Downtown = Eyesore & Embarrassment

When is the downtown community going to CLEAN UP their buildings? It is becoming out of control. There is green/brown/black mould everywhere, moss all over the place, paint peeling off, rust, vegetation growing all over the place…it has become a MASSIVE embarrassment for this city…and its time for council to do something about it.

I understand its hard-times for the downtown business community, but enough is enough…its time for some of them to get off their butts and CLEAN! In many cases a hose, a brush and some soap is all that is needed.

Show some respect for your businesses and your fellow citizens.

The worst offenders are on 3rd Avenue: Cooks Jewellers, CIBC, City Furniture (Warehouse Building), Nisga’a Hall, JavaDotCup, Overwaitea Foods, DC Computer Repairs, New Moon, old Totem Bingo Hall (the absolute WORST offender)…the list goes ON AND ON.

Raffles Inn on 2nd Avenue West side, with the brown sludge all over their siding (what a nice thing for people coming in from the Airport to see).

I feel bad for the businesses that have kept their exterior at least half way decent. They are fighting a losing battle.

The city really needs to enact a bylaw to FINE these businesses for not keeping their buildings at the very least CLEAN.

These fines should then be used to beautify the downtown core.

This is more than just a downtown business owner problem. Have you looked at some of the residential neighborhoods in town? It’s a community wide issue and there needs to be more pride throughout town. To be fair, the weather here wreaks havoc on building exteriors. Still, a pressure washer and a coat of paint can make a big difference.

I am well aware that it is a city wide issue…but IMO the downtown core is what tourists, investors ect see when they come here…most are not off wandering around the residential neighbourhoods.

The downtown business community should be held to a higher standard in this regard, because they are the “face” of the city, because of their location. They are what people see, when they drive through to use the airport/ferries ect.

Why is it that Cow Bay does not look so derelict? The businesses in this shopping area have managed to keep their exteriors fairly respectable, despite the weather and economic hard times.

What gives for the downtown merchants?

The weather does wreck havoc…but a good “once a year clean” would certainly help…some look like they have been washed in 5-10 years.

It has more to do with complacency, lack of pride and a bit of laziness IMO.

[quote=“bthedog”] …it has become a MASSIVE embarrassment for this city…and its time for council to do something about it.

The city really needs to enact a bylaw to FINE these businesses for not keeping their buildings at the very least CLEAN.

These fines should then be used to beautify the downtown core.[/quote]

There is a bylaw. It is called Property Maintenance Bylaw 3297, 2010, and it provides for fines of up to $2000 per day. < princerupert.ca/images/edito … BL3297.pdf >.

After you have read it and become properly informed, file complaints with City Hall. Let us know how things turn out …

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“bthedog”] …it has become a MASSIVE embarrassment for this city…and its time for council to do something about it.

These fines should then be used to beautify the downtown core.[/quote]

There is a bylaw. It is called Property Maintenance Bylaw 3297, 2010, and it provides for fines of up to $2000 per day. < princerupert.ca/images/edito … BL3297.pdf >.

After you have read it and become properly informed, file complaints with City Hall. Let us know how things turn out …[/quote]

Thanks for the information…I will be filing a complaint.

That being said…should the city not be enforcing its own bylaws? Do things have to get so bad that we all have to complain before the city gets off their ass and does anything? With the way City Hall looks physically I guess I should not be too surprised.

Why even have the bylaw at all if it is not going to be enforced or used as way to beautify our city?

Shouldn’t the city be doing anything it can to attract businesses to the downtown core? Why would any new business want to locate themselves downtown with the way it looks down there.

This goes beyond 1 person filing a complaint…the city needs to start enforcing this bylaw and clean up the downtown core.

[quote=“bthedog”]I am well aware that it is a city wide issue…but IMO the downtown core is what tourists, investors ect see when they come here…most are not off wandering around the residential neighbourhoods.

The downtown business community should be held to a higher standard in this regard, because they are the “face” of the city, because of their location. They are what people see, when they drive through to use the airport/ferries ect.

Why is it that Cow Bay does not look so derelict? The businesses in this shopping area have managed to keep their exteriors fairly respectable, despite the weather and economic hard times.

What gives for the downtown merchants?[/quote]

Most of Cow Bay is Port owned for one. I feel bad for the downtown business owners to a certain extent. The “face” of the community is just trying to make a living. High taxes, Internet and out of town shopping make it hard for many if them to pay the bills. With that said, investing in their business by enhancing its appearance could certainly attract people in.

Well actually the "port"does NOT own Cow Bay,only Atlin terminal and the parking lot across from it.Glenn Saunders owns much of Cow Bay.

Not to split hairs but if I’m not mistaken the Port owns everything from Atlin Terminal to the Water Taxi. Point is that if one is wondering why the Cow Bay Area looks so much better than downtown it’s because…

1. You have Port money used to enhance area for cruise shop and tourist traffic.

2. The other major property owner, Glen Saunders who you touched on, has always been head and shoulders above the rest as it pertains to property esthectics. In fact, he was a major contributor to the painting project which saw volunteers paint the exteriors of down town businesses.

To be clear, I’m all for property owners cleaning up and better maintaining their properties. I can’t help to feel bad for them though as they are taxed up the wazoo and business in town just ain’t what it used to be.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

[quote=“bthedog”]I am well aware that it is a city wide issue…but IMO the downtown core is what tourists, investors ect see when they come here…most are not off wandering around the residential neighbourhoods.

