Dromocrats

thetyee.ca/Opinion/2014/03/01/Dr … -Takeover/

You can read the above article if you are interested, but I only linked it for a word/definition that I am wondering how many of us think represents their feelings.

We elect a government - most often with about 40% popular support - and give them four years of pretty much absolute power - often confined to the Prime Minister’s or Premier’s office.

They can disrespect parliament, stretch the truth about budgets, break the law, outright lie about what they will do after being elected, be involved in scandals emanating from the PMO and, for the most part nothing can be done except for a few rantings from the opposition. Even the government caucus is essentially powerless.

And governments don’t seem to be overly concerned about consequences because what are the alternatives. Dix? Trudeau?

Looking back, the HST referendum was a great thing. Not necessarily for its outcome (I still don’t know if the tax is a good one or not) but for the idea that a government can be held accountable and the people can be swayed into non-violent action.

I like that definition, DWhite. :smile:
At the moment I do feel quite jaded about Provincial and Federal politics. My membership with the NDP lapsed in February. I no longer want to be a member of a political party. I am not particularly happy with Rice or Cullen. I cannot vote for Clark or Harper. This is an odd place to be.

Seems that the world conspiracy of ?????? ?????? ?????? (edited for your protection) has decided we peons must all think about Democracy this week. The Economist has an article too!

economist.com/news/essays/21 … -can-be-do