Fire department in prince rupert

[quote=“hitest”]

I am happy that you guys are there…keeping us safe. :smile:[/quote]

Thanks to you and everyone else for your support!!

[quote=“hitest”]

I am happy that you guys are there…keeping us safe. :smile:[/quote]

I totally agree with you hitest ! This is one service in Rupert that I deem basically priceless! As someone mentioned earlier, looking at cost cutting, first place to look is the City and the workers there! Despite posters on here with conflicts with some personnel at the firehouse, who cares, it’s the work they do and their performance, not if someone likes them or not ! Kudos to all you fire fellas and gals!

I believe your doing an excellent job as well and i think we should get a new fire hall. If the rcmp can spend 1.1 million on renovations and 160 thousand on cameras .Then I think the fire men and woman should be provided with the best possible equipment to do their job to the best of their ability.

thank you all for proving my point. i took Ruperts most prized medallion and started trash talking it to use as my example. sorry fire hall staff and firefighters for this as you were afended by my slanderous words. Rupert lacks civic pride alot unless people trash talk the P.R rampage or the P.R.F.D as you can tell in this tread, 90% of the posts in this tread were for the fire dept spending 450000 U.S dollars to get a new truck or getting what they need in order to do their job, now if we can channel some of that pride into something like parks or the clean up of Diana lake or a bridge across the harbor to the mainland turn it into a giant park/ dog park. someone should wake up bring this to the mayor and say we have nothing to proud about in this town that we can show other people who don’t live here, we need something to say to others you know what yes you have a lake and yes you have this awesome park but we have all this as well so and to add we got this awesome landscape to go with it all. rupert can be a paradise but only if we make it into one

Or an ESL class…English Second Language Class for adults.

if they can afford a new truck they can give some more money to the library or the SPCA that needs it just as bad dont you think?

I can’t believe ANYONE is questioning the need for life saving devices… I really can’t. It really boggles my mind. If any of you complainers houses catch fire, you should waive the right to have the new truck used to help save your house.

Think about having a family member trapped in a burning house. Who would you like to respond, the fire department or a volunteer fire department. The city wastes money on a lot of other things than new fire trucks. There have been a few times when they need all the trucks they can get.

are people that hateful in this town come on now OK i dislike a few members of the fire hall for personal reasons but to have them lose there jobs to become a volunteer fire department is absurd because guess what happens, there well be less jobs in this crap hole we call home people. then your low ass paying job that you have right now, well guess what it well become there low ass paying job and you well be on welfare making less then 700 bucks a month. god are people that blind that they don’t even see a chain of events that well follow ahead of time after a major change like that would bring to this town. as far as a new truck they did need it that bloody out hag that was rotting in the department was always breaking down on them when they needed it the most and for the cost well yes they could have found a cheeper one then the one they have now but who cares now its been what a good six months now since they had it you should have made an up roar back then idiot its not now your going to be able to make a change, you got to do that in the beginning when they first got it

Firefighter. Thanks for the informative and eloquent rationale.

People are funny. They often make sweeping generalizations of complex issues. Fire department evolve out of necessity, they don’t just happen. No two department are the same just as the communities they serve are never the same. I should not need to remind that our community has had some catastrophic blazes in our history. This is all to easily overlooked by the over simplified view of people that don’t know our past.

I recall some time back, a fire had started in a business on third avenue across from the CityTel building. Someone please feel free to jump in if my memory doesn't serve. At that time the street was dug up in front of the fire and they couldn't get any equipment close to it. I believe the Bronto was in the shop for some reason and they had to resort to hand laying hose over the hill from the hydrants on fourth avenue. In the end they had helicopters with fire bags dumping water on the blaze and finally got it contained. The situation could have been much worse if VIH didn't have that forest fire equipment. This is the type of fire that arial trucks like the Bronto and the new ladder truck were purchased to fight. When buildings started being built surpassing five floors the fire dept needed to evolve to deal with high fires.

After the third avenue fire I recall a gentleman making a comment, saying the city should get rid of the Bronto because all we really need is a helicopter. Like I said, people are funny!

