Cullen in charge of federal ethics comittee

The federal NDP announced their new shadow cabinet positions this morning, and while most of the party’s veteran MPs received positions as ministry critics, one MP was curiously missing from the list of appointments: the MP for Skeena-Bulkley Valley, Nathan Cullen.

Instead, Cullen has been appointed as the chair of the Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics; more commonly known as the “Ethics Committee.”

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 82069.html

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]The federal NDP announced their new shadow cabinet positions this morning, and while most of the party’s veteran MPs received positions as ministry critics, one MP was curiously missing from the list of appointments: the MP for Skeena-Bulkley Valley, Nathan Cullen.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 82069.html[/quote]

Guess he should have taken a shot at the BC NDP leadership after all, seems that we’ve been a tad marginalized in ole Jack’s happy camp.

[quote=“TheNorthernView”]The federal NDP announced their new shadow cabinet positions this morning, and while most of the party’s veteran MPs received positions as ministry critics, one MP was curiously missing from the list of appointments: the MP for Skeena-Bulkley Valley, Nathan Cullen.

Instead, Cullen has been appointed as the chair of the Standing Committee on Access to Information, Privacy and Ethics; more commonly known as the “Ethics Committee.”

Be interesting to hear what NDP supporters think of this development, as much as Mr. Cullen may want to make this sound like a good thing, it does seem that he’s going to have less of a presence in Ottawa for the next while. Offers up an opening in the debate over how we vote in elections, especially in the wake of the debate recently over how best to vote in the riding.

[quote=“CharlesMHays”]

Be interesting to hear what NDP supporters think of this development, as much as Mr. Cullen may want to make this sound like a good thing, it does seem that he’s going to have less of a presence in Ottawa for the next while. Offers up an opening in the debate over how we vote in elections, especially in the wake of the debate recently over how best to vote in the riding.[/quote]

A brave face is needed indeed to swallow this bitter pill. Everyone knows Mary Dawson, right? Mary, you know, she’s been holding this position for quite some time and has done lots and lots of real important things. Like…well, she is a nice person.

I think Nathan Cullen is an excellent MP. My guess is that he had a falling out with Layton over the gun registry. Personally if I had a vote, I would have kept the registry but when I heard Cullen speak on the issue he sounded like someone I would trust to find the best balance between the two groups. Layton and his supporters and Harper and his supporters are so entrenched that I don’t think they can understand the other side. It’s winner take all with them. I don’t think Cullen and most Canadians are that way.

Agreed. I also think that Nathan is an excellent MP. I don’t agree with him on all issues, but, he gets it right most of the time.

Oh for sure Nathan is a good politician. It’s just that he’s been relegated to the distant minor league.
How to get him back into the game?

[quote=“dabbledon”]Oh for sure Nathan is a good politician. It’s just that he’s been relegated to the distant minor league.
How to get him back into the game?[/quote]

Just let Layton and these Quebec rookies flap their gums for a few more weeks.

first off don’t think any committee’s will have any influence since a majority government holds all the power in committees, second off Jack better not think he has the Quebec votes next election, after all the hoopla over winning so many seats in Quebec by an average of 7000 votes or so a closer look would entail most of the votes were just protest votes against the other parties especially the Bloc, if Jack hangs onto more then 20% of his seats in Quebec next election I would be very surprised, but now he has to suck up to the seperatists for as most have said they constitute the majority of his MP’s, so his choice is to alienate his normal supporters or alienate his Quebec voters that most think will not vote his way next election