D Link wireless

already done at work. dlink is now just a hub. moved files around network today :smiley:
home thing is a project: have set up a couple guys who get wireless to home out of town. They then use a home wireless to surf in their yard, like way out in the boonies. None wanted the file sharing thing yet, so never ran into that proelm before. But one will one day, and Iā€™ll need a way to do it that doesnā€™t gobble up IPs from the main block. so you need a way to see workgroups on the WAN side (IP range A) as well as LAN side (IP range 2). One that bridges . Without a $2500 Cisco boxā€¦

did it once with a USB long range wireless device into an XP box. The XP box bridged the USB to the NIC, which went into the Dlink. Other computers surfed thru the XP box. If I dedicated IPs on the same range as USB device, and used the Dlink as a hub all would work. And I just realized I have a free range of IPs reserved on that system to do that.

The difficulty lies in finding 2 devices that donā€™t interfere, as the last time I tried there was a 24db grid on the porch and the inside dlink showed huge packet losses, so the two systems interfered with each other.

I had to use a $500 tranzeo system outside and a $250 Dell home wireless on another, but it was a Dr who didnā€™t care about cost. Most of the small guys here are so fucking cheap they wonā€™t upgrade their DOS based inventory systems!

jason: if you use a hub on a non DHCP system, you need to give each one an IP.

But itā€™s just the shitty Dinks:
Linksys combo 5.8 & 2.4 system lets you see through it to the LAN on the WAN side. There are no hub options, it only has 1 input and wireless output. There was one in place, so I hooked to it and Win2K saw right thru it perfectly. It still sux, rather sell them a Cisco that looks impressiveā€¦

Anyways I also discovered that Broadcom wireless on HP laptops doesnā€™t work with 2000. Works fine with XP, but there are no drivers posted for 2000. It just gives ā€˜network cable unpluggedā€™ error on 2000. Two systems someone downgraded to 2000 w same problem on same laptop in 2 different businesses. The new z model laptops [zd7000 is impressive tho, wide screen and a numberpad!]

yeah but a laptop with a number pad is fucking hugeā€¦ why buy a laptop with all thatā€¦ it is suppose to be small and portable not heavy and thickā€¦

any wayā€¦ i just bought a new router wireless box because i ended oneā€¦ a net-gear 11b oneā€¦ works pretty goodā€¦ gunnna try it out side nowā€¦

On an almost unrelated tangentā€¦ my modem is BROKEN! Ok well maybe not broken, but itā€™s not working. It decided to quit on me almost 2 days ago now, and hopefully it will be fixed when I get home from work tonight. It was showing red at Citytel, and it was flashing yellow at my house (whatever that means) so I guess someone from Citytel had to flick a switch or something :wink:

Oh yeah, and going directly to htmf from javadotsuck works again!

i guess it works now huh? what kind of modem has a yellow light?

Try something like active directory to register your shares or something, if you have a win2k box on the network then when you login to the domain you should have your shares.

No it doesnā€™t work yetā€¦ I was at javadotsuck when I made that post.

I went to Citytel twice today, once to bring in my modem but I was given a brand new cable to try insteadā€¦ when that didnā€™t work, talked to Keith, brought in my modem again, and I now have a new one that worksā€¦ itā€™s just I havenā€™t got home to try it yet.