Dos

A lot of people didnt like the whole dos to windows concept. Even when i had windows i still learned everything through dos. I never really learned how to copy or delete, make folders in windows till 95 came out.

:lol: dos -->> windows -->> monad interesting isnt it CLI -->> gui -->> CLI

maybe they should have done the CLI right the first time.

Over a decade later I still get that ‘ward off te evil eye’ gesture from ubergeeks if I want to put Gnome or KDE on a server…

Do you have a good reason for needing it or are you just not comfortable with the command line?

I really dont believe a server needs a gui which is why I would never use a windows server :wink:

Honestly the added security risks and overhead from running X on a server isnt worth it to me when I can just ssh and edit a config file.

The windows command line kinda sucks, and I understand why people avoid it.

But grab a bash shell and tab your way to victory.

I agree, I am interested to see how bad monad is I highly doubt it will come anywhere near bash’s functionality. Tab your way to victory is right

debian-administration.org/articles/316 :wink:

rm -dfr directoryname or right click and delete?
Shouldn’t have to rehash the point Mac made (allright they didn’t really but no one noticed the other guys) in 1985. You point at what you want to do and click. Or press with your finger.

I love how my spam mail tries to get around spam filtering now.

And I love how spammers think anyone’s not going to delete it instantly when they see gibberish like that in the subject line.

Phishing K. Nebulizer Tarmac gibbersih intantaneous polywog myalin antiphlogistine nucleotide

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]rm -dfr directoryname or right click and delete?
Shouldn’t have to rehash the point Mac made (allright they didn’t really but no one noticed the other guys) in 1985. You point at what you want to do and click. Or press with your finger.[/quote]

Sure look at it in that situation, with a gui you need to open the window scroll to the folder you want to delete right click delete. Now in the CLI

rm -rf /home/you/fol[tab]

which completes teh command to

rm -rf /home/you/foldername

seems faster to me :wink:

now say you want to create a folder move a config file into that folder then append a line to the bottom of that config file then start the application that uses the config file.

mkdir foldername && mv /pathto/config /newpath/ && echo asdf >> /newpath/config && application -c /newpath/config

or… GUI

right click create folder drag browse to the directory the file is in, look through and find the file (takes a long time in a directory with lots of files) move file to folder open config file…wait for your gui editor to load, scroll to the bottom add the line then start the app.

Seems like cli is more efficient to me

:smile:

You’re looking at it like a programmer. The point of the gui is for a USER to make the program transparent and the keyboard is to enter data.
EX: say you 're doing hosting. Do you want Granny Smith to have wheel access and a CLI or give her C-Panel?
Or even better, like to go on holiday for 3 weeks and not worry the temp has rewritten all your shit to work the way he wants? (and changed the root passwd and gone on holiday himself and left no contact info)

I’m actually playing Devil’s Advocate cuz 90% of the time I ssh from home…

But that’s for granny smith… you were originally saying that YOU like the GUI better, even for the server stuff.

If I gotta copy, move or delete a lot of folders/files in a directory, I like the GUI if you don’t know exactly which ones to operate on.

But if I know which files I’m after, tabbing is way faster. Especially when it’s nested deep in a jungle of directories.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]You’re looking at it like a programmer. The point of the gui is for a USER to make the program transparent and the keyboard is to enter data.
EX: say you 're doing hosting. Do you want Granny Smith to have wheel access and a CLI or give her C-Panel?
Or even better, like to go on holiday for 3 weeks and not worry the temp has rewritten all your shit to work the way he wants? (and changed the root passwd and gone on holiday himself and left no contact info)

I’m actually playing Devil’s Advocate cuz 90% of the time I ssh from home…[/quote]

:laughing: WTF is granny smith doing with a server if she doesnt know what she’s doing? We are talking about servers arent we? because I do have a gui on my laptop just not on my servers (because there’s no real advantage).

If i was going to go on holidays for 3 weeks I sure wouldnt leave anyone with access who would overwrite my stuff, change the root password and go on vacation.

Dont get me wrong, cpanel, plesk etc are great if you dont know what you’re doing, but if you dont know what you’re doing you probably shouldnt be attempting anything serious.

I actually have a free cpanel server through my job and all cpanel has done is get in the way of what i want to do and well plesk is even worse.

Who actually physically touches their servers, anyway?

[quote=“jesus”]

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]You’re looking at it like a programmer. The point of the gui is for a USER to make the program transparent and the keyboard is to enter data.

I’m actually playing Devil’s Advocate cuz 90% of the time I ssh from home…[/quote]

:laughing: WTF is granny smith doing with a server if she doesnt know what she’s doing? We are talking about servers arent we? because I do have a gui on my laptop just not on my servers (because there’s no real advantage).

If i was going to go on holidays for 3 weeks I sure wouldnt leave anyone with access who would overwrite my stuff, change the root password and go on vacation.

Dont get me wrong, cpanel, plesk etc are great if you dont know what you’re doing, but if you dont know what you’re doing you probably shouldnt be attempting anything serious.

I actually have a free cpanel server through my job and all cpanel has done is get in the way of what i want to do and well plesk is even worse.[/quote]

Cpanel is to be a client side software NOT server side software you dork. Why would you want people accessing your server with special permissions. Hence why they made cpanel / plesk

basic functions like ftp management email creating acc creating and file uploads file permissions etc etc… Tech some one one the phone how to use a ftp client when all they know how to use is front page with front page extensions YUK IT SUX…

The only time i touch my server is to plug in the fw External back p drive every friday and to open / eject the dvd drive to burn dvd’s.

Client side software? what are you smoking they dont run it on their desktops.

edit: nevermind I see what you meant, I wasnt saying they ran them on their desktops previously I was responding about cpanel.

For future reference client side software is what you run on your desktop and server side is on the server :wink:

You realize that you can do all of this without cpanel/plesk right?

Control panels are great for the webhosting buisiness because it allows people who dont know what they’re doing to put up a server relatively easy but if you know what you’re doing you dont need them. Oh and dont get me started on frontpage, we dont support it if the break it they’re on their own :wink:

[quote]
The only time i touch my server is to plug in the fw External back p drive every friday and to open / eject the dvd drive to burn dvd’s.[/quote]

The last time I touched my servers was to add more ram about 6 months ago, and eso to use X you dont need to touch the server :wink:

Yeah, network transparent graphical shells like X kind of invalidate my point about network transparent command line shells.