FYI, you both sound like you’re 16 year old girls…

As much as a volunteer fire department would save the city money I am sure if most of you guys had a fire and one of your loved ones was inside the house you would want a qualified fireman. Not a weekend warrior.

Another data point. I talked to someone yesterday who recently bought a house in a rural area in Northwest BC. His house is (luckily) less than 8km from a firehall, with 1 full-time professional firefighter (the chief), and the rest are auxiliaries.

He insured his house for roughly the same value as mine, and shopped around to 4 different insurance companies to get the lowest rate. He pays about 3.5 times what I pay in insurance. I pay about $600/year, he pays just over $2000/year. The reason? The fire safety classification.

He’s lucky he’s within the area of that volunteer department, of course. Had he been a few km further away, it would have been well over $5000/year for insurance.

I think any tax savings in Prince Rupert will be dwarfed by huge insurance increases. And where would you rather be sending your dollars? On jobs in Prince Rupert, or sending them to insurance companies in Toronto?

[quote=“MiG”]Another data point. I talked to someone yesterday who recently bought a house in a rural area in Northwest BC. His house is (luckily) less than 8km from a firehall, with 1 full-time professional firefighter (the chief), and the rest are auxiliaries.

He insured his house for roughly the same value as mine, and shopped around to 4 different insurance companies to get the lowest rate. He pays about 3.5 times what I pay in insurance. I pay about $600/year, he pays just over $2000/year. The reason? The fire safety classification.

He’s lucky he’s within the area of that volunteer department, of course. Had he been a few km further away, it would have been well over $5000/year for insurance.

I think any tax savings in Prince Rupert will be dwarfed by huge insurance increases. And where would you rather be sending your dollars? On jobs in Prince Rupert, or sending them to insurance companies in Toronto?[/quote]

Now now thats not a fair point :wink:. They ARE spending their money on jobs in Prince Rupert just at citywest not at the fire dept.

Okay I’ll stop harping on citywest for a bit… but hopefully the city wakes up before its too late and citywest is nothing more than a liability they cant offload/afford.