I think that we are lucky to have such a committed team or force to help this community with emergency situations, they not only serve at the station but also present themselves in and around the community with special functions. Yes we are much better off with a group of dedicated people .

[quote=“soundbyte”]People are funny. They often make sweeping generalizations of complex issues. Fire department evolve out of necessity, they don’t just happen. No two department are the same just as the communities they serve are never the same. I should not need to remind that our community has had some catastrophic blazes in our history. This is all to easily overlooked by the over simplified view of people that don’t know our past.

I recall some time back, a fire had started in a business on third avenue across from the CityTel building. Someone please feel free to jump in if my memory doesn't serve. At that time the street was dug up in front of the fire and they couldn't get any equipment close to it. I believe the Bronto was in the shop for some reason and they had to resort to hand laying hose over the hill from the hydrants on fourth avenue. In the end they had helicopters with fire bags dumping water on the blaze and finally got it contained. The situation could have been much worse if VIH didn't have that forest fire equipment. This is the type of fire that arial trucks like the Bronto and the new ladder truck were purchased to fight. When buildings started being built surpassing five floors the fire dept needed to evolve to deal with high fires.

After the third avenue fire I recall a gentleman making a comment, saying the city should get rid of the Bronto because all we really need is a helicopter. Like I said, people are funny![/quote]

The Fire Department didn’t acquire the Bronto until after this fire. People’s memories are funny too.

It was the original Joan’s Flowers and there was one fatality in the apartments above the businesses, the Fire Chief reported that the City having the streets dug up didn’t compromise the Fire Department’s ability to fight the fire. It was shortly after that the Bronto was purchased.

Salami slicing at it’s most useless. The question is do you or do you not want a trained professional fire fighting department? I know I do , whatever my property taxes are. Helps me sleep at night. And while I’m on the subject of taxes why don’t we talk about the fact that corporations pay the least amount of taxes? Why is that? Why aren’t we talking about corporate welfare?

[quote=“Ijustgottasay”]

[quote=“soundbyte”]People are funny. They often make sweeping generalizations of complex issues. Fire department evolve out of necessity, they don’t just happen. No two department are the same just as the communities they serve are never the same. I should not need to remind that our community has had some catastrophic blazes in our history. This is all to easily overlooked by the over simplified view of people that don’t know our past.

After the third avenue fire I recall a gentleman making a comment, saying the city should get rid of the Bronto because all we really need is a helicopter. Like I said, people are funny![/quote]

The Fire Department didn’t acquire the Bronto until after this fire. People’s memories are funny too.

It was the original Joan’s Flowers and there was one fatality in the apartments above the businesses, the Fire Chief reported that the City having the streets dug up didn’t compromise the Fire Department’s ability to fight the fire. It was shortly after that the Bronto was purchased.[/quote]

Yes, memories can be funny. Event compression is what I like to call it LOL. Thanks for the correction, it’s reassuring to know that collectively we can get the facts strait. However, notwithstanding my lapses in memory, the point I was making is still valid. Arial trucks provide a platform to get large volumes of water up high and drop it on target. This is why we have this equipment. As for the departments ability to fight this fire, everyone has a different take on it. I do know that the fire chief had real concerns about having helicopters dropping tons of water on his crews heads and that the decision to use them was not made lightly. No matter what the press was told, there were worries.

The original question was about the need for a truck and its associated expense. But since I like salami, I’ll have some of yours.

My apologies for my lack of clarity. I thought my post implied that a new truck was needed. Not much point in having a trained professional fire dept without the necessary equipment.

I believe you also owe us an apology for your lack of punctuality!!!

Are there time limits for replies? Is there a posted protocol/netiquette for replies on htmf?

Great question. I don’t think there’s an easy answer. I didn’t think your replies were too late.

I think a rule of thumb would be a couple of weeks. If a thread is more than a couple of weeks old, you might want to start a new thread and just refer back to the old one with a link. But that’s just about convenience – so that people don’t have to flip through a bunch of older posts to read new ones. No real rules though.

BigThumb did coin the term ‘threadging’ for the practice of dredging up old threads. Google it for some examples of use: google.ca/search?q=threadging

Besides, you can always tell when your posts are having a real effect on HTMF when someone complains about them :smile: