Election Nonsense

I figure most of the town know what Herbie looks like after at least eight years of seeing his mug in one of the papers or having to put up with his phoney smile at some function, now we are not able to turn a corner and there he is still being a pain. Please give us a break and get ready to address some real questions concerning this community and area. You never really did or care much about some or many of these issues when you were in your seat. Stop trying to be a Gordo give us a break.

well i guess we know where your vote doesnt lie  :smiley:

I just get ill too when I see Herbs Mug all over town… Herb is a fake and phony… I hope once this is over he takes himself out of the spot light

Signs are a tradition of elections.

How much influence might they have on a voter? 

If you haven’t made up your mind and you see a sign on a neighbour’s lawn, depending on your opinion of the neighbour, you might be swayed.

But if we see a sign in a vacant building or along the highway do we think “I am voting for that guy.  He has the most and the best signs.”  I know all parties have to do it to keep up but it seems like an awful waste of time and resources to plaster public areas.

The best one is “hey! that vacant building is voting for candidate X.  Maybe I should too.  I respect the opinion of vacant buildings!”

I know that signs can be placed on city property; but would like to know what the City has to say about campaign signs being attached to street sign posts and ‘use the crosswalk’ barriers.  The Election Act states they cannot be attached to highways signs.  I called the Election BC office on Friday and they said municipalities have bylaws covering sign placement.  I called City Hall to enquire what bylaw said, person on phone didn’t know and said Bob Thompson was out of town and would call me today…still waiting.

I don’t remember seeing signs attached to street sign posts in the recent Federal or Municipal campaigns.  If any of the candidates in those campaigns are looking in, perhaps they could comment if they were allowed to post on sign posts.

I’ve been driving for a few decades and find it distracting and would hope it does not become a safety issue for inexperienced drivers…there are several posted near CHSS.

I like all the Liberal signs around the Hospital, the schools and the seniors residence on fifth avenue, cause hey the Liberals have done so much for those sectors.  :imp:

Well I wish to see this rule be acted on for Pond or any other who may break the rules. It really is an eye sore. But if it is a law act on it please, Campbell can drive drunk and now his wanna be Hench man wants to break rules on his own again. Herb did you not do enough when you bent the rules in council and signed contracts? Mr. when I was mayor crap.

Yah Herb’s camp has been hard at work no doubt, easy to see they had a bit more funding to put toward signage for sure, big surprise there. Hope they are as diligent in removing all those signs and disposing of them properly after he loses. LOL

Yes after he looses… I can’t believe anyone could vote for him…

His “MACHINE” has managed to get a bunch of politically naieve young people to pose with him in his smiley pictures,but by election day, will they be voting for him???

Hydro has rules regarding safety. Do not post on their poles.

It would be tacky to place them on city light poles also.

yeah it sickness me using the navieve like that…
Oh well I still think there are enough of us who see through the bs

He can dump them on the once was Inlander with the rest of the rubbish and maybe, should this council ever manage to have that removed, he will once and for all, be where he belongs… :unamused:  Hey, did you notice that someone made off with the toilet that had been sitting there ?  It WAS the only “Johnny on the Spot” in the west end… :smiley:  Just sayin’, I know it is totally irrelevant to this topic…

Personally, I think the signs are an irritating, but traditional part of the game.  I have mine on my lawn because it represents an unequivocal statement of where I stand, and I can think of no better time to express it.  I hope it also stops the drones from the other side from phoning when my kid is napping.  To all the partisans out there:  if you know who you support, phone the campaign office of your choice, and add to the cacophany.  It couldn’t get any worse anyway, and at least you spoke up publicly.

The other subplot, over the pictures of underage non-voters making happy with one of the candidates, is more distasteful.  I trust that the average witness to this can make an appropriate judgement.  I find it odd that the Pond campaign hasn’t recognized what an ethical liability this is. 

We’ll never know, but I wonder how many votes changed (either way) because of those photos?

Someone said a while back “A pond is nice to look at but they are always shallow” I remember when Bill was the MLA in Victoria, just a Red headed guy in the back. Please let us not see this loud mouth with the Illinois’ Ex Governor Hair piece. Get a real job for a change.

In all fairness, the same would have to be said about Gary Coons. Shouldn’t he get a real job for a change?

[quote=“teacher”]
The other subplot, over the pictures of underage non-voters making happy with one of the candidates, is more distasteful.  I trust that the average witness to this can make an appropriate judgement.  I find it odd that the Pond campaign hasn’t recognized what an ethical liability this is.[/quote]

Is the Student Vote (if that’s what it’s called?) distasteful? Is having an all candidates debate at PRSS during school hours distasteful? Or are young people who are ineligible to vote allowed to be part of the election for pretend, but not actually have any involvement in the real thing?

[quote=“bobo”]
His “MACHINE” has managed to get a bunch of politically naieve young people to pose with him in his smiley pictures,but by election day, will they be voting for him?Huh??[/quote]

[quote=“rupertguy”]yeah it sickness me using the navieve like that…
Oh well I still think there are enough of us who see through the bs[/quote]

I don’t think they’re as naive as some might think.

Is it not true that Gary was a highly respected secondary school teacher and also did he not manage to hold down every job he ever had ?  Should we scan the employment record of his opponent ?  Interesting reading for your bathroom break… :unamused:

I’ve talked to a few of them, and you might be surprised how politically uneducated they actually are.  However, It’s their right.

That does sound like Pond and the rest of the Liberal, " No involvement in the real thing".