Douglas Hofstadter

Has anyone read any books by Hofstadter? I’m continually finding books of mine that I stored at my parents and tonight I found two more “Godel, Escher, Back: An eternal golden braid” and “Metamagical Themas: Questing for the essence of mind and pattern” , both by Hofstadter. I’ve only ever read parts of them, but I think I should tackle one this summer. If anyone has read these books, post your thoughts about them.

Godel, Escher, Back: An eternal golden braid, just doing a search on that book title and getting a wiki link:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%F6del,_Escher,_Bach

Sounds like its quite philisophical and self searching. I dont usually read books like that. No wait, make that never read books like that.

I tend to read a lot of SF, some biographies, the occasional history book. I have always loved history. I find it facinating to read about past cultures, historical figures etc.

I visited the above link, thanks for posting it. One idea that Hofstadter had was to publish a book that contained nothing but reviews of itself.

More about this interesting topic can be found here:

http://www.reenigne.org/review.html

Godel, Escher, Bach: an eternal golden braid has been on my ‘want to read’ list for a while now.