DRLs?

Every time I head out west, I notice a huge number of vehicles coming at me out of the blowing snow, pissing rain, or setting sun that have NO DAMN HEADLIGHTS!!!
All vehicles 1991 or newer licensed in Canada have to have daytime running lights, even my little Minicab had to have the lights modded to get road licensed here. There just aren’t very many 20 year old vehicles on the road anymore, even the old 4x4s are mainly rusted out gas hogs we wouldn’t cruise down the highway with.
Coming off the ferry? Do you guys get that many Americans landing there you actually notice them? Any real economic benefit to Rupert or do they just roll off and go?
Thought it might be a good idea for ICBC to print up a bunch of “turn your lights on when you turn your car on in Canada, our roads are scary” pamphlets to put in the ferry.

I notice a lot of American plates at WalMart & Canadian Tire in Terrace. Some of 'em must be coming or going from Rupert, or the Alaska highway

This year I’ve seen 5 or 6 European plates too, presumably on cross-North-American adventures.

Saw an interesting MAN off-road truck with a map of Africa painted on it for sale in the Safeway parking lot in Terrace in the spring. And a few European plated Delicas cruising the roads around here.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]Every time I head out west, I notice a huge number of vehicles coming at me out of the blowing snow, pissing rain, or setting sun that have NO DAMN HEADLIGHTS!!!
All vehicles 1991 or newer licensed in Canada have to have daytime running lights, even my little Minicab had to have the lights modded to get road licensed here. There just aren’t very many 20 year old vehicles on the road anymore, even the old 4x4s are mainly rusted out gas hogs we wouldn’t cruise down the highway with.
Coming off the ferry? Do you guys get that many Americans landing there you actually notice them? Any real economic benefit to Rupert or do they just roll off and go?
Thought it might be a good idea for ICBC to print up a bunch of “turn your lights on when you turn your car on in Canada, our roads are scary” pamphlets to put in the ferry.[/quote]

They should make up stickers STAY THE FUCK OUT OF THE LEFT HAND LANE IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE SLOW!!!

and another, USE YOUR FUCKING SIGNAL LIGHTS!!!

You have a left hand lane?
My rant is the fuckers that move to the right where there’s a passing lane and speed up to 125 kmh. And then think they have the right of way when the lane ends.
Most other drivers don’t have an innocent looking soccer-mom SUV with 275 hp, a finger to flip and enuff guts to hammer it up to 160 to pass them.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]You have a left hand lane?
My rant is the fuckers that move to the right where there’s a passing lane and speed up to 125 kmh. And then think they have the right of way when the lane ends.
Most other drivers don’t have an innocent looking soccer-mom SUV with 275 hp, a finger to flip and enuff guts to hammer it up to 160 to pass them.[/quote]

People who use the right lane as their passing lane i love that too, i just sit in there and make it so they can’t pass.

My beef also is when there is road contraction there are signs telling you to be in a certain lane, then there are the fuckers that say in the opposite lane rush to the very front then start merging in so they can by pass all the traffic. I NEVER LET THEM IN… Screw them…

[quote=“jase”]

People who use the right lane as their passing lane i love that too, i just sit in there and make it so they can’t pass.

My beef also is when there is road contraction there are signs telling you to be in a certain lane, then there are the fuckers that say in the opposite lane rush to the very front then start merging in so they can by pass all the traffic. I NEVER LET THEM IN… Screw them…[/quote]

then you drive like a dick and are the cause of traffic delays. you are supposed to merge in at the end and people are supposed to let you merge in. if people like you would follow the rules delays would be minimal.

ps. Keep right except to pass. if you are going slow in the left lane you’re a dick and people will pass you on the right. oh and if you’re going to pass, then pass don’t do 5km/hr more than the guy you’re passing. that shit drives me insane.

[quote=“MEMEPOSTER5000”]

20 meters. at least thats the answer i hoped my wife would have given the dr to that poorly worded question. maybe next time.

Just passed some moron doing 80 by the lake with no running lights, bc plates. It was a newer ford maybe it just broke? haha.

FYI
Headlights/daytime running lights do not have to be on all the time. It simply can be the marker lights which qualify to be a law abiding citizen, but if the vehicle has DDRL and you bypass, pull the fuse or some way make them inoperable then that is against the law and carries a nice fine if caught. On another note, if you import a vehicle from the US it requires you to have either DDRL or marker lights and to do this it is a $99 relay to hook up where it illuminates either the headlights/running lights or marker lights. There are a number of new vehicles 2009 and newer that are sold from Ford, Chev, or Dodge dealerships that simply have only marker lights on all the time.

Did the drivers of those vehicles have their marker lights on or was there no lights illuminated on the vehicle at all?

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]You have a left hand lane?
Most other drivers don’t have an innocent looking soccer-mom SUV with 275 hp, a finger to flip and enuff guts to hammer it up to 160 to pass them.[/quote]

If you must know the person in the right hand lane does have the right a way when merging back into the normal lane of traffic. If the person overtaking/passing the slower vehicles does not have enough distance to complete the pass then they shouldn’t be passing in the first place.

If you don’t believe me then look at this from the Highway Safety Act:
Passing on left
159 A driver of a vehicle must not drive to the left side of the roadway in overtaking and passing another vehicle unless the driver can do so in safety.

