Enbridge support (apparently)

If this is true and the support is not as dubious as the claimed support in hazelton then I am very, very disappointed in the absolute idiots who let short term greed win out over long term stability.

I don’t think there would be anywhere near the amount of objection to this pipeline if the oil was being refined here in BC and then shipped out as a value add product but instead we get this shit pile of no benefit and all the risk which will likely destroy whats left of the fishing industry in the north.

The natives really are the only ones who will have the ability to stand against this pipeline since our governments have sold us out and it’s disappointing to hear this news. Though I believe enbridge has been claiming support for some time.

I sniff another Oka-style standoff coming if they try to put that pipeline through. It’s not just the fishing that would damaged - alot of natives still live heavily off the land even today, seaweed, fish, clams etc.

I know its not just fishing that would be harmed, fishing would be absolutely obliterated though. most other species would survive although they would be hurt.

Would imagine there is Would think support on the BC side is much tougher to come by. Maybe Ajay will take a job with Enbridge.

It is very sad this support for Enbridge … however some people are facing hardship to the point that they are willing to accept the risks.
very sad but when you are struggling with a family to support after for some what has been long term difficulty, I can understand it…
Some might fall for the idea that there will be a fiancial gain, and it’s all part of enbridge’s game to get what they want but I cannot blame the people that are facing hardship that want to support families, they will cling to any hope…

It’s a shame that Hazelton decided to support the pipeline. I wonder what long-term benefits this town thought they’re going to see.

Ajaye would be a potential PR disaster for Enbridge. Hope they hire him. Please.

They say the have 60%, but won’t name the parties. I don’t think they have 60% at all.

[quote=“PLA”]It’s a shame that Hazelton decided to support the pipeline. I wonder what long-term benefits this town thought they’re going to see.

Ajaye would be a potential PR disaster for Enbridge. Hope they hire him. Please.[/quote]

Hazleton didnt support it one person did and claimed the entire band did. The support has since been revoked.

[quote=“jamesbrown”]It is very sad this support for Enbridge … however some people are facing hardship to the point that they are willing to accept the risks.
very sad but when you are struggling with a family to support after for some what has been long term difficulty, I can understand it…
Some might fall for the idea that there will be a fiancial gain, and it’s all part of enbridge’s game to get what they want but I cannot blame the people that are facing hardship that want to support families, they will cling to any hope…[/quote]

Why don’t you ask the Dene people of Northern Alberta about “hardship”… They made a deal with the devil, and now hundreds of them are dropping dead from brain cancer because they are forced to eat mutated fish from their “traditional territory”

[quote=“Head Dissident”]

[quote=“jamesbrown”]It is very sad this support for Enbridge … however some people are facing hardship to the point that they are willing to accept the risks.
Some might fall for the idea that there will be a fiancial gain, and it’s all part of enbridge’s game to get what they want but I cannot blame the people that are facing hardship that want to support families, they will cling to any hope…[/quote]

Why don’t you ask the Dene people of Northern Alberta about “hardship”… They made a deal with the devil, and now hundreds of them are dropping dead from brain cancer because they are forced to eat mutated fish from their “traditional territory”[/quote]

Oh no argument it is just sad the tough choices people make and have to deal as you say with the devil… I cannot blame anyone for even falling for enbridge’s game desperate situations cause bad choices

Just sit tight. Native leaders will have something to say on this soon. There are many people working on the side of common sense: no pipeline. The Enoch-Cree band want to build a refinery in Alberta. The northcoast of B.C. will remain…Cool, Clean Water.

Dear windchime,
I believe you’re right, I,m gettin a little antsee to see results. I hope that people can come together for a sound use of our resourses, which is to the benefit of all. we in Canada can lead in sensible use of resourses. Lets get it together.

“We will stop this project,” said Art Sterritt of the Coastal First Nations. See their website and click on “What’s New”.

Good site, and thanks. I’m not First Nations, but I’ll be there… Please post for support.

Apparently Enbridge has even included Metis in their figures, and also widened the pipeline corridor by 80 kilometres to include native groups who would never be impacted by a spill:

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … ml?cmp=rss

Words for people to ponder…re: our supposedly “forever confusing infrastructure”

I worked in the govt system for 10 years, in Public Health & in the school district.
I was recruited, based on my Mainstream Business background & Coaching Certification.
My wife is a Teacher & we coach as a team, since 1995.
We are currently coaching an Under 14 NW Boys Basketball team, with players from Smithers, Terrace & Rupert, travelling to the Summer Games in July.

