Eviction of CN, Sport Fishermen, Logging companies...?

vancouversun.com/sports/Firs … story.html

What does all this mean? Are CN to be evicted?

under the recent Supreme Court Ruling recognizing title of the land to a certain native band all the other bands without treaties will now flex their muscles, problem with the gitxsan is they are saying certain land claimed by other native bands are theirs and they want title to it stating the SCC ruling. But under the SCC ruling the band would have to have had EXCLUSIVE use of the land, ie no other band is claiming it, so that would mean the gitxsan, sry if i’m spelling it wrong, would not have title to the disputed land. other native bands might to certain land if they had exclusive use of the land

So what part of the Skeena ? Kasiks ? Pollymare? …

They will never wrestle control away from the masses for any fishing spots along the Skeena, it will never happen and there will be mass unrest if they even attempt to keep sport fishers from polymar or like places along the Skeena.

Lets be real for a second, they arent going to evict CN, sports fisherment or logging companies. They want CN to challenge it in court and they want CN to lose and then they want to charge CN, logging companies, and sports fishermen whatever they feel like. I could see this extending to highways as well and maybe your house… Paranoid? maybe but 5 years ago if someone said they would be attempting to evict CN you would have been called paranoid as well.

If they are allowed to do this it is a death sentence to our economy and frankly might start civil unrest but logic be damned they will move forward.

I agree Jesus with all what you said and I think it’s manufactured to cause civil unrest to implement something fare more evil. … lol… but I am paranoid…lol

I wouldnt say they are trying to cause civil unrest directly but are either oblivious to the level of unrest it will cause or just dont care. People have generally been tolerant thus far as for most canadians the land claims issues have not had a direct effect on us, this changes all that.

The skeena is my traditional fishing area too and ill be damned if I’m going to stop fishing there now. I certainly will be involved in the inevitable protests that will happen if this is allowed.

Forget the protests, they will have to drag me away in a coffin before I will ever pay a fee to First Nations to be able to fish the skeena or any other area of this province.

this whole issue is getting really old … as much as I worry about the damage pipe lines and other things may cause, the truth is we need something to drive the economy, to allow people to be employed to have a tax base to pay for all the social structures and programs we value… there is no free ride someone has to pay for it one way or another…

you have as much right as anyone to be there …

In the new L.E.H. Hunting draw, the people that got draws in one area are being denied now as the natives are also taking over that section for hunting. The natives are taking many of our recreational things away from us. This is just the beginning of what is to come. They will be interfering in the economy and getting more rights as we lose ours. It is so sad to see this happening as we were, one country, one law and one people.

I can appreciate that this is upsetting. I will indeed be curious to see how this plays out. I suspect that some type of compromise can perhaps be worked out with regard to access to resources. Interesting times ahead.

I’m not willing to compromise and neither are many others we’ve compromised enough, I will not pay anything. We shouldnt have to, its our country too and I’ll be damned if I will be denied access to areas I’ve used since I was a kid.

[quote=“jesus”]
I’m not willing to compromise and neither are many others we’ve compromised enough, I will not pay anything. We shouldnt have to, its our country too and I’ll be damned if I will be denied access to areas I’ve used since I was a kid.[/quote]

No argument from me, jesus. There may indeed be some pushing back in the days to come. Interesting times ahead.

[quote=“jesus”]

I’m not willing to compromise and neither are many others we’ve compromised enough, I will not pay anything. We shouldnt have to, its our country too and I’ll be damned if I will be denied access to areas I’ve used since I was a kid.[/quote]

We joe blow public work to pay for all of the bs and they want to block us from as you say using areas we have used since we were kids… its going to get interesting … i wish the goverment would pay out and get this over with again the general population pays for it …thus needing work and recreation areas during off periods

Under the SCC ruling a first nation has to prove title in court, which the Tsilhgot’in did for part of their traditional territory by submitting substantial evidence of exclusive use before the BC Supreme Court.

Even if a first nation succeeds, government can still permit economic development of lands so long as it provides justification and proceeds fairly. In practical terms that probably means that everyone has to benefit. As the Court said (para 125) there has to be “… a principled reconciliation of Aboriginal rights with the interests of all Canadians”.
scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-cs … 6/index.do

If whoever is talking about evicting CN and others reads the decision they will find that it does not support such a position. Hopefully wise counsel will prevail.

Meanwhile, it will be interesting to see how the Gitxaala first nation applies the Tsilhgot’in decision in its court challenge of the federal government’s decision to approve the Enbridge project < marketwired.com/press-releas … 929101.htm >.

So the August 4th deadline looms…

straight.com/news/696276/git … western-bc

So what I am hearing and it was a conversation at Ronald’s this morning , come Monday that if you are not First Nations , you will not be allowed to fish the Skeena and tributaries which run into it , to fish salmon . Now my question is why must their neighbors , white friends or other cultures be punished or suffer because of the federal government . We have lived together for so many years but due to the government we must pay . So with this new act where FN Chiefs must declare their money situation and the millions not accounted for , will we be held at bay because of shitty book keeping or someone’s greed .

Fuck them they have no authority over me or anyone else. They can get fucked.

Well reading up on this subject , its going to start going down starting Monday Aug.4th.2014 . I do not think this is fair to either cultures . Why , I ask again should our governments allow this kind of shit to go down , it will affect my brother down the street , no matter if he is white or First Nations . Many of us who work , play , fish or have coffee together . It will cause discomfort and uneasiness among many personnel situations . Hopefully many of us will be above that and we can allow the principle players to fix what they have broken once again . The Globe and Mail have a big write up on this serious mess , worth reading .