Yes it can be debated the person in the right lane sped up(which they are not supposed to do), but it is essentially the driver of the left hand lane forcing the driver on the right off the road and the end of the passing lane…

Food for thought…

[quote=“fishin for life”]

a left hand lane?
Most other drivers don’t have an innocent looking soccer-mom SUV with 275 hp, a finger to flip and enuff guts to hammer it up to 160 to pass them.

If you must know the person in the right hand lane does have the right a way when merging back into the normal lane of traffic.

.[/quote]

That is not correct. The right lane ends and the car in the right lane must merge. Also, there are circumstances where passing in the right lane is permitted.

Yeah, see the sign at the where the two lanes end? It says right hand lane ends, that means YOU have to merge.
Point #2 - you don’t merge by using your fucking brakes. Another way to spot a shitty driver.

[quote=“fishin for life”]FYI
Headlights/daytime running lights do not have to be on all the time. It simply can be the marker lights which qualify to be a law abiding citizen, but if the vehicle has DDRL and you bypass, pull the fuse or some way make them inoperable then that is against the law and carries a nice fine if caught. On another note, if you import a vehicle from the US it requires you to have either DDRL or marker lights and to do this it is a $99 relay to hook up where it illuminates either the headlights/running lights or marker lights. There are a number of new vehicles 2009 and newer that are sold from Ford, Chev, or Dodge dealerships that simply have only marker lights on all the time.

Did the drivers of those vehicles have their marker lights on or was there no lights illuminated on the vehicle at all?[/quote]

No markers no headlight, was also a dark coloured truck the first thing I saw light up was the license plate. I also came across a civic last night, same thing.

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“jase”]

My beef also is when there is road contraction there are signs telling you to be in a certain lane, then there are the fuckers that say in the opposite lane rush to the very front then start merging in so they can by pass all the traffic. I NEVER LET THEM IN… Screw them…[/quote]

then you drive like a dick and are the cause of traffic delays. you are supposed to merge in at the end and people are supposed to let you merge in. if people like you would follow the rules delays would be minimal.

ps. Keep right except to pass. if you are going slow in the left lane you’re a dick and people will pass you on the right. oh and if you’re going to pass, then pass don’t do 5km/hr more than the guy you’re passing. that shit drives me insane.[/quote]

WRONG! you are suppose to move to the directed lane from the posted sign to allow plenty of time to be in the right lane. NOT MERGE IN at the last second and by pass all the people that have been waiting. Just because you rush to the front doesn’t mean you get in and by pass all the waiting people…

That’s the great thing about HTMF. Everyone is an expert because they see something that they want to see and can’t see the big picture.

I truly hope no gets injured and specifically killed in a accident because someone is to big of an a$$hole to allow the person on the right to merge. I can assure you because of past enforcement charges (against me) and convicted in a trial the left lane driver could not perform the pass safely and such the driver on right was given the chance to merge. That day I learnt a lot about the all the driving rules and that one small part of the rules of the road does not give you or anyone the right-a-way because one page of a manual says it is so. I have also seen a few passing lanes lately the have the single broken white line (OK to pass)in last 50-100 meters change to a single solid white line so that the (you know who) the person who is always in a rush should not be passing in the first part. This allows the driver on the right to MERGE safely at highway speed.

I am not going to qualify anything to anyone. I have been a professional driver for 30 years and that was the only charge and conviction I have to be ashamed of. I know those people on the road that at the end of the passing they want to get in front so the pound on the gas and travel at 130+ to pass the slower moving vehicle on the right causing the driver on the right to either having to lock up the brakes or speed up to 125k/hr as one HTMF user stated to actually try and merge safely. So indirectly the left passing vehicle is causing the issues. It was based on the (quote from the Judge) TOTALITY of the situation not just one simple thing.

Rest assured you will not do this to me because if you try your probably going to bounce off and hit the cliff on one side or the river on the other. But before I let that happen I will offer you courtesy (something that is rarely seen in people these days) because I don’t want to see anyone get hurt or killed. This way I will be able to look in the mirror everyday, and I know I will do the right thing. Don’t ever let emotions help you make a decision, you will truly suffer in the end one way or the other.

Enjoy your day, treat people how you want to be treated, respect other peoples opinion and don’t sweat the small stuff.

Whomever put the joke on HTMF on another topic, Thank you I had a real good laugh…

[quote=“jase”]

[quote=“jesus”]

ps. Keep right except to pass. if you are going slow in the left lane you’re a dick and people will pass you on the right. oh and if you’re going to pass, then pass don’t do 5km/hr more than the guy you’re passing. that shit drives me insane.

WRONG! you are suppose to move to the directed lane from the posted sign to allow plenty of time to be in the right lane. NOT MERGE IN at the last second and by pass all the people that have been waiting. Just because you rush to the front doesn’t mean you get in and by pass all the waiting people…[/quote]

Wise men do not take the advice of fools. You continue in your lane until you are able to merge safely, ideally traffic with alternate at the end of the merge with one car from each lane but people are assholes…

you do not stop and merge immediately upon seeing the sign stating the lane ends ahead that is the reason there is such a long merge lane. Idiots who block people from merging because they are “assholes that are just trying to rush past them” are in fact assholes themselves and are the ones causing the traffic delays. When merging into traffic say from the right lane to the left in vancouver there is a long merge lane which has the dashed white lines AT THE END for you to merge in and other drivers are supposed to not be dickheads and let you in.

Way to dredge up an old dead post though :wink:

Amen Jesus…