What gives for the downtown merchants?[/quote]

Most of Cow Bay is Port owned for one. I feel bad for the downtown business owners to a certain extent. The “face” of the community is just trying to make a living. High taxes, Internet and out of town shopping make it hard for many if them to pay the bills. With that said, investing in their business by enhancing its appearance could certainly attract people in.[/quote]

Don’t get me wrong…I feel bad for downtown merchants as well…it is a harsh world for brick-mortar type stores…however…that still does not excuse keeping their buildings at the very least CLEAN.

Many could do it themselves or hire someone for CHEAP (the local window washers are incredibly cheap, under $150 bucks a day). There is just no excuse for letting your building get THAT dirty as some have.

And there is no one that can convince me that places like City Furniture, Cooks Jewellers, CIBC, Overwaitea Foods cannot afford to clean their buildings…thats absolute bullshit!

It is too bad the Ministry does not require those on assistance to work a few hours monthly to qualify for benefits. It could be a win-win all around for those who would want to work, of course! Especially those who have been sitting on the system for years and years. I remember when I used to manage the food bank, we had a day job bank for a time, for employers to come in and hire workers for a few hours, the pay was good, anywhere from $10 and up and no one took advantage of it, ever. We eventually abolished that. It is sad when someone tells you they are worth more than $10 hourly. I wonder if they ever work out what they actually earn sitting collecting assistance based on a 40 hour work week pay scale. Very sad indeed. A few hours monthly and I would assume somehow that would be a violation of human rights, right? This has worked in other provinces, why not here? Think of it as volunteering, good for the person and one of the greatest benefits to a resume!

Everyone should be happy any business stayed in this town during the economic horror period that followed the mill shutdown.

Our time will come again, and when it does, I am sure the downtown core will complete maintenance on the businesses. Until then, you’re asking people to take food out of their children’s mouths, out of their pocket to please your eyes.

People who stayed in Rupert, especially the hard hit economic core, the businesses, should not be punished twice for staying here. File a complaint? Rather pathetic and sad if you ask me.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”] Until then, you’re asking people to take food out of their children’s mouths, out of their pocket to please your eyes.

[/quote]

To keep their building clean? Give me a break.

To keep their building clean? Give me a break.[/quote]

I agree Crazy Horse…these business’s can afford to maintain the exterior of their buildings. You wouldn’t be taking food out of their children’s mouths.

If and when a new business wants to come into town why would they want to open on 3rd ave when these empty buildings haven’t been properly maintained.

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Everyone should be happy any business stayed in this town during the economic horror period that followed the mill shutdown.

Our time will come again, and when it does, I am sure the downtown core will complete maintenance on the businesses. Until then, you’re asking people to take food out of their children’s mouths, out of their pocket to please your eyes.

People who stayed in Rupert, especially the hard hit economic core, the businesses, should not be punished twice for staying here. File a complaint? Rather pathetic and sad if you ask me.[/quote]

well if the budget is that tight maybe the children should do a little work to help the family out and wash the god damned building for their parents. talk about hyperbole…

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“MeepMeepZoom”]Everyone should be happy any business stayed in this town during the economic horror period that followed the mill shutdown.

People who stayed in Rupert, especially the hard hit economic core, the businesses, should not be punished twice for staying here. File a complaint? Rather pathetic and sad if you ask me.[/quote]

well if the budget is that tight maybe the children should do a little work to help the family out and wash the god damned building for their parents. talk about hyperbole…[/quote]

That would be smart…:/. Send children up ladders to wash the siding. Good idea.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
well if the budget is that tight maybe the children should do a little work to help the family out and wash the god damned building for their parents. talk about hyperbole…[/quote]

That would be smart…:/. Send children up ladders to wash the siding. Good idea.
I am sure there are age appropriate cleaning jobs for children of school age. That said I was able to operate a ladder in my later elementary school years so depending on their age why the hell not.

Regardless of how you feel about the downtown core, keep in mind that tourist season is fast approaching and all those cruise ships can decide any year not to come back. Rather than bitching and chewing about the conditions, why not volunteer some time to help beautify those tired looking buildings. It only takes one person to start a movement. I’m currently living in another province but will return to PR in the next 5 years, but if I were living there now I would want to do something about the situation.

I laughed when I read this (sorry) “all those cruise ships”. We don’t get weekly cruise ships anymore and haven’t for a while, maybe 2 or 3 last year, I think maybe 5 this season. Things are looking up but probably not for a few more years. The committee for cruise ship visits have done a great job when one visits. There has been some improvements with murals on large wall spaces and some store fronts with colorful paint. 3rd Ave has a lot of vacant spots, which could be power washed and maybe painted.

[quote=“Gracies Mom”]

I laughed when I read this (sorry) “all those cruise ships”. We don’t get weekly cruise ships anymore and haven’t for a while, maybe 2 or 3 last year, I think maybe 5 this season. Things are looking up but probably not for a few more years. The committee for cruise ship visits have done a great job when one visits. There has been some improvements with murals on large wall spaces and some store fronts with colorful paint. 3rd Ave has a lot of vacant spots, which could be power washed and maybe painted.[/quote]

Oh the cruise ships thing cracked me up too… Rupert has had its time trying with cruise ships… lol tried many years ago and it did not work and tried in recent years and again it don’t work here.
It’s time to move on to other things… Down Town while not looking great the painting the past couple of years really helped… it is what it is and I can understand the lack funds in fixing up buildings but a little elbow grease and soap would work wonders, but it is what it is…