External DVD burners?

Is there such a thing? Would someone have one I could borrow? I have a lot of crap on my computer I would like to back up so I can gain some space back… I just can’t bring myself to delete anything.

How easy to set up are internal dvd-burners? I’ve been meaning to buy one for a long time now, but like I’ve said before, it’s not all that important and there’s other things to save for now… like going to Nationals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[quote=“smartass”]Is there such a thing? Would someone have one I could borrow? I have a lot of crap on my computer I would like to back up so I can gain some space back… I just can’t bring myself to delete anything.

How easy to set up are internal dvd-burners? I’ve been meaning to buy one for a long time now, but like I’ve said before, it’s not all that important and there’s other things to save for now… like going to Nationals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]

Yes there is such a thing. You can turn any internal DVD writer into an external by mounting it in one of those little USB2.0 or Firewire enclosures. As far as setting them up goes, it isn’t any different that installing a CD or HD drive. Screw it in, set the jumper, plug the cables in and you’re done like dinner. I paid about $100CAD for my burner at xmas time, so they’re pretty cheap. I imagine some are floating around the $60CAD range.

Wow, okay so NCIX sells some for around $60 bucks and they’re faster, and support dual layer disks. This sexy looking Samsung is exactly what you would want. If you don’t have room for one in your case, grab something like this 5.25" enclosure for another $40 bucks.

Cheers

[edit] oh and you can do the same thing with hard drives, if you wanted more space for the dollar. [/edit]

Thanks orangetang… I never know what stuff to look for. Now I want that burner and my credit card back.