Downtown building owner upset with City over forced repairs

This is my sentiment as well. Had he maintained his building throughout the number of years he has owned it (you know, showed some appreciation for the property that he owns and respect for his business neighbours), perhaps it would not be costing him as much now that he is being forced to fix it up, however year after year after year this building has slowly rotted away to what it is at now.

GOOD on the city for forcing him to clean this up, this building is a PERFECT example of why this is a good law for the city to have!

It is time for commercial building owners to be taken to task over the sorry state of some of their buildings. This is the part of Prince Rupert that is seen by investors, tourists ect ect, it is a representation of the pride we have in this city, thus the owners of buildings in downtown core and cow bay district have an even bigger responsibility to this city than say local homeowners.

And while we are at it, I know this post will be met with the “but this economy is bad, no one has the money to fix their buildings” well all I have to say to that is perhaps making your storefront APPEALING will encourage people to visit your establishment or rent from you, thus increasing business FOR YOU. Why would ANYONE in their right mind rent this building in it’s current state? I know I certainly wouldn’t and I very seldom went into Home Hardware when it was in this location because the building was so gross and the inside was no better!

Often the state of the outside of the building will reflect the kind of treatment you may receive inside!

[quote=“bthedog”]

And while we are at it, I know this post will be met with the “but this economy is bad, no one has the money to fix their buildings” well all I have to say to that is perhaps making your storefront APPEALING will encourage people to visit your establishment or rent from you, thus increasing business FOR YOU. Why would ANYONE in their right mind rent this building in it’s current state? [/quote]

I essentially agree with what you say about the “the economy is bad” argument; it’s a bit lame. I also don’t think that owners who have let their buildings become rundown should get overly-generous tax breaks through revitalization bylaws.

I don’t have a problem with owners being exempted from higher taxes resulting from repairs and improvements, but only for two or three years. By then they should be getting more business or higher rents out of their buildings. I don’t think that other taxpayers should have to contribute up to 50% of the costs of the work (5% a year for up to 10 years), which was what was originally proposed. That goes too far in rewarding poor housekeeping.

But in view of the public concerns about run down premises, as expressed by you and others, shouldn’t these issues be discussed at the public council meetings, rather than excluding the public under the guise of a meeting about “personnel matters”, which is what has happened? Having these issues discussed in public may be embarrassing for some owners, but is that really a bad thing or should it even be a concern?

so the building is not a hazard to the public but is an eyesore and is being forced to clean up an eyesore what are we in China now? what if he decided to paint his building with polka dots, he would be fixing it up but would it still be an eyesore? can we say lawyers, if someone was to challenge this nuisance bylaw what are the odds of that person winning? also before the city orders building that are eyesores, ie needs painting, to be fixed maybe they should fix the streets and sidewalks first or can the citizens of Rupert issue orders for the city to fix those and if not pay to have them fixed and bill the city for the repairs?

I find it very frustrating that the city feeld the need to put so much resources into making the city “look” nice, for the tourists. I agree 100% that our civic infrastructure needs alot of work, it seems the tax payers are at least one step below, on the totem pole, than the tourists these days.
Too bad we can’t force the city into cleaning up Watson Island, spruce it up a little and maybe it can be rented out or sold.