Eagle's BLuff

there’s lot’s of room for those eagle’s… we need more stores.

I might be wrong but isnt there some old WWII remnants up on the bluff? Could it be saved as a historic site where the old emplacments are… Even if there’s nothing more then some old barbwire and crumbling cement foundations? Just a thought.

Hicks

We don’t need any more stores… we can’t keep the ones in business we already have! Damn Wal-Mart!

All we want is to see the city follow through - they promised to use what is left of that bluff for a little park area, as stated in the Cow Bay Development Plan - so why wouldn’t they zone it as a park? It seems to me like they want the back door open just in case they get a good enough offer.

Is it nice up there or something? I don’t get it. It doesn’t look like it would make for a very nice park without cutting a few trees down.

Please explain for those of us less socially conscious.

Why would cutting down trees make it better? Why does it need improvement anyway? The important thing is that it simply exists. Some kind of path AROUND the trees, like the one along Hays Creek, would be good, but cutting them down for aethetic reasons is excessive.

Granted we need more stores in town but there are so many empty and for sale buildings around downtown that could be filled up first. The visitors that come to our town would probably stick around cowbay if it got more stores stering the traffic away from the downtown core. Let’s fill up the empty buildings first and then develop more.

Most tourists that come to Rupert off of a cruise ship, are VERY TIRED of stepping into tourist traps like Cow Bay. They are more interested in seeing the real parts of the city, and not the magnets, postcards, and t-shirts they see at every stop they make.

The downtown core of the city would see tons more visitors if there was ample transportation like the busses they have used, and not money grubbing US-dollars-only cab drivers.

Its because the hering are running down the river which draws TONS of seagulls and Eagles and Crows, Due to the mass amounts of fish they can eat.

prove it.
i worked with cruise ship dudes last summer.
they are a bunch of dummies. they want the magnets, postcards… and fuck yes they want our t-shirts.

what are you basing your experience on ?

[quote=“Charles_T”]What’s the dealy?

I done did upload with the Wizord twice (same picture on account of it didn’t work the first time) but it still done hasn’t uploaded?

Wierd…

The photo was called bluff.bmp if it means sompin’…[/quote]

doesnt like .bmp?

[quote=“molten universe”]

prove it.
i worked with cruise ship dudes last summer.
they are a bunch of dummies. they want the magnets, postcards… and fuck yes they want our t-shirts.

what are you basing your experience on ?[/quote]

I’m basing my experience on talking to every single person that walked into the store I work at. They were sick and tired of being herded like cattle into the little tourist traps like Cow Bay, and they wanted to see what else was out there, not just the same crap with a different place name that they see at every stop.

A lot of them were looking for things you can get anywhere, but not the touristy things… I mean things like food, clothing, shoes, and makeup. They were also looking for local jewelery, so the carved silver and gold pieces sold very well to cruise ship passengers.

Calling tourists dummies is lovely. May you NOT work with them again this summer.

Yea. So they were broadening their retail horizons at Bata?

From working at the Visitor Info Centre, I got mixed feelings with tourists.

Some were just complete dunderheads that wanted to know what everything cost in American money and where the tours/charters were.

Then there were the ones who came for the real Prince Rupert and would appreciate the unique things about it like Eagles Bluff. Some would come asking specifically for the Bluff and where they could watch for eagles.

I also worked at Bata. The cruise ship passangers that were able to make it up there were usually pretty interesting.

[quote=“molten universe”]

Yea. So they were broadening their retail horizons at Bata?[/quote]

Is Athletes World a tourist trap? Is it in Cow Bay? Is the mall the same thing they will encounter at every stop they make? NO! Usually the places the ships stop at are the size of Cow Bay, and that’s it, full of tourist crap and nothing else. THe people are glad they can get out and walk around, take a bus or train tour, go whale watching or fishing, or see the local wildlife.

My point is… you called the tourists dumb, and said they only want touristy things, and to do touristy stuff. That’s not the case for all of them.

Yes, especially the rapper wannabe’s that danced around the store every week and hit on us.

[quote=“timbits”]

Its because the hering are running down the river which draws TONS of seagulls and Eagles and Crows, Due to the mass amounts of fish they can eat.[/quote]

Isn’t the fish oolichan? Unless Timbits is sending us on a red herring?

Nope the hearing is running through there right now :stuck_out_tongue:

Tell that to the two fishermen pulling oolichan out of the river this morning. Definitely not herring they were scooping up.

This guy was after oolichan out on the Skeena today:

http://rupertpics.com/forum/files/thumbs/t_wet_eagle4_129.jpg

And so were these guys:

http://photos5.flickr.com/5966152_1bafcaa178.jpg

They’re really different looking. I’m fairly certain herring spawn on kelp, not in or up the Skeena. Oolichans (Eulachons/Candlefish) do though.

As always, Google<3HTMF!

If you want to know about Eulachons and where and when they spawn, this link is good. Compliments of FOC :smile:

EULACHON(candlefish)

http://www.nanakila.ca/oolichan/ecs/description.jpg

HERRING

http://facstaffwebs.umes.edu/rjesien/Research/Blieback%20herring.jpg