FAMILY DAY (Sorry for the offense)

I am greatly disturbed and upset by Liberal leadership candidate Christy Clark’s proposal to create a holiday
between January 1st. and the next ensuing holiday. She is using the term ‘Family Day’ to designate this proposed holiday.

Although I am sure that another holiday will take some of the burdens of our daily struggle to cope with our economic
situation, and our perceived impression of Government waste and corruption off of our shoulders, I am outraged
by her use of the term ‘Family Day’.

I had thought that we in Canada had finally come to the realization that the names that we give to our holidays are
distasteful and even hurting to our citizens who do not share in the meaning of those said holidays, and had done
our utmost to rename those said holidays to make our said citizens’ feel included in those said holidays.

Ms. Clark, I beg and implore you to think of the citizens of our Province who do not have families and who would
be tortured by being reminded of this fact every year between January 1st. and the next ensuing holiday.
I also feel that even our holidays that have had names re designated for them are still very troubling to some of
our fellow citizens who’s values and beliefs differ from the designated names of those said holidays.

To this end I propose that we further re designate our holidays as follows:

January 1st. Holiday one. (Not every one celebrates News Day on the first of January)
Then all the ensuing holidays as follows: Holiday two, Holiday three, Holiday four etc. etc.

I realize and regret that this may disturb some of our numerically challenged citizens, but I do not think
that it would cause near the misery and pain that the present designations needlessly do.

Why be offended by the name. Be offended that this is the shallowest yet of the crap so far lame offerings of Liberal candidates.
This has been tossed around for years and while most other provinces have enacted it the Liberals and their mutant predecessors failed to act in 30 years.
She’ll mention it. Caucus will quash it.

Another holiday? Well, I think if we are honest, most people now only observe these holidays as another day off ! X-Mas? is too commercial and stressful, Easter?, many are not religious, Remembrance Day?, a true day to pay tribute to our fallen soldiers but never used to be a holiday, Canada Day?, a nice celebration, Heritage Day? ( or whatever Aug.1 is called), I don’t know what that is, Labor Day, just another holiday and Thanksgiving, another day off ! Whatever Ms.Clarke or whomever wants to call this new “holiday”, it is just another day to sleep in and wonder about the backup at work the next day (at my job anyway!) I don’t always appreciate these holidays as people get mad at us that we were closed ! Aaargh ! BTW, I think it is a stupid idea also, “Family Day” should be a daily celebration with your loved ones but as you said, some folks could be saddened by a dedicated day forcing them to possibly be reminded of what they are missing in their own lives. Dedicate a day, observing nothing but what it really is, “Day Off Day” and everyone will be happy !!

Family Day is the official February holiday in Alberta, would be nice to have a stat holiday somewhere in between Jan 1st and April this year when good friday happens.

If Christy Clark thinks she can buy votes with the lure of one day off a year, she has another think coming.

This is typical of the “masses are asses” school of politics.

Some people will bitch about anything. If the term “Family Day” is offensive to some because they don’t have families, what about those who don’t have a Mother on Mothers Day? I know that many see “pride” events as offensive yet that is encouraged because of human rights. Rather than take this as a positive step in promoting families and providing a benefit to the citizens of the province, of course there are those that’ll use this to slew political propaganda. Get a life!

Well us French People would like to celebrate ( Saint Jean Baptiste Day ) and we enjoy it with our family. It blows me away how them %$&* liberals are all coming up with bullshit ways to get elected, all as slimie as Gordo.

[quote=“Soggy”]If Christy Clark thinks she can buy votes with the lure of one day off a year, she has another think coming.

This is typical of the “masses are asses” school of politics.[/quote]

Really…?? Do you want to hear what each candidate has to offer before or after they get into office? If she said nothing she’d probably get bitched at for not having a platform. What a thankless position to be in.

And of course the members of the other parties come up with completely honest and respectable ways of being elected. If Saint Jean Baptiste day were as relevant as families are in BC I’d support that as a holiday here in a second.

[quote=“Rumpy”]

[quote=“Soggy”]If Christy Clark thinks she can buy votes with the lure of one day off a year, she has another think coming.

This is typical of the “masses are asses” school of politics.[/quote]

Really…?? Do you want to hear what each candidate has to offer before or after they get into office? If she said nothing she’d probably get bitched at for not having a platform. What a thankless position to be in.[/quote]

Nice deflection, sir. I always listen to what each candidate has to say. But to throw out the ploy of another holiday is simply pandering to the masses and is insignificant when it comes to putting out a platform. You sound like you’ve drunk the koolaid.

I was not “bitching” about the term itself, only about the reason for the day! Is Mothers’ Day a provincial/federal holiday? We shouldn’t need a government sanctioned day to celebrate our families and it is not negative to be realistic that this new “holiday” will just be another day off and that is that ! As far as “pride” day events are concerned,I am all for promoting whatever the event is but I don’t believe that any of them are government holidays either but I could definitely be wrong on that one.

The name is just being suggested because other provinces use that name for the Feb. holiday.

Listened to discussion on NW today and almost puked.
The same lame business bagman claiming to represent my interests as a small business. It would destroy us wahhh wahhh wahh. No mention A the PST commissions I lost would cover two days for all 4 employees B the increase in MSP premiums would cover another C the Jan 1st payroll increases would cover a couple more.
The lady saying we’re all working and can’t have time together anyway makes it a bad idea.
The usual old fart whining how just the teachers and the unions would get it off, so no one should.

People are fucked in the head. The Idiocracy is already here.

I believe that there should be a stat between New Years and Easter, but instead of just adding an extra stat, let’s get rid of one if they want to add one in winter. They should get rid of the August stat, since it has no reason for being. We just had three stats in eight days; Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. We could get rid of one of those. We have enough stat holidays we should just space them out better.

Boxing day is not a stat.

labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/stats.htm

Boxing Day is a federal stat and most unions have it as a stat. That’s why there was no mail both Monday and Tuesday following Christmas weekend.

Normal people don’t get boxing day off nor do they get any extra pay so I dont consider it a stat.

Here is a list of stat holidays in Canada.

statutoryholidays.com/

I was surprised. I didn’t realize that there were stat holidays and optional holidays. Not sure what they mean from province to province.

[quote=“jesus”]

Normal people don’t get boxing day off nor do they get any extra pay so I dont consider it a stat.[/quote]

They actually do, but nowadays there are enough people willing to demean themselves by not demanding fair wages, benefits or holidays it would seem to be so.
Being an oddball who never worked anywhere they didn’t give you Boxing Day off and pay you for it, I give it to my employees as a stat.

*not quite true. I once sold my company to a scumbag Texan and agreed to work for him for wages. He called me in Vancouver asking why I wasn’t manning the store here on Boxing Day as it wasn’t a stat and I wasn’t some union fuckhead so get back here.
When I did I tore up the agreement, and as the lease was still in my name until Dec 31st called the RCMP and had him frog-marched off the premises. Opened up as a new business down the street an Jan 3rd… lots of fun.