Dell and Mandriva

I am an average xp/Vista user.  I have managed to stumble my way through those systems and do ok running, breaking and fixing any issues.  I have decided to try Linux,  I have a full copy of Mandriva 2009 powerpack ( 32 bit ).  First mistake was I did not install it so it was a dual boot system,  to be honest the idea kinda freaked me out.  I have Mandrive running very well on my sons acer laptop.  However I have run into a problem with my Dell 1720, It seems to have a known issue with its broadcom 802.11 wireless card driver and linux OPs. 
Does anyone have a suggestion that does not involve tossing the laptop off the patio? I am a very new user to linux, so the dumbed down version would be nice.
I am this close to re-installing Vista,  This close I say.

Thanks in advance.

Ubuntu.

I agree.  I’ve found Ubuntu to have exceptional hardware support.
You can download it for free.  Also, Ubuntu is a live CD meaning you can boot your computer from the CD and test out your hardware before you install it to your hard drive.

Ubuntu Download

If you do a google search you should find some hits on how to set-up wireless in Mandriva.

There are so many bastardized versions of Broadcom crap being used in laptops, it’s a total nightmare. Google 'mandriva ’ and check it out.
I had an HP where they used a USB version Broadcom hacked to the mobo, and it just wasn’t supported in the newer Linux kernel no matter what. I hunted down a compatible Linksys USB stick and popped it in when I booted to Ubuntu.
I have slowly moved ALL my Linux to Ubuntu variants, simply because it is the best supported distro there is . Google Ubuntu and any computer and someone’s done it, solved it, and posted a solution 99% of the time.
I’M about to install Linux Mint 6 on my AspireOne netbook and try it. I really don’t like the native OS and XP doesn’t run for shit on the AspireOne SSD model.

well,  I fixed it,  kind of. I installed ubuntu and it did not have the same problem.

Glad it worked out for you:)

I’ve always been impressed with Ubuntu’s out of the box hardware support.