Election Results

[quote=“fingahz”]Question…

Nathan Cullen voted to support another $70 million injection into continued funding of the Gun Registry to try to help a Liberal minority government work despite that he told his constituents he would not support it.

Should Cullen now vote in favour of scrapping the Gun Registry in order to help a minority Conservative government work???[/quote]

That depends… will the Conservatives need his help in passing said legislation, and in return, budget increases for social spending? If so, then yes. He should vote as you said.

I can’t believe you still keep bringing this up.

Yes, he flip-flopped on a campaign promise. Yes, he acted autonomously. However, I think that he made the right decision. Apparently, so do other people. That could explain why he was re-elected?

In other news, I can’t recall what the exact figure was, but it seems to me that the total nationwide was something like:

Reform: 130
Liberal: 105
Bloc: 50
NDP: 30

Now, without actually looking it up (as you all know, 78% of us can make statistics up on the fly), this seems to be a much more spread out, multi-partisan affair than in years gone by. That’s a good thing, right?

I posted something but then FireFox randomly closed itself and I forgot what I wrote so here are some photos from when everyone came to see me at the Kiva and then Cullen and Layton showed up to see me too.

http://www.outspokenbike.com/random/bad_timing.jpg
Cullen was surprised to see me.

http://www.outspokenbike.com/random/layton_intro.jpg
Layton was even more surprised to see me, we usually just chatted on MSN so this was the first time we met for real.

http://www.outspokenbike.com/random/layton_intro2.jpg
This was just when he got shy and turned away.

http://www.outspokenbike.com/random/cullen_layton.jpg
Cullen and Layton fooling around on the stage the people put up for me to stand on, my security guard (see left) was getting kind of worried when Layton brought those funky lime-green signs and put them up there because the press was there and the guard didn’t want them to get confused and draw attention away from me.

That is all.

But for real, Conservatives = :frowning:

Nathan Cullen voted to support another $70 million injection into continued funding of the Gun Registry to try to help a Liberal minority government work despite that he told his constituents he would not support it.

Should Cullen now vote in favour of scrapping the Gun Registry in order to help a minority Conservative government work???[/quote]

Okay, you’re being a typical Conservative/Republican by twisting the truth and then repeating, ad nauseam, your talking point because you have nothing else remotely valid.
The truth is that Cullen changed his vote on the gun registry NOT to support the Liberal minority but to gain some concessions in exchange that he felt were more important than fighting the gun registry, such as enhancing social programs and not giving huge tax breaks to corporations.

It’s like if you were in favor of the decriminalization of marijuana bill but the government told you, that if you dropped that issue, they would give single moms cheaper day care (which, say, you felt very strong about). It’s all about choosing your battles. In this case, Cullen dropped the gun registry thing which, let’s face it, means very little to most people except rednecks.

“Boo hoo. I have to register my gun” versus better social programs and less breaks for corporations. Tough choice.

I hear that Nathan Cullen is in favour of car registration? Is this true?

Why is it that no one will answer my question??? You keep trying to slam me with this negativity and are not answering what I asked.

[quote]
The truth is that Cullen changed his vote on the gun registry NOT to support the Liberal minority but to gain some concessions in exchange that he felt were more important than fighting the gun registry, such as enhancing social programs and not giving huge tax breaks to corporations. [/quote]

Actually I spoke with Cullen after the vote and although part of the purpose in supporting the additional funding was a deal with concessions he also mentioned that part of it was to make parliament work with a minority gov’t. He stated that he did not want to force an election. He’s elected and I’m not upset about it. Now will someone answer my question???

[quote=“Eso”]

That depends… will the Conservatives need his help in passing said legislation, and in return, budget increases for social spending? If so, then yes. He should vote as you said.[/quote]

I thought I did?

Fingahz: In all honesty, it appears that each side to this argument is stuck on a particular point.

My point: Is that, the budget that he voted in favour of, was in our best interests, despite it continuing the gun registry.

Your point: An elected representative acted clearly and decisively in contradiction of a campaign promise.

Both points are true, as far as I know. I think that we have to “agree to disagree”, as I find the first point there more important, whereas you appear to feel more strongly about the latter.

who among you think there will be an election again soon… :open_mouth: say in the next year ?

Oh my God!! Say it wasn’t so! A politician went against something he said he would do!

I defy you, Fingahz, to find me one politician who hasn’t done that, along with a unicorn, and the irrefutable answer to how the universe was created.

If we didn’t vote for someone because he flip-flopped on ONE issue, we wouldn’t vote at all.

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]Here are the final National Voting results.

1.) Conservatives - 123 Seats
2.) Liberals - 103 Seats
3.) Bloc - 51 Seats
4.) NDP - 29 Seats (including Skeena-Bulkley Valley)
5.) Other - 1 Seat (elected in Quebec as independent)

14.8 Million people cast votes this election, 22.8 Million were registered to vote.

Here are the final Riding results for Skeena-Bulkley Valley!

1.) Nathan Cullen (NDP) - 18596 Votes (48.5%)
2.) Mike Scott (CON) - 12630 Votes (32.9%)
3.) Gordon Stamp-Vincent (LIB) - 4845 Votes (12.6%)
4.) Rod Taylor (CHP) - 1243 Votes (3.2%)
5.) Phil Brienesse (GRN) - 1066 Votes (2.8%)

38380 People cast votes. That is 64.1% of total registered voters in this are, which is only slightly down from the national average if 64.9%[/quote]

Those arent the final results by the way… those are the preliminary results… final results won’t be released for another 2 weeks or so.

The Conservatives have a good spread of MPs from one ocean to the other: 17 in BC, 28 in Alberta, 20 in Sask/Man, 40 in Ontario, 10 in Quebec and 9 in Atlantic Canada. Hopefully, there’s enough of them that remember what the real conservative party is about to balance the reform/alliance people and to ensure that nothing drastic will be done to some fundamentally canadian institutions. If Harper can manage that, this might be the longest running minority government ever. And, despite my views of the conservatives, I sure hope this government lasts long because their work isn’t to run campaigns but to do things for the country.

Yep. I didn’t vote Tory because I think there are still too many redneck Reformers who haven’t changed but, if they stick to their platform and are indeed moderate and centrist, they might do a good job. Thank God, it’s a minority gov’t because we all saw what the B.C. Liberals (who have more in common with the Conservatives than the fed Liberals) did when they were handed a blank cheque!

As for Mike Scott - who were these people that actually thought he was going to win?? I can see wanting him to win but actually believing he was going to?? You must live in a bubble! He was way too combative and old school; not to mention those “Re-Elect” signs, which I think turned a lot of people off because they were arrogant, tacky and insulting.