Earth Quake

And don’t go sending us any of your tsunamis–we get enough of our own as it is, thank you very much!

I heard there was a sunami planned for today. Any one else hear that?

The tsunami warning has been lifted for the North Coast.

What time is it going to be? I hope they wait until after Church so I can get to see it.

eard there was a sunami planned for today. Any one else hear that?

The tsunami warning has been lifted for the North Coast.

Yes please when are they lifting the waves?

“words”, you’re a horrible comedian.

I heard that beach and water street were evacuated last night for the tsunami alert and was wondering why not the lower ends of graham, atlin and 2nd ave? If a large tsunami did occur I think Morse Creek pond would fill up and rip out the lower ends of these streets when emptying .

I think for the most part the Emergency Response Plans in Place worked great EXCEPT there appears to be no early warning system Used to be an air raid siren years ago that would sound. Not everyone has a computer or a cell phone. Not much info on the radio of Chanel 7 news? Otherwise kudos to the PR Port Authority and the Emergency Response teams for taking things well under control. PR Grain, RT, MAHER Terminals , all store front and residences within 75 feet of the water were evacuated without incident. Now make sure you have your emergency to go kit ready along with an out of province family check in number and copies of all your important papers. You need to be ready for the big one. Another 6.4 on Sandspit just reported!!

The last big one was an 8.1 back in 1949.

There have been almost 50 good sized aftershocks so far. And the day ain’t over.

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/ … es_all.php

x

The end is near - 2012

From a friend’s facebook page: Earthquake damage in Terrace

I was watching the water from Atlin Ave and I didn’t see a need to evacuate our area. Pretty high up here

You need to be 75 feet away from the water’s edge … not sure if Atlin is that … but probably. Better safe than sorry

Is it 75 feet away from the waters edge or 75 feet above sea level? If it is 75 feet away
from the edge, why was Water Street evacuated? 75 feet above sea level seems
more realistic and even that seems high. Some expert knowledge needed.

97B I just checked the Provincial Emergency Program Website it says:

You should proceed on foot, especially if there has been a strong local earthquake. Damaged roads and bridges and debris caused by the earthquake may prevent driving.

To be safe you should go to ground that is at least 15 metres above sea level. Even though waves should not exceed 8 metres, they are often forced to “run up” to higher ground by the pressure of following waves.

Communities may have this sign designating evacuation routes for the fastest and safest way to travel from areas that are expected to be flooded. If there no evacuation route signed, take a route that avoids tidal flats, the shores of coastal rivers, and bay areas.
Above sea level …

97B I just checked the Provincial Emergency Program Website it says:

You should proceed on foot, especially if there has been a strong local earthquake. Damaged roads and bridges and debris caused by the earthquake may prevent driving.

To be safe you should go to ground that is at least 15 metres above sea level. Even though waves should not exceed 8 metres, they are often forced to “run up” to higher ground by the pressure of following waves.

Communities may have this sign designating evacuation routes for the fastest and safest way to travel from areas that are expected to be flooded. If there no evacuation route signed, take a route that avoids tidal flats, the shores of coastal rivers, and bay areas.
Above sea level …

So it’s over. Now I get to go back to bitching about the fucking freezing cold and snow that won’t fucking stop. Can’t finish anything, start anything. fix anything for 8 goddam months.
Talked to sister in Abby. It’s was fucking 22 degrees warmer there, the difference between inside my fridge and room temperature is never that much.

[quote=“Soggy”]

It was felt as far inland as Prince George and set lamps and curtains swaying.[/quote]

Curiously, reports from PG had the lamps and curtains swaying much more than in PR. Seems the frequency of the quake was longer the further away from the epicentre.

Just a question and a concern ! Why did it take Canada almost 45 minutes to issue a Tsunami warning after the US agencies sounded theirs? And what the hell would we do should another quake happen and a possible Tsunami? One road in and out, boats couldn’t help us and planes? Well, our airport is on an island ! And the BC agency advises us to protect ourselves, if we feel the earth move, we should get underneath a table or a bed and if a Tsunami warning is issued, get to higher ground! My fella and I and many others in town didn’t feel anything and if it weren’t for checking this site, wouldn’t even have been aware of it! This is a concern, should we not dust off the old siren and get it into gear, even Tofino sounded theirs, a pop. of 500 people! I think we have to be more prepared and be advised should anything ever happen again. We live day to day not thinking anything could happen, any day now could be a disaster. Living here and in other coastal towns, we are sitting ducks! Are we prepared?

Erm you have a mountain go up there if theres a tsunami… But it is pathetic how long it took to notify us. as for transportation there is a ferry and are various aircraft that do not require an airport to land… you better buy yourself 40 gallons of milk to be sure though