I am considered a Professional Aboriginal, not status quo & can articulate the difference.

I have family members involved in Band Council & groups like Coastal first nations.

With other professionals & Cultures, we have mapped out the simple infrastructure of our town, in politics, business & social structure.
This provides a very clear picture as to where every body stands & as well a "gauge"as to where we are socially.
This work was done in an attempt to draw a picture to work from re: bullying, grad rates, extra curricular activities, vandalism, etc. All of these issues stem from govt funding to govt offices & first nation offices.

This “Mapping out” can also be used to place groups (first nation or non)within that infrastructure to study their “measureable results” (govt term) from the last decade.
Groups like coastal first nations & any other groups that refer to themselves as “first nation” are with offices that are products of the govt. I say this respectfully & as a simple assessment.
Who else is calling themselves first nation? CFNR, all native tourney, friendship houses, band councils, first nation health, first nation education…etc.

If people look at the “protests” of the last 15 years or so, whether is it farm fish, the port, etc,
You have “first nation” people there & you have legitimate Traditional People, this is always the case.
(It is first nation groups that control the funding for “Aboriginal Day” & other events…plenty of funding)

First nation groups attend these “protests” & say certain things, but in the end, they will be siding with the people that provide them with funding.
First nation people are into this society, not Traditional…look at their bank accounts, vehicles, boats, houses, eating out, other property, logging companies, ferries, etc.

More & more people are simply looking at the last 20 years to get a reflection of what has been happening.

Do intelligent people want to believe that the govt is going to allow these first nation groups to think on their own? & possibly interrupt their agenda?

The objective is not to bash the system or first nation, but to define what we are in the middle of & bring like minds together…socially things are out of control, whether people want to admit it or not, you are not going to hear govt or first nation offices admit this…how can you take a govt cheque for 10 years & admit you are failing?
There are ethical responsibilities there, but this infrastructure gives status quo the option to ignore their conscience…“but they will still strike for a raise that will keep their “salary” up with inflation…”

Approx 15 % of govt employees are earning their salary, accross the board…these people make other govt employees nervous for being to “productive”

If the govt wants the pipeline to go through, first nation groups are already on board.
In the past, protests have allowed Traditional People & good, honest people of other Cultures to simply “Vent”…the first nation groups simply host the party, remember, who has access to the media?

I am Gitksan, our aunt is ready to sign the deal with enbridge (& the govt) in hazelton.
btw, her & I are not close…I do not fear her mind, but apparently, she fears mine.

for what this is worth…

I cant put my finger on it, but, I find your post Skeena, very offensive.
I know you are entitled to your opinion, but, I still feel offended. Maybe it is your attempt at legitimizing your post with your resume, or your misunderstanding of certain organizations, maybe even your attempt to paint all First Nations with the same brush, any way I am not exactly sure why I feel this way.(Most likely all of the above)
There is one thing that I know for sure, you do not speak for any First Nation, certainly not mine, we are one of the many that have spoken out against this project, and we will continue to fight against the threat to our culture PERIOD.
I respect your right to your opinion, but you are no better than what you call the status quo and please do not act like you know what is going on in my community.

I @skeena I too am aboriginal, and I find your comments are misinformed. I would strongly urge you too spend more time in the aboriginal community. You really can’t expect to “freeze” a portion of society in the past. Just because someone has a bank account, etc. doesn’t mean that they aren’t fully concerned about the environment. I find your effort to compartmentalize aboriginal into categories that were created by the very people you speak against, kind of ironic. Your post suggests that you would have us wearing traditional clothing and living with no electricity. The lateral oppression is a sign of systematic abuse. BTW, aboriginal people don’t corner the market on environmental concerns. I have been lucky enough to meet many people who were just as concerned for the environment, and just happened to be either aboriginal or non aboriginal.

What you have done is bought into is Enbridge’s plan to plant doubt, they want you, me to look at our neighbors and guess you sold us out, while our neighbors do the same. Where your from is irrelevant, what you stand for is what is of concern.

Its unfortunate that the only ones given ang say in the project were the natives while.the rest of.the stakeholders were sold out by our reoresentatives. what is also unfortunate is that the government appears to only.be paying lip service to natives. The pipeline is a forgone conclusion.

Hmm. Skeena, I imagine you’re the same person who put out the rant against Aboriginal organizations several years ago in the Daily News and tried, very unsuccessfully, to get a group going to help you in your deluded mission? I suppose it was no coincidence that you had previously been let go by a couple of these organizations. I thought you had left town but, nope, still swinging at phantoms.