Enbridge confirms Chinese investment in pipeline

Shares in Calgary-based Enbridge rose Friday, a day after it disclosed that state-owned Sinopec, China’s largest oil refiner, is an investor in its proposed $5.5-billion Northern Gateway pipeline project.

Read more: cbc.ca/canada/british-columb … z1Bhsm5WA7

Does anyone have any doubt this is a done deal?

fuck I’ve been saying that since DAY 1. These big companies get what they want, no matter what the natives and the little people say.

All it takes is ONE dipshit forklift driver in Kitimat to want that job and they are going to use him as the banner to hang their entire operation off of. “It created jobs!” and that is all it will take to steamroll the issue through the government. The media won’t say boo. And no one will be pissed off enough to take physical action against construction / operations. And if they do they picked up like Liebo and disappeared.

I have been saying this from the instant I heard its proposal. The government takes 25% of the oil running through the pipelines value in inflation-proof escrow for 10 years. After ten years you start to get pay outs from that 25% on a year to year basis. In the meantime if you run your supertanker into the rocks at Maitland Island the government already has a FAT billion dollar plus fund to put into action the most insane cleanup the world has ever seen. I’m talking every single piece of gravel from the old eurocan dock to princess royal island gets hand sham-wowed by a team of PhDs. Plus you get punitive penalties that the government already has in hand. And the contracts signed by enbridge to get permission for their oil transport has ceded all rights to legal recourse to get this money back in the event of a spill.

THE EFFECTS OF THIS POLICY:
Firstly: Enbridge runs a FUCKING TIGHT SHIP when their multi billion dollar dividend is at risk.
Secondly : The government of BC gets a multi billion dollar fund that they can gain interest on, use for capital infrastructure projects, you name it.

THEY ARE GOING TO GET PERMISSION TO DO THIS!! WE HAVE TO BE PROACTIVE IN SETTING THE TERMS OF THIS TRANSPORT ! OR WE ARE GOING TO GET FUCKED!

these ships wont get through our waters thats for sure im making sure of that as we speak all that has to be done is stop the pipeline before it gets to bc lol you think there going to be able to do something about that lmao stalll baby stalll lol

I have an ethical dilemna with the tar sands and the pipeline - on one hand there is a question of whether we should accept the environmental cost of this development. on the other hand there is a question of whether it is just or ethical to hoard our natural endowments. With so many in the world who do not enjoy our quality of life, is it ethical for us to continue to live the way we do and tell them that they can’t enjoy the same quality of life. So I am truly torn and for that reason I am still undecided on this project.