Democrats seize on McCain's Iran gaffe

Heh-heh, John McCain doesn’t understand who the combatants are in the Iraq war.  Awesome. :smiley:

(CNN) – The Democratic National Committee seized on John McCain’s apparent gaffe while discussing Iran Tuesday, saying it raises questions whether the Arizona senator “can be trusted to offer a clear way forward.”

The misstep in question occurred during a news conference in Jordan earlier Tuesday, when the presumptive Republican presidential nominee repeatedly said Iran was supplying al Qaeda. Iran is predominately a Shiite country and is not aiding the Sunni dominated Al-Qaeda.

McCain ultimately corrected himself after Sen. Joe Lieberman whispered in his ear.

“I’m sorry, the Iranians are training extremists, not al Qaeda. I am sorry,” the Arizona senator said.

DNC spokeswoman Karen Finney quickly pounced on the misstep.

“After eight years of the Bush Administration’s incompetence in Iraq, McCain’s comments don’t give the American people a reason to believe that he can be trusted to offer a clear way forward,” she said. “Not only is Senator McCain wrong on Iraq once again, but he showed he either doesn’t understand the challenges facing Iraq and the region or is willing to ignore the facts on the ground.”

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

It’s not like the average American really understands or cares about Sunni, Shiite, Extremist, Religious or secular distinctions.

They really don’t.

I mean they justified invading Iraq, the most secular, non-religious nation in the region.  The one government in the middle east that had zero connections to Al-Qaeda, the one leader (Saddam) who outright disagreed with Al-Qaeda, and whom Al-Qaeda considered an enemy.

How did they justify it?  By convincing a majority of Americans that Saddam was responsible for 9/11. 

So really, if there’s going to be war on Iran (again, why?  Even the CIA has said they don’t have a nuclear program), then they don’t need a justification.  Most Americans will just accept that they are evil and that’s that.

The Big Lie works very well indeed if it is repeated in a convincing manner to the people.

When did anybody say Saddam was responsible for 9/11?  I must have missed that on the news.
McCain has a great excuse for misspeaking, he can blame it on senility.

Heh-heh :smiley:  No argument from me…he is an elder statesman who forgot to retire:-)

Dick Cheney and others kept repeating it over and over and over again back in 2002 and 2003.

So much so that a majority of Americans believed it:

“Poll: 70% believe Saddam, 9-11 link”
usatoday.com/news/washington … iraq_x.htm

Damn 7 outta 10 Americans are some dumb muthafu**ers.  As an American that depresses me. 
Gees, I hate Bush worthless piece of crap. 
I can honestly say if Obama gets the nomination I’ll vote for him.

Go get em, Obama:-)

(CNN) — Barack Obama on Wednesday took aim at potential rival John McCain over the Arizona senator’s apparent misstep at a recent press conference in Jordon, the latest sign Democrats are looking to capitalize on the moment.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

What Obama said:

“Maybe that is why he voted to go to war with a country that had no Al Qaeda ties. Maybe that is why he completely fails to understand that the war in Iraq has done more to embolden America’s enemies than any strategic choice that we have made in decades.”

What most Americans (those who believed the 9/11-Iraq connection) heard:

Some Muslim named Iraq Hussein Osama is criticizing our war hero! 

Hopefully, you’re not correct.  I sincerely hope Americans are not that brain-dead.  We’ve got a few more months until November.  I hope the Democrats rally around a nominee soon.  I hope it is Obama.