Discover SCUBA Diving (DSD) by Oceanwild

DSD introduces people to scuba diving
in a highly supervised and relaxed manner. It dispels common misconceptions
about scuba by letting individuals try it for themselves. Under the
guidance of a PADI professional, new divers learn basic safety concepts,
put on equipment and swim around underwater in the pool.

Dec. 5th, 2010, Min. age 12 years old. $99 per person.

Call Oceanwild @ 250-627-8682

When is our local dive shop going to create an opportunity for affordable dive trips, either by boat or organized shore dives? I loved that in Victoria there are about 15 local shore dive sites within 30 mins drive of downtown, and $140 per year got you unlimited air fills. My own research indicates the cheapest 2 tank dive on one day in Rupert is more than a year’s worth of air fills down south! So, my question is, is there anyone running $69 boat dives or know of a decent series of shore sites within a 30 min drive/boat ride from the harbour?

Unfortunately shore diving around Prince Rupert is not the best so I do not recommend it especially to visitors as they would never come back to dive here. The numerous sewer pipes pump alot of contaminants into the harbour and the marine habitat is greatly degraded and is not representative of what the diving is like here. There are a few divers in town that dive the waterfront and/or shore dive and a dive buddy list is kept at the shop. Shore dives have been organized in the past and can be in the future.

I do not think that there are 15 dive shops in Victoria, at least not when I lived there. Air fills are expensive and in fact most dive shops in Victoria and Vancouver charge from $7 to $10 per fill. I checked around for that “$140 per year got you unlimited air fills” special and could not find it at any of the dive shops I called. So if you could pass on the name that would be helpful.

As far as a $69 dive charter, for us, we would go broke as we only carry six divers plus a skipper and myself the divemaster guide, which would mean that after fuel (~$125 - $175) and paying the skipper (maybe) there would be no money for myself or the boat with all its special dive safety equipment. Unfortunately, we need to charge according to the expenses.

However, if you can find someone to take you out, there is a decent dive site at the south end of Tugwell Island, about a 30min boat ride from Prince Rupert. Not too deep, but there are strong currents in the area so I suggest that the boat (with skipper) remain “live” as opposed to anchored so that the boat and divers remain together. The skipper can keep an eye on the bubbles from the divers. The sites around Prince Rupert are highly influenced by the Skeena River and other freshwater runoff so underwater visibility can be down to zero feet during certain seasons and condtions. The further you get away from the river the better the visibility.

Hope this helps. Cheers

Just to let people know that the minimum age is 10 years old for this session and not 12 years as previously stated.

Final registration is on December 1, 2010.

Thanks

Last day to register for the pool session on Dec.5th.

4 spots still available