Expanded Shoppers Drug Mart opening in the mall

Heard from a very reliable mall source that Shopper’s Drug Mart is expanding in the half of the old Extra Foods location, opening in first half of 2012. They also confirmed that a sporting goods store (Sports Mart/Sports Chek) will be operating in the other half of the unit.

Heard the other half was going to be a Dollarama Store as they have shut down half of the Dollar Store on 3rd. and Reitmans and Marks are not moving for the new WalMart. They are staying put!

[quote=“codybear933”]

Heard the other half was going to be a Dollarama Store as they have shut down half of the Dollar Store on 3rd. and Reitmans and Marks are not moving for the new WalMart. They are staying put![/quote]

“Dollarama” and “Your Dollar Store with More” are completely different companies, so I doubt any of that is connected.

As for Marks/Reitmans, how do you know that for sure? I have heard the exacty opposite.

The dollar store on third avenue HAS NOT!! Closed
it was just compacted…the small upper portion is no longer dollar store

[quote=“Quarter Milli”]The dollar store on third avenue HAS NOT!! Closed
it was just compacted…the small upper portion is no longer dollar store[/quote]

Nobody said it was closing. The upper half was closed up and that part is up for rent. What was said is that the other half of the area housing the new Shoppers is supposed to be a Dollarama Store and I spoke to a couple of employees in the Mall today who told me that Reitmans and Marks were not moving so I figure they would know better than anyone ! Sooo, who is going to pull all their pennies together to open a new Mr. Mikes down at Kwinitsa. The sign is on the old station for a Franchise Opportunity. I wonder how much one of those franchises would cost, sure would be nice if we have some rich folk in town !

A Mr. Mikes will set you back 1.5 million to 3.5 million…A Keg will set u back 4 million.

I heard the Shoppers is going to be 5 times the size of the current store. Finally they will have everything in the flyer! :smile:

i dont see it being 5 times the size
if it is, that would take up more then half of the extra foods space
id see 3x the size being closer, maybe 3.5x

I have been told numerous times by Zellers staff and workers at Marks, that Marks and Reitmans are not moving. There was a staff meeting at Zellers in the past two weeks, and workers were told that Walmart will be the current size of Zellers right now. It will also be what was referred to as a ‘mini walmart’ which likely might mean that it will be an Urban 90 which is the smaller Walmart version that they have in parts of eastern canada.
As for Shoppers down stairs although I am happy for the larger store I will miss it at it’s current location. I had not heard that Sports Check was going to take the other half of the old extra foods site. I think Rupert has enough junk dollar store type places already so i hope Dollarama is not coming.
None of what is coming means I will stop shopping in Terrace…

[quote=“Quarter Milli”]i dont see it being 5 times the size
id see 3x the size being closer, maybe 3.5x[/quote]

It will have 5 times the floor space. If you take our Shoppers and compare it to the Shoppers in Terrace I think its safe to say that is atleast 5 time larger, maybe even more. Our shoppers will become very similar to Terraces.

[quote=“FranzJoseph”]

It will have 5 times the floor space. If you take our Shoppers and compare it to the Shoppers in Terrace I think its safe to say that is atleast 5 time larger, maybe even more. Our shoppers will become very similar to Terraces.[/quote]

Hello, my name is Franz, my cousin Ajaye recommended this site to me.

Can i ask the question that no one is asking…Why? why does rupert need these kind of stores when the economy is in the tubes. i could see stuff like this happen if phase 2 were in the works and some other projects but at the moment why a larger shoppers?

[quote=“FranzJoseph”]

It will have 5 times the floor space. If you take our Shoppers and compare it to the Shoppers in Terrace I think its safe to say that is atleast 5 time larger, maybe even more. Our shoppers will become very similar to Terraces.[/quote]

u must be ajayes long lost child
unless the shoppers takes up the entire extra foods space
there is no way that it will be five times the size

it will only be half that space as i have heard from many ppl that it will be split in half with another business, supposedly a sportmart/sportchek but noone if forsure yet

[quote=“FranzJoseph”]

u must be ajayes long lost child
unless the shoppers takes up the entire extra foods space
there is no way that it will be five times the size

it will only be half that space as i have heard from many ppl that it will be split in half with another business, supposedly a sportmart/sportchek but noone if forsure yet

Ahem! Some of us would rather shop here than Terrace, that’s why we need these stores.

Expanding local business which creates additional jobs and promotes shopping locally is certainly a good way to improve the economy. Sitting on out hands and waiting for the goose to lay a golden egg isn’t going to work.

Shoppers will take up the majority of the old Extra Foods space. Dollarama will occupy the area which used to be the pharmacy and dairy departments.

yup those 9.50/hr jobs are gonna save prince rupert… especially when personal and business taxes increase again to pay for citywests expenditures that will definitely help the economy. Better fly half of council to china again that sure helped and keep up that cruise ship task force its certainly helping.

Oh and just before phase 2 construction is ready to start you should all file for an injunction to halt construction again.

Prince Rupert needs large industry jobs these min wage jobs are not helping your economy. They dont hurt it but right now Rupert is basically a ponzi scheme with the city sitting on top. fixed amount of $$ minimal new money coming in, the majority of money just changes hands enough to keep the peons happy and slowly makes its way back to the city.

I’m very happy to see Shoppers expanding. Not a new business, just a little bigger and better location. Nice change for the staff and customers. Change is good… and this will be welcome I’m sure :smile:
Please…no more dollar stores… give us something with a little substance!!!

P.S. don't forget to turn back the hands of time Saturday night.....

[quote=“jesus”]yup those 9.50/hr jobs are gonna save prince rupert… especially when personal and business taxes increase again to pay for citywests expenditures that will definitely help the economy. Better fly half of council to china again that sure helped and keep up that cruise ship task force its certainly helping.

Oh and just before phase 2 construction is ready to start you should all file for an injunction to halt construction again.

Prince Rupert needs large industry jobs these min wage jobs are not helping your economy. They dont hurt it but right now Rupert is basically a ponzi scheme with the city sitting on top. fixed amount of $$ minimal new money coming in, the majority of money just changes hands enough to keep the peons happy and slowly makes its way back to the city.[/quote]

I second